Move Engine Prime Library to External Drive

I’m sure this is buried in a post somewhere but after searching around quiet a bit today I can’t find an answer. If anyone can point me to a post that might help or tell me their experience I would greatly appreciate it.

I’m starting to run out of hard disk space on my macbook and want to move my library (database and music files) to an external drive. Is there a way to do this without losing my library data (crates, hotcues, beatgrids, etc).

Is it possible to export my current library using device panel or sync manager to the external drive and then use that as my new engine prime library? I’m not sure how I would be able to tell engine prime to use this database on the external drive as it’s new master database even if this is possible.

Once again I apologize for posting this as a new question but I haven’t been able to find an answer in other posts that really explains how to point my existing engine prime installation to the new database once I do move it (by either exporting or manually moving the engine prime database folders).

Would also love to know this because the charge port on my laptop is gubbed and not sure how long I have left before it stops working. I have my whole collection on an external, so that’s safe, but I’m afraid I’ll lose all the work I’ve put in making crates and such on Engine.

No official way afaik

Unofficial

• Rekordcloud

• Convert your current Engine Library database to rekordbox or serato

• Move the converted database and music files to external

• Then convert it back to Engine Prime

Good luck

@Christiaan will this work?

1 Like

Way easier really. You can upload your Engine Prime library to rekordcloud and then use Relocate Files to move them to a new drive. Then simply download your library and they will be at the right place.

Of course Engine Prime support is in beta, so make a backup before doing this and let me know if it all goes well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll do some experimentation on another computer and see which method looks like it will work best before I mangle my library too much :slight_smile:

I’m in the exact same boat so thanks guys for the replies so far. Already had to reimport my library once before so desperate to avoid having to do it again.

How is Denon library exported… I don’t see the info in your webpage. I would be interested in using it, moving my collection to external hard drive and clean duplicates, but I don’t see it clear

@Christiaan question for you

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not really on the website because support for EP is in beta. I don’t want to advertise it as long as it’s in beta :slight_smile: Everything works, just minor beatgrid issues when tracks are locked.

What happens is that the Rekordcloud Companion App scans your EP database and uploads it to Rekordcloud. There you can do things like scan for duplicates and many of the other things. When you’re done, you download it back into EP and you can see your changes.

1 Like

Correct me if i’m wrong @Christiaan

1. Upload current library database to RC using companion App
  2. Move actual music files to new destination
  3. Start RC companion app with new laptop or new collection drive
  4. Relocate files with reference to the new music files location
  5. Download EP database library from RC
1 Like

Yes, perfect!

Make sure to be precise in step 4, a tiny mistake there will make EP to see the tracks as missing

1 Like

I’ll be 100% honest I didn’t test out rekordcloud because I couldn’t find any information on how this process worked. Thanks for the update. I may check it out in the future as I’d love to simply be able to update the path to the files in the engine prime database.

What I ended up doing was kicking the can down the road a little bit by simply moving my files and then creating a symbolic link to the new destination. This worked for me for now but this is a little more technical than i’d care to try and explain on a forum and there are definitely some caveats like making sure you add new music through the correct path so you don’t end up with a bunch of weird file paths associated with your files. This would be cumbersome to deal with over time as if you moved them again you’d need to make even more sym links etc.

@Christiaan , when you remove duplicates from rekord cloud will it give you a list of file names as well? I have some songs that are actually duplicates but the file name is just slighty different (extra hyphen in a random spot etc). I’d love to be able to easily clean out those unused files as well to save space.

I wrote an article about relocating files here: Tutorial: Switching from macOS to Windows - rekordcloud

It applies to your situation too, minus the OS switching of course.

Yes you can simply scan for duplicates and save the duplicates to a new playlist where you can go through it manually.

2 Likes

Exciting feature.

Can I ask if rekordcloud gives any options for variation or “cleverness” or fuzzy matching when it’s scanning for duplicates? Or is it just looking for identical file size, identical file name, identical audio duration etc

I’ve found a lot of other de-duplicate softwares that I’ve tried have lacked features for audio.

For example: I might have two Radio edits of the same song, same artist etc. Tags are the same, file names the same, different directory maybe but one has 4 seconds of silence at the end, the other has 2 seconds of silence at the end, so musically it’s a duplicate but some de-dupe programs won’t see that

There are 2 different scans going on:

1. Audio fingerprinting. This detects identical audio files, regardless of filename or tags.
  2. Artist & title tags. This detects duplicates where both artist and title are the same. This is pretty strict so clean titles work best here.

This usually catches most duplicates. But there can always be edge cases (your 2 or 4 second radio edits might be one). But it’s better to be strict here and miss a few duplicates than the opposite.

OK, Giving it a try.

So far so good, uploaded the library without having to show where the library is and total number match (others like genre … not sure, I will dig on it).

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 20.17.22

Currently moving my music from local Mac OS Hard Drive Music Folder to an External Hard Drive. I have also more music in another External Toshiba Hard Drive and the idea is to move everything to the Maxtor Hard Drive.

Let’s see the results

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 20.48.39

1 Like

Boss move right there. It will make your life easier when all your music is consolidated.

Dont forget to plan for backing up the maxtor.

A good program (mac only) is Carbon Copy Cloner. I swear by it.

The clone will also work exactly like your main external.

Another advantage of using external is that you can use it with your Primes if you need your entire library for a gig. Searching may be a tad bit slowly than a smaller crate drive but servicable!

2 Likes

Apparently everything relocated (but 114 files I have to check). Easy.

But when Downloading to the new Mac + Engine (closed app):

Fail. I’ll send you the log file @Christiaan

Were you able to get it to work?

Sorry.

I bit away from here for some time.

No, we didn’t managed. To be honest @Christiaan did his best analyzing the problem, coming back to me with new versions and improved results, but as music and crates were perfect in my Denon SSD were everything was already fixed in terms of right bpms/grids, hot cues etc and we were facing minor errors but important to me like Engine asking me to re-analyze everything at the end I end up looking for my own way.

What I did is to use my Denon Prime SSD as the main source, so I always copy the music directly to the Denon Prime SSD using Engine Desktop, and the sync from the Prime SSD to the main collection instead of all the way around.

This way helped me to continue working.

But now, Engine v2 is out there and I’m about to do a full backup, just in case this method is not allowed in the new version of the software and firmware :frowning: