Linking 2 SC6000s directly vs to a mixer mixer

I don’t see anything in the documentation that references this and am curious, are there any latency issues when connecting two SC6000’s directly vs to an 1850 mixer? When connected to the mixer and the mixer is connected to the local LAN, does the link signal go through the LAN or does it simply use the mixer as a hub, as if they were connected directly? A friend mentioned upgrading his LAN cables to address link latency issues with his 2000NX2’s and am wondering if that’s real issue or a bit of snake oil?

Its a simple ethernet connection. You can connect directly or through the mixers ethernet HUB.

Upgrading ethernet cables, well, for the distance used, it sounds like snake oil, but it doesn’t hurt either: the included cables are thin compared with some cat6 cable around there…

Also take into account that bypassing the mixer will loose all the benefits of the Engine Link: quantized and synced FX bpm, cue button color matching, on-air player indicator,…

Used the SC6000 with different methods. Directly with a link cable, a switch, a x1850 and countless different lenghts and style of Lan Cables. Even different lengths of Cables for the SC6000, due to the fact that i had not enough from one size and lost the orignal ones. There is no change in latency. Its always the same speed for me.

Upgraded a couple of days ago to thicker, same size cables just for the optics. Sill the same result. You can just use any cable.

We do this when we are using the Allen and Heath mixers. Just connect directly between the decks.

Sounds like snake oil to me. These signals travel at near the speed of light.

The Denon mixer has an integrated gigabit Ethernet switch.

What TYPE of latency is your friend trying to avoid? These link cables don’t carry audio…

You sure they dont carry audio? if you plug a USB into one then access that USB to play music on another deck, how is the audio getting from one deck to another?

No audio is going, it’s a data stream. Audio is generated by the sound card audio chip in each player.

Ahhh ok yeah didnt think of it like that, of course.

My God!! I’m having endless problems with Link on my Sc6000! I use a pair of sc6000 with x1800 mixer that has an RJ-45 cable on the router. It takes more than 5 minutes to access the other player! I changed the original cables for 2 CAT-8 and still nothing! I’ve restarted the player, the mixer, several times, I’ve tried to turn them on in different ways and still nothing! When will DENON fix this?? This has been going on for a long time! It is not possible that reading the library in another player at this point is so slow for a device of this size!! I get embarrassed in front of a pioneer cdj 900, accessing the library on an external hd in another player almost instantly!! Let’s do something about this DENON people, ENGINE??? What does it take to see this? I even start posting the videos on my youtube channel?? And burn myself that I defend the device so much??

1 Like

Could this be related to this? Slow internal SSD SC6000M

It is a known problem that indeed accessing a larger storage medium over the network is slow, especially the first search after switching source. I am experiencing wait times of around 30 seconds, but @mufasa experiences 5 minutes or so. Very frustrating indeed, and we all hope Denon fixes this sooner than later.

1 Like

It sure is …

Following factory reset I’m now down to 1 mins load of the first playlist selected on the linked player.

Works the same with smart playlist as well.

Improvement from my 5 - 10 minutes.

Would still prefer instant load

Another thing that I noticed is that even if I give the players time after turning on the 1 mins delay is still there until I choose a playlist.

I wonder why the linked player does not load the collection and playlists in the background.

If that worked at least I can factor that into my workflow.

Compared to how Serato does it, when I start Serato DJ, like 1 minutes later I see a notification that my library has fully loaded. You can start DJing before this banner shows.

I think Rekordbox DJ completes library load at start before allowing one to DJ.

To summarize-

Engine OS is waiting till I send a playlist/search retrieve request before running the query and not automatically doing this as a background process irrespective if I search or select a playlist

Hopefully they can find a solution.

My experience too.

As does Traktor. But Traktor doesnt let you switch sources during your set, and neither does Rekordbox. Or, that is to say, I think rekordbox and Serato can have extra databases on external drives, dont they? If they are all kept in memory, this could be a strategy too…

If you plug in a new database midset on Serato it, loads it immediately and completes a database check in the background- alerts you after it’s completed approx 30 secs.

Both collections files are mixed together, no separation.

It’s useful for scenarios whereby guest dj can show up and plug there external drive into the residents laptop.

They can also eject when done as long there is no track from the drive loaded.