Microphone Delay

I’ve just picked up a Denon SC Live 4 and I’m using it on a gig as I type this. I use a microphone and there is a delay coming through the main outputs when I talk. It’s only small, as if it’s running through a DSP but when I monitor in the headphones or booth it’s not there. Before anyone says it, it’s not audio delay from the main speakers back to the DJ box - it sounds like an actual micro delay effect. Any one else had this issue??

I’ve had the same issue on a SC Live 4 too.

We purchased one in Singapore for a ship and experienced the same micro-delay on the mic. We never could never eliminate it and couldn’t take it back due to the ships location.

I don’t have access to it anymore as I’m not in that ship but maybe you could work with the team to help nail down what it is.

Yeah it’s deffo some digital processing on the mic - really weird and it’s not in the headphones on booth! I’ll message someone Denon wise tomorrow!

I still need to get to the bottom of it but it’s been a year now. It’s makes the mic unusable.

Actually found this from @Craig_Ranson

1 Like

It’s a bit like those BT speakers that you can also connect wired. Even wired they suffer from the same latency as when used with BT.

I AM wondering how you conclude it’s not a delay caused by the distance from the speaker to the booth? Are the speakers right next to the booth? And if you say micro-delay, what kind of ms are we talking about? A distance of 10ft already incurs a 10ms delay. Hence the question.

Again, not saying it isn’t DSP induced, after all DSP’s CAN add to signal processing time and thus cause delays, BUT you would think that this would not only apply to the microphone.

I don’t know the SC in particular, but if it’s mic channel is anything like on the Prime 4, it’s just EQ, reverb and volume controls. And ducking obviously, but that only affects the other level(s) or main in this case and not the mic signal. Which makes me wonder what processing signal path is so significantly different that it does not affect all other audio channels but only the mic.

Other question, do you notice a difference when you play from the aux-channel? This is the only other channel on the unit (if I am not mistaken) that is external in the sense that it doesn’t come from a digital source.

My 3 cents as usual.