New controller for second layer?

The numbers you’re using are complete garbage… You think the SC6000 costs more to make than a PS5 (~450 USD)?

It wouldn’t suprise me if the SC6000 costs maybe <200 USD to make, including assembly.

The margins on DJ gear are enormous, because we idiots paid that much and continue to pay that much.

In Denon’s defense to their pricing they do continue to invest in their software, without adding subscription based strategies, and we’ve gotten many new features and improvements since the initial release so the profits on the gear seem to mostly go back into development.

As for shooting themselves in the foot by having a controller, I doubt it as in the conventional setup it would leave the user either having to reach over the mixer to control the second layer whilst also being able see the screen on the SC6000, or lean over from the controller to see the screen - it doesn’t sound comfortable.

Additionally, those that would buy the controller with only 1x SC6000 are those that would not have the money at the time to buy a second SC6000, they may be saving up in which case a short term solution of €500 whilst in the long term saving up for another player is not a bad way to go. Win win for Denon there.

Ok ok ok I had to guess at what price the mystery laidback luke leak lump is. Heck we’re all guessing What it is, so price is anyone’s guess and that’s what I did, guess.

Profit guesses were based on what I know from hifi brown goods profits of a retailer buys in a TV at their buying in price and sells it for the recommended sale price, which is usually about 20% to 30 up from the buying in price

I’m good to bow to you better factual prices of profit, if you have these for DJ equipment.

Exactly. I will never spend €3K on two players, but I can see myself spending €1500 on a SC6K knowing that a second deck would only cost me €500. At this moment I’m not comfortable with buying just 1 SC6K because you have to switch layers to control the second deck.

So I’m convinced such a controller would lower the entry barrier to the SC players, and thus tapping into an extra market.

Even better would be the controller to be fully MIDI Class Compliant so it can be used with other software as well.

TVs are not a good example to use as they have a larger consumer base which helps drive prices down. DJ gear has a relatively small consumer base, who, over the years have got used to paying considerably more for gear. You can see the same thing in the pc market with graphics cards at the minute - I remember it wasn’t so long ago that £300-400 would buy you a top of the line card, and now they retail for £1500.

As for retailers taking their 20-30% then yes, they do that. But they buy the units from Denon first at wholesale, which, while cheaper than retail, is still marked up so the manufacturer takes their cut.

If the retailers decide to sell them for cheaper than MSRP then it is the retailers taking a smaller profit, not the wholesale supplier.

I’ll pull out of this discussion - it’s for the best.

I was just thinking that denon would probably rather sell two main decks than a deck and a slave deck.

But, it also fits that if customers couldn’t afford two main decks, and didn’t want just one deck, they might change from being a non-customer to a customer by buying 1 main + 1 slave

So it’s win win either way

Maybe Denon is not in for the big margins at this point - but rather for gaining market share?

Also, just looking at the costs to build a unit is wrong. There’s huge costs for R&D that have to be split among a relatively small amount of units being sold.

2 Likes

Having a controller deck can extend the life of your prime unit.

Also I wonder if 2 of the leaked units can be slaved to a prime 4?

2 Likes

Couldn’t you use just a deck to do that? There could more to the unit than just being a controller. It could be a network hub, USB hub, storage hub. Or it could just be a dumb matching prime controller.

Since the leaked/teaser video of this mysterious controller, nothing next, not even another teaser…

On the other side, Pioneer teased, announced and released 2 pieces of high end gears with direct availability in stores !

Denon show really change their communication, and logistic strategy !!! In France we don’t even have the SC6000Ms in stores yet !!! crazy.

1 Like

That’s strange - I was just thinking about this myself!

Considering the Denon leak was first, they could have really taken advantage of the buzz around the CDJ-3000 - the official blurry teaser video, the “leaked” pictures, the reactions…

What do we get? Nothing.

Mind you, I’d much rather have some software/firmware updates that fix the existing broken stuff first, then give us some of the popular requested features. The big reveal can come after that.

1 Like

Foreigner Mode: ON

I wanna know what this iiiiiiiis

I want you to show meeeeeee

I wanna feel what this iiiiiiis

I know you can show meeeeee

:hourglass_flowing_sand:

3 Likes

I doubt that anyone is

Waiting for a girl like you

1 Like

Ooh, you’re as Cold As Ice

2 Likes

If you guys are interested

Define “soon” :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris Roman was saying similar things during his interview (the link to a video was posted here a while ago) but nothing’s happened (yet).

Only just found this thread. Yes its a new product that Luke was asked to drop into one of his videos as a spy-shot.

Watch this space, more to come soon !.

1 Like

Is that “standard soon” or “Denon soon”? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would say Denon soon, but who knows. :innocent:

2 Likes

He’s spicy guys :thinking:

2 Likes

Are you close enough with Denon DJ staff to tell there is more to come “soon” ???

1 Like