Maybe a silly Q: Is there a way to keep 6000M platter spinning when it reaches end of track?

I sometimes / often load short samples to cut & scratch on my 6000M players - so I find it annoying that the platter stops spinning as soon as the player hits the end of the (short) sample waveform. So, does anyone know of a way to just keep the SC6000M platter spinning even after it reaches the end of a sample / track (just like most vinyl DJ turntables would)???

I really appreciate your feedback - thanks.

Yeah, thought i’d ask that ‘silly question’ before i started editing my 700 or so samples & scratch sounds into longer audio files.

I think that the 6000M player should do everything it can to emulate real vinyl turntables - that’s the point right? That’s why we paid a bunch more money for the spinning platters (compared to the non-Ms).

Honestly, how hard can it be to have the same firmware for all the players (Ms & non-Ms) that simply detects when it’s on an M (versus a non-M) and, when it’s on an M, it just adds a switch in the settings menu to let the user decide whether or not to keep the platter spinning at the end of the file. It’s like maybe 2 lines of code, and, by implementing in this simple way it would not ‘violate’ anything, while greatly improving the ‘true vinyl’ experience (whereby turntables don’t stop spinning just because the audio sample has ended, as well as solving a bunch of other issues).

Anyway, looks like I’ll have to hit the audio editing software for a ridiculously long time to extend all of my short samples with silence (maybe I’ll write a macro or something to "auto-add’ silence at the end of my short sample files as a batch process. Not fun!

noticed same as a long term Serato timecode dvs user myself. I’m used to having the vinyl constantly rotating. I load a track and grab the timecode.

unfortunately the 6000m don’t work like so, in standalone mode. They come to a full stop when it reaches the end.

I think it keeps rotating in controller mode though when used with serato.

Have you tried turning slicer mode on for this? If I recall correctly, I think it goes into essentially an emergency loop at the end of the track. That, in addition to the hot cues, might be enough without needing to add silence to the end of the tracks. Another interesting feature request would be Shift + Vinyl causing the Vinyl button to blink to provide Cue Scratch mode like the Hanpin linkable players. Since the Ms appear to properly detect scratching vs bending by way of the moving platter, it seems like they’d be just as able to do that as the non-Ms.

One thing you can do is use a daw to create a track with 8 samples. Set the bpm to 80 and leave the first bar as empty space then drop your samples in and leave a bar of space between them and leave a bar of space at the end. When you finished creating and rendering then load it up to your deck and have fun.

This is how most have been doing it for years.

The continiius mode button should affectt this. The platter shouitld just keep spinning on track load. That would be nice.

That’s already an option… assuming you don’t have a problem with turning lock playing deck off and are willing to put up with it skipping to the next track on its own.

Correct, but it only has that functionality when a track ends. When you purposefully load a track, the continuous feature does not work. The new song stops the platter.

I have a feature request in for this.

Huh? What’s the point of a continuous mode if it’s not to automatically go to the next track when the current track ends? Are you saying when you manually load a new track, continuous resets to off? Maybe I’m misremembering, but I thought it continued to work, and by work I mean it would simply go to the next track wherever the browser was at in that moment, including if you just changed sources. I don’t recall it ever resetting on its own, but I don’t use it that often.

Edit:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/continuous-mode-also-applies-when-loading-a-track/39146

Oh, you don’t want to have to hit play when loading new tracks if continuous is on. Hmm, that sort of makes sense.

5/6000M

1. Play track - track is playing, platter is spinning

2. Now load another track on the same player without stopping the current playing track

3. The platter stops and new track is just on CUE.

4. you have to press play again

Unlike Serato DVS or controllers

1. if you load a track on a playing deck, it starts playing immediately

Yes, I see what DJDuctape means now, but that’s different than what the OP asked for. Continuous mode will sort of do what the OP wants, as will slicer mode’s quasi emergency loop, or actually setting a loop. OP didn’t say anything about loading tracks on-the-fly without having to hit play again, not that that’s not a valid request on its own. Having the Ms keep turning at zero remaining time would be more in keeping with his request, but InMusic has said they won’t allow it.

i dont think continuous mode will work for OP.

i think he wants what i described…

sample ends, but platter keeps spinning…so he can either decide to spinback the same sample and start cutting again or load a new sample and starts cutting without needing to push play.

@Marcellus_Wallace which is which?

1 Like

That’s true that if it’s gone into another sample using continuous, then you can’t spin back into the prior one since there is an endless silence spinning back before zero time elapsed but it does not work for zero time remaining. In that case slicer mode or a manual loop would have to suffice. If you don’t mind now getting to scratch another sample that’s in the list, then it will suffice. Wyley1’s mention of editing 8 samples together increasingly seems like the best idea, though, as the hot cues would be seen across samples.

1 Like

Same concept yo. Just like dvs, even tho shis isnt dvs. The platter always keeps spinning whether we load new tracks or back spin / rewind to previous parts of the current track.

@mufasa , you’re spot on - all I want is for the platter to keep spinning at the end of a waveform so that I can continue back-cueing / cutting / scratching with the same sample / waveform without having to hit the ‘back to start’ & ‘play’ buttons again - having to hit those buttons again, obviously completely kills the flow of the art of scratching & using the deck as an ‘instrument’ - like we’ve all been able to do with old-skool vinyl turntables - since the 1970’s!

I think that the 6000M player should do everything it can to emulate real vinyl turntables - that’s the point right? That’s why we paid a bunch more money for the spinning platters (compared to the non-Ms).

Honestly, how hard can it be to have the same firmware for all the players (Ms & non-Ms) that simply detects that it’s loaded on an M (versus a non-M) and, when it’s on an M, it just gives a switch in the settings menu to let the user decide whether or not to keep platter spinning at the end of the file. It’s like maybe 2 lines of code, and, by implementing in this simple way it would not ‘violate’ anything for InMusic, while greatly improving the ‘true vinyl’ experience (whereby turntables don’t stop spinning just because the audio sample has ended, as well as solving a bunch of other issues).

Anyway, looks like I’ll have to hit the audio editing software for a ridiculously long time to add a couple of seconds of silence to my ~700 samples (maybe I’ll write a macro or something to "auto-add’ silence at the end of my short sample files as a batch process. Not fun - talk about killing the flow!

P.S. Nothing should ‘load’ or ‘loop back’ or behave any differently - just simply keep the platter spinning at the end of the track so that we can enjoy creating with the Ms like we did on vinyl turntables.

P.P.S. Platter should stop spinning upon loading the next track (and keep spinning at end of track) - again emulating DJing with real vinyl turntables - the platter is virtually always kept spinning when the record ends, and you typically stop the platter spinning after you put the next record on the platter / at its beginning cue point.

Most if not all samples are made for drum machine type use with zero at the beginning of the waveform and cut at the end of the waveform. They are not dj ready though.

Unfortunately the suggestion of letting the platter keep spinning just for non dj ready samples will only lead it to becoming just a browse to test out a sample feature after all said and done.

This feature is good for tracks not for using samples. What’s more fun for scratching? Using one sample at a time then loading the next one or have eight samples laid out for your hotcues to bounce around with.

There’s a lot you can do with your custom made sample tracks. Like panning.

If he’s using drum machine samples and wants to create one giant mega-track of them, then he’d simply have to add a bunch silence between each when editing them together, right?

I don’t understand what you mean on the second part. If the platter keeps rotating at the end of whatever single sample track he has, whether they’re misc home made ones, dj-ready, or from a drum machine like you say, how would optionally staying in play mode (or some quasi play-mode-like state) at the end of the track even if it’s still staying at 00:00.0 time remaining turn it into some browsing or test of a sample feature? The requested option wouldn’t even need to be M-specific, as some people could find use for it on the non-Ms, too.

I’m just saying that all samples are made for one shots and are not dj ready. That’s why I suggested making tracks with 8 samples at a time on one track which most of us who use dj software do already.

The second part is just a comment for the wish for the platter to keep rotating after the track is done. For those who think it will be a performing enhancing thing to cue back with the platter for just one sample will eventually end up just using that method to preview their single samples.

Why would you need to edit them if the requested option was available?