Looks like Tidal pulled the plug 🔌 on Stems

Tidal will no longer allow their streaming tracks to be Stem’D by dj software. I wonder which streaming service will be next?

Yes, that’s old news - but it seems they’re now offering an offline storage mode…if you’re on the HiFi Plus tariff.

Hopefully now Denon can add said mode to the Prime players.

2 Likes

they have always had that on the mobile app.

but i have yet to see it in any dj app? does virtual dj do offline tidal?

1 Like

I think it does. It’s been added in their latest beta:

1 Like

Good old streaming services strike again…the perfect way to hand over responsibility for your music to someone who doesn’t care about music or DJ culture.

5 Likes

It looks like soon you won’t be able to change pitch/tempo on streaming tracks either.

3 Likes

Record labels staying true to form.

Having the music played the way the producer, artist, label intended would be the grounds to do this. I wonder how far it will go?

I’m glad I own my collection.

1 Like

All they will achieve is pushing people back to file sharing sites again. Im same as you, glad i buy the music and store it locally.

5 Likes

Well strictly speaking, you don’t. You just bought the rights to play the track(s) - that’s it. In most cases you don’t have the right to modify it, record it, broadcast it etc. etc.

1 Like

What I do in private with my physical cd and vinyl collection is nobody’s business. :man_detective:

4 Likes

How cool that you buy songs! I’ve stopped fattening the coffers from record labels to years! How is the purchase of music anyway? I don’t know what that is!

1 Like

Exactly! How I get my music and how I take care of it is my problem! Always the record companies wanting to own the artists’ songs!

Nowadays the artist makes more money from concerts than from the sale of his songs! The one who makes money selling the music is the record company!

3 Likes

You think purchasing tracks produced by small house music labels is ‘fattening the coffers of record labels’? It’s definitely an interesting way of looking of it.

I best tell my good friend to cancel his Rolls Royce purchase bought on the back of the 25p he gets for his Traxsource sales (this may be sarcasm).

3 Likes

One advantage to buying cds would be for the sound quality. You really don’t know what you’re getting when you download.

Small record labels, buddy! Independent labels, the ones that really give the artist a boost, not the ones that think they’re doing the artists a favor! Big labels keep knocking my sets down! My videos! It’s a discussion that’s already been debated, but I think it’s ridiculous! Easy for those who live in a place, 1 dollar is 1 dollar! Where I live 1 dollar is 5.20x the money! I’m never going to pay $2 for a track if I can play on the Internet in a Live! So yes! I don’t buy music and I’m not going to talk about it either! When I spoke, the hypocrisy here gave me the flag! Beautiful the speech of buying music :clap::clap::clap: with me doesn’t work!

I’d rather spend the dollars on vinyl records than a highly forgettable digital file! But that’s just my opinion! I’m not asking anyone to think it’s right or wrong, my critique is for big corporations selling music!

3 Likes

Stem separation by the player can never be a substitute for originally produced component stems, especially with electronic genres which employ very fast multi-band linear phase compressors to get the high LUFS required during the mastering process. It’s good and a novel toy, but just not the same.

1 Like

Yes I’m fully aware of that, but I was talking about offline storage.

1 Like

News just in. Tidal appear to be locking things down even further now, restricting access for DJs to the most expensive HiFi Plus tier.

It’s just been applied to Virtual DJ.

Currently still working OK in Rekordbox and Serato on the HiFi tier - and also (currently anyway) standalone direct access on Prime hardware.

2 Likes

Latest news: Algoriddim have added Apple Music (the streaming service) to their DJay Pro software…and you can’t use stems there either.

1 Like