More Waveform Zoom Out is Needed - Prime 4+ (Match Pioneer)

I know this feature has been requested before but I don’t believe there is a current vote going for this request.

Who would benefit? - Anyone with a screen and a waveform.

The zoom out feature on Prime 4+ is sorely lacking and could be a HUGE advantage if the ability to zoom out was more.

For example: Currently, on an 80 BPM track I can’t even see two bars ahead of what is playing. On a 128 track, it’s not even 3 bars.

Engine DJ on PC is able to zoom out up to 30 seconds, the P4+, only 5 seconds.

I work at a DJ retail store and the amount of people who don’t get a Denon / Prime 4+ based on that they cannot zoom out far enough to line up, in advance, the new track with the drop of a playing track and instead get a pioneer unit is huge.

We can loop up to 64 beats on the Denon units, but can’t even zoom that far out. We can deal with a lot of long phrase songs / intros and songs that are tricky to mix.

PLEASE bring this a feature update!

6 Likes

There are existing feature requests you can vote on for this, so expect this to get closed.

In the meantime, you can utilise this thing called the ‘overview waveform’ to see where your track marker is sat in relation to a drop or breakdown.

Also this link is handy in understanding the structure of music and how to count beats. Learn this skill and you’ll never need to rely on images on a screen again.

Link to thread to vote on the request.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/more-zoomout-on-the-beatgrid-with-use-of-knob/36950/11

1 Like

I know the overview is there, but having something to go between the overview and the current zoom range can definitely have it’s uses.

As you would know, tracks are not all the same, some have a shorter or longer phrases that could throw anyone off. If you’re trying out a new track, that you don’t know well yet, this would be perfect.

I have already voted on that thread, but it’s getting close to 2 years old now and wanted to bring some fresh life to the topic.

2 Likes

On forums like this, it’s not really seen as ‘breathing new life into a topic’, more ‘duplicating already discussed subjects’… so id save yourself some time by not re-hashing these subjects in new threads.

I don’t personally use the waveform zoomed out at all, it’s more mid way on my device. As far as new tracks go I’ll just listen to it in my headphones whilst im cueing it to learn the basic structure then use the overview to see where various elements of the track are, then use the 32 beat phrase logic to count in drops etc, listening out for the various indicators the phrase is changing (drum fills, claps, change of chords etc)

Exactly AND the risk is , if there are say three duplicate requests, for pretty much the same feature, each of them could dilute the voting. So instead of one feature request getting a respectable 100 votes, you could end up with 3 “ideas” each getting only about 30 votes each which wouldn’t necessarily be enough to draw a developers eye.

4 Likes

Fully agreed with @Asterixx. Not every track has a conventional build-up. It would definitely help a lot if we could zoom out further. Even up to the point where we could see the whole track, if it was up to me.

3 Likes

You do realise that having a ‘scrolling waveform’ would be impossible if the whole track was displayed on screen right? there wouldn’t be anything to animate.

And as above you have this for that function. It does exactly what you need.

1 Like

There we are, 1 x nicely zoomed out waveform. It’s been there all the time

1 Like

Yes I realize that. The overview waveform is definitely useful but not a full replacement. For instance, it doesn’t have a grid (that wouldn’t be possible as it is too small for that) and we see no bar numbers. I still find it very useful for multiple reasons, for instance the white markers below the waveform on every minute allow us to judge the time quite nicely.

For some reason the SC6000 (maybe 5000 too?) allows us to zoom out a little bit further than on the Prime 4(+) which is great already. I borrowed one from a friend a while ago and it felt really liberating that I could zoom out a bit more. I used it all the time. But even more control is definitely welcome to cover all potential edge cases.

If it doesn’t apply to your user case, that’s fine. Just don’t zoom out fully :slight_smile: But it would be really awesome if the option was there for the people that do want to use it.

1 Like

And that’s what the voting system is for (on the relevant thread of course), so you can add your vote to it.

Thank you, this is what I did indeed.

1 Like

I’m sure I dropped my vote on this a while back - I best check.

I have the SC5000M, Prime 4 and Prime Go and the SC5000M zooms out more than the Prime 4 and the Prime 4 has a 10” screen.

I’ll confess that I don’t have mine zoomed in that much. It’s mostly out at maximum in any software. Longer blends with FX layering etc are my jam at home and having the ability to see quite far ahead would be greatly received on the P4/Go.

2 Likes

They should definitely move the marker to the left I think.

1 Like

It could definitely do with a little more movement to the left. I think they did it a while back as it used to be at 50%. It’s kinda at 40% from memory.

It’s strange as the 5000M allows much more zoom out.

2 Likes

Stu-c, that’s fine that you have your own style that you use, everyone mixes differently and some aren’t going to agree that your way works for them. It’s a creative industry, let people be creative.

3 Likes

I get that, but 2 years and 40 votes on it, this will either help send people to that post or get more.

I think there will be more people that are after it now, especially with denon upping their game recently has made people look at their products as a more viable option, at least in Australia. But there are a few things holding people back and this, IMO, is one of the bigger ones.

To be clear, I’m only suggesting more zoom, not full range zoom out to see the entire track, that’s already a feature as you have pointed out. If the PC /Mac software has the ability to go to a 30 second scrolling waveform, clearly there is a use for that.

1 Like

That could be, some might say, part of the reason why it’s not been implemented - the request/suggestion has been running for a long long time and yet has only picked up just a measly 40 votes in 2 years - just 20 votes per annum, the suggestion has hardly picked up any traction in over two years; many many other requests have eclipsed it, overtaken it.

Remember too thst the screen isn’t laptop width… there will be a point where zooming out more than it’s current max zoom out could lose detail, rendering the resulting waveform too “blunt” too detail-less. Say they offered a double as zoomed out level of detail, a minute of waveform where previously only 30 seconds had been - all the detail Inc beatgrids would be twice as bunched up as the 30 seconds display of grid etc had been, all bunched up and too close to see clearly. This could be why it’s not been implemented.

I’m not saying that it should be permanently zoomed out to that level, but variable with the pinch in/out. Can start a loop or a track and quickly zoom in or out to see it’s in the right place, not catching the lyrics that start just before the 1st beat of the verse etc.

The fact that the screen is smaller than a laptop screen is actually an argument to let users zoom out more because we can’t look ahead that far. On the tiny Pioneer 7" screens it is possible to zoom out really far, so if they can do it…

Also the SC5000 can actually zoom out further and it has a 7" diagonal. As I’ve understood, if a feature can’t be implemented for whatever reason, the thread will be closed with status can’t be done. So there’s hope for those users who want to be able to zoom further :slight_smile:

1 Like