Network Ableton link to midi

Hello, I am looking for a non-computer hardware solution to get ableton link from Denon gear network to a midi din 5 translator. Anyone maybe knows that kind of hardware? I plan to use SC6000 decks with some midi synced hardware fx, with my Xone96.

I donā€™t know of anything ā€œnon-computerā€, as the only standalone hardware unit seems to be the Missing Link box by Circuit Happy, which is basically a Raspberry Pi in a box.

3 Likes

Now I have a trace to start looking further. Thank You. Any more people know something?

Would be also cool if next generation denon decks could have a 5pin din midi in/out for sync with hardware like fx, grooveboxes, samplers etcā€¦

Specially if You use a third party mixer that canā€™t translate denons protocol to midi. Definitely it would be a great upgrade.

As mentioned in the previous postā€¦

I use their Eurorack offering and it is a great product.

1 Like

Any of this mpc one, maschine plus, x1850 ā€¦ I use maschine plus connected via lan to distribute midi clock

Thatā€™s a cool device, I will definitely test it, bummer that it doesnā€™t have a wired LAN connection. But worth to check anyway. I wander how it goes with stability in a crowded venue with a lot of cellphones with active wifi.

There was a set performed by Sebastien Leger for Denon in 2021 where heā€™s syncing Prime kit with synths and a TR-707 via an Akai Force.

At the moment, it seems to me that the best solution is to use mpc one. It cost more than Missing Link but you will get a much more useful device for creative DJing

That is a considerable option. I have akai force, but wanted something smaller (specially if I donā€™t plan to use the force at that specific dj set).

But please keep the ideas coming, more to explore, the better :grinning:

I think i am trying to accomplish the same thing:- I want to midi sync my Sc6000mā€™s with some FX pedals and an analogue mixer. I was looking at an IOS app (Link to MIDI | Alexandernaut)and one of these cables (mioXC ā€” iConnectivity) and might take a gamble to see if it worksā€¦

The connection would be Sc6000mā€™s (Ableton Link via Wifi) ā€”> ā€˜Link to Midiā€™ app on my USB-C iPhone (which sound join the Link Session and output midi sync data) ā€”>USB-C to Midi Cable ā€”> FX Pedal(s) Midi Din

Iā€™m surprised no oneā€™s released a MIDI interface with Link yet.

@aaaguy Yes, as mentioned twice already, months ago at the top of the thread. OP wanted non-computer hardware, which that isnā€™t - and itā€™s also very expensive.

MIDI I/O boxes can be had for a fraction of that, but none (as yet) incorporate Ableton Link.

My gamble paid off and seemingly works great. @NoiseRiser if you are still looking, then you can sync and convert the Ableton Link session from the Denon gear to your hardware midi din pedals but youā€™ll need the followingā€¦

• iOS device.
  • Link to Midi (free ios app) that uses WIFI to connect to the players Link Session and convert to Midi Sync
  • iConnectivity mioXC (USBC to Midi Din cable approx. Ā£40 GBP)

I think there are other, cheaper cables out there but i wanted to try and a reputable make first. No idea if there is an Android alternative to the above app so this might be an iOS only solution.

2 Likes

Interesting, I will check this. Thanks for the info.

This could be a concept for a future product from Denon (or one of the inMusic companies).

A simple box with traditional MIDI 5 pin DIN I/O (and maybe have USB MIDI) but can also communicate with Ableton Link , via wifi or LAN.

Sounds like a raspberry pi project.

But in general would be awesome if new denon decks would have midi in and out for synchronisation with midi devices - like for hybrid setups with hardware synths, sequencers, effects, samplers - this would make denon decks the ultimate go to unit for live act artists.

Thatā€™s exactly what the Circuit Happy device is, but IMO heā€™s overcharging.

Yes, it is completely possible ā€“ I do it all the time with either one of these two mobile apps:

anroid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details

ios:

in my experience, the android app is more reliable and simpler to incorporate in my setup w my pixel 4 since all i need is a usb to midi cable and usb a to usb c adapter.

i use this to sync my deluge sequencer w the decks and then pipe that audio back in to the aux input of my denon sc live 4 for 4 synchronized decks, drum + synth tracks all in key too.