New firmware update coming for January?

After spending the last 24 hours wrestling with the (often times total) insanity that is Engine Prime software, I have to imagine that even if Denon DJ decided to never think about the sc5000, it still wants to develop and maintain Prime 4 customers - hence needing Engine Prime to function in a way that makes sense to a user.

I’ve been holding off since December posting and submitting issues related to the software side of EP, assuming that an update is forthcoming. I totally get, and am sympathetic to the fact that, EP is a relatively new piece of software being built from the ground up. That is awesome to me. But at some point soon, at least creating a basic USB drive should be simplified/streamlined/make sense (ie. Collection and Crate vs Playlists + USB profile AND export to USB + Job Monitor info + adding new tracks to an existing usb from the Prime Collection, etc. etc) .

2 Likes

Matt I am 100% on board with this message! EP is such a HUGE contrast to the Prime system experience itself and is so frustrating it sadly distracts from that wonderful Prime experience. So much so that I have just started leaving EP out of the process and am just dropping tracks straight to my USB, which stinks because that also isn’t the optimum way to do things. But it’s still WAY better than using EP.

1 Like

Now it’s make sense why my friends who work for Inmusic tell me we would have no firmware update before the launch of prime 4 in march

I’m surprised by the dearth of new announcements from the entire DJ industry so far. Prime4 - Admirable. Traktor - predictably underwhelming. Technics - meh. Reloop - ok but not interesting for me. Pioneer hasn’t released anything truly high end for an age, a lot of units are 3 years old +/-

Hopefully Denon will at least talk about the future of the Prime ecosystem as a whole before NAMM is over. Standalone Soundswitch?

2 Likes

Funny, I was just thinking this earlier. What a terribly overall depressing NAMM for all things DJ related. I was hoping for more from Denon this NAMM especially considering the many Prime sales that took place.

I have no doubt that some Prime4 features will make it to the 5000s. If it does fine …If not it’s not the apocalypse

I just want them to improve the engine prime software.

Add a few tracks to Serato and it’s a 2 hour job to refresh that in EP.

I do hope we won’t still be having this discussion at NAMM2020…but this time with P4 owners in the mix

1 Like

Yeah I assumed the Prime 4 was revealed a few days early to give them enough space to do a one-two punch of Prime 4 Hardware and then POW Prime Software and Ecosystem.

Considering how lacklustre NAMM has been for DJs (Denon has flat out “won it”) I suppose they could be waiting to quash any potential move from a competitor during 2019 Q1 with their next announcement.

1 Like

I’ve heard from someone inside “big software” update this month… nothing else about detail but Software suggests engine prime

1 Like

But January is almost finished mate no? Let’s hope for the next week

1 Like

I had heard the same but not releasing at NAMM means it’s probably not coming til Prime 4 drop. But I’d love to be wrong!

2 Likes

I just cant wait to get updates on a reguarly basis, as Paul said… Looking forward for that to happen.

1 Like

My apologies I may have mislead a little - I’ve re read the message, “PS, we have new software coming soon for the players… and some new product for Denon announced this week !!!”

So not Jan for software, but certainly new software at some point for players…

They’re already great players. Doesn’t matter if they get more firmware or not imo

1 Like

There awesome, massive potential - but there are a lot of bugs at the moment that get in the way of a flowing mix - especially if you only have one deck. End issues with engine prime crashing and loosing databases of cue points etc.

They will be awesome soon !

The only workflow improvements I really “need” are search within playlist/crate only and search/sort by comment and genre tags.

The only feature I “want” is key play.

3 Likes

You said it honestly!!! Nail on the head!!!

Oh and bulk analysis of tracks on drives!

The good news is the stuff we’re seeing on the Prime 4 we WILL be getting a lot of that too! And that’s been mentioned in NAMM demos from the Denon people.

1 Like

For me I want to be able to rate tracks on the fly - otherwise the ‘laptop free’ play never comes true.

I suggested key play over a year ago on here, it would certainly change the dynamic of the players.

2 Likes

Full spectrum beat grid adjustments/editing on deck. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

These decks are great as they are but they do need updating to refine what is already there.

I’ve been along time Traktor user but never used it to it’s full potential never needed to. But the sc5000m is kinda like using Traktor to it’s full potential. From the way I’ve been using it.

6 Likes

I’m surprised the Prime 4 doesn’t have Pitch Play, seems it would be trivial to add.