NEW Engine DJ 2.2 Discussion

And still no relink option for orphaned files?

simple with download from USB, or even better via Wifi from my Google Dive, Drop Box or other storage systems. A dream would be if I just connect my iphone or Ipad and take a playlist from Itunes I prepared and I put on the sd card to use But as it’s impossible for the Software to just sync itunes and only transfer the new files on the sd card, it will not happen. As Software I would prefer Algoriddim Djay that works easy with ITunes. I have not much hope the engine database will get better, but maybe someone from denon read it and think of invest some time in the basic needs of a dj The Hardware is excellent, the prime go is what I always looked for, so I live with the software Won’t update, as long as no features included that I really need and so I have no problems just the workflow is not as easy

1 Like

No, in this version. Let’s wait and see what happens in the future.

Let’s be completely honest … We’re become super expectant and needy as DJs. I’m 42 years old, have played for 27 and (thankfully) still able to keep up with the digital development. But in the “old” days, there were not at all the technological possibilities as today, and we still managed to play for the guests. Many young DJs today do not have a proper backcatalog of music and are deeply dependent on various streaming services (I can only recommend that you build up a backcatalog).

Then there are those who want their players to almost mix for them (automix / autofade), because they are mobile DJs ?! I do not understand it. You are a DJ, mix the music yourself, and if it is because you play at weddings or the like, make a mix from home that you can put on during dinner. I do this myself regularly (when I practice at home) and have several different mixes, typically in about 2 hours length which I use for dinner.

I myself have had my clashes with Denon and have been blocked by them both here and from their Facebook and Instagram, but to say that “they do not listen to their users / customers” is directly wrong. Maybe they did not listen to you, or to me about a feature we think would be great. Maybe they were actually listening, but it just did not fit in right now.

They (Denon) have given us a forum where we actually have some kind of co-determination on what features we would like. And I’m sure every suggestion that comes along will be flipped and turned by devs to see if it fits their vision.

Yes there are still some basic options missing on the players (in my opinion, and due to the fact how much they can offer) themselves and yes Engine Dj Desktop can continue to improve but I have no doubt that this will happen too. Until then, we must greatly appreciate that our machines today can do more than they could yesterday, and even more than the text on the box.

And more gets added - for free.

Lets appreciate this.

9 Likes

Dont know your workflow, but just to (maybe) give you an idea…

In iTunes I have made 1 main folder, called MUSIK (Music)…and in that folder I have all my crates/ playlists…

So when I update the different playlists with new tracks, I go in to Engine Dj, do the iTunes Folder sync/ update → go to Collection tab, right-click on the MUSIK-folder and choose Remove folder. All the existing tracks incl. loops, cues etc. still stays in the Engine database, they are just not put in to folders/ playlists.

Skærmbillede 2022-04-27 kl. 14.37.29

Then I go to the iTunes tab in Engine, and drag that ONE folder (MUSIK) in to my collection, and then it actually just put things (tracks) back in place and quickly add the new tracks in the right playlists / add new playlists. Its quite easy. :slight_smile: and all in one operation.

My database contains around 60.000 tracks and this progress takes less than 5 minutes - and then I just need to update my drive.

2 Likes

Yeah I dunno, updating your sd card by plugging in a usb doesn’t sound too different to me from plugging in a computer; actually it seems like an extra step since you had to put tracks on the usb with a computer. I guess it would be cool to be able to update removable storage over Wi-Fi, then again I don’t touch engine desktop (use rekordbox) at all so it wouldn’t help me lol.

You need no laptop for music. If I get music from the studio I get it via Google drive, lots of promos I just load from mail to my online storage spaces so no laptop needed, just for engine :joy:

You can already do this

Then you really need a computer . Correct me if im wrong but engine doesnt run on a phone and you cant always set grids accuratly in OS. Also bitrates are degraded on mobile phones. Phones should be used for as their name implies phoning people. Not being a dj…storing music… watching netbox or anything else you would use a computer for… What is this world coming to? If i want the light on i get up of my ar5e and press a switch on the wall. Not sit their for five minutes arguing with Georgia or whatever her name is because she thought i said kettle or something else completly random. And dont even get me started on mybragfacetwitpage… tracy from scunthorpe knows nothing…

Anyone run 2.2 on the 5 or 6000s? Stable? Thx!

Running smoothly on all my 3 SC5000’s

2 Likes

So good to hear! Thank you!

1 Like

Stable on my SC6000s as well :boom:

1 Like

They implemented one of our three dozen feature requests that have been sitting on this forum for over five years. They literally chose the dumbest possible feature to implement, instead of making Engine DJ glitch-free or fixing a handful of proven glitches on the prime series. We still can’t even relocate missing tracks, or sync our Engine DJ crates with our external harddrives. What is this garbage?

There is a serious gap between what is needed and whatever they’re doing. There is no plan on their end; nothing makes sense with the way they are adding and updating things.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

As someone that DJed for a bit in Scunthorpe a few years back, I can vouch for that.

1 Like

@djbertie the world and powers to be move in mysterious ways…

by now we know the names of those who complain by heart! they are always the same :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Sadly a nice feature was removed with adding active loop. When looping u can half or double the loop with the loop wheel. But i find that hard to do consistently. And before the 2.2 update it was possible to use the parameter buttons to half and double the loop (< = HALF, > = DOUBLE). But with the new update the < Parameter Button is used to set active loops. Is there anyway to disable that feature and get me loop controls back?

You can use the parameter buttons to increase or decrease the length of the loop in Auto Loop Mode. Pressing Loop pad while in Manual Loop Mode will enter Auto Loop Mode (the secundairy pad loop mode).

1 Like

Yes i know, but thats not ideal either as you can not go lower then 1/4. But i just found out when being in auto loop mode, the paramater buttons work like before to double or half the loop. So there is a workaround but its not as straightforward like just pressing the parameter buttons without needing to worry about in which pad mode i am.