Laidback Luke talks about his decision to end cooperation with Denon DJ

No bashing, just his reason why things ended and he moved on.

He’s a straight up guy so wouldn’t expect anything else… nice to see all the usual type of trolls in the comments though.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear Luke say he asked Denon for stems back then.

Well I guess Denon are finally getting there with stems, after three years - and they’re innovative by doing it standalone.

2 Likes

The response to me asking why someone seemed so angry about his choice… there you have it ladies and gents, fanboyism at its finest.

"no not at all. I don’t like Luke his music and the genre he plays yet I actually respect Luke for staying down to earth and doing videos aimed at newbies in the DJ world.

Yet I would advice him to stay true to himself… He said Denon didn’t pay him to play with their gear yet a few minutes later in the video he said he switched over to reloop once the contract with Denon was over as it wasn’t allowed in that contract so in the end Denon paid him to play exclusively with their gear.

Everybody makes mistakes yet it was just best to admit he was being paid to play exclusively on their gear instead of lying about it and debunking it himself in the same video with that slip that he switched to reloop once the contract with Denon was over.

I still respect Luke yet he should just switch back to Pioneer CDJ multiplayers and Pioneers new flagship A9 mixer and leave all this amateur stuff behind just to make a few extra bucks on sponsorships.

Thrust me, I’m currently planning my premiere show in Los Angeles and I’m designing the light show myself for the livestream to premiere my DJ set. I will make it into the scene and one day I will meet Luke and I will still speak to him and show him my respect as he is great human being and a good ambassador for the DJ world.

Nothing wrong with earning a little bit of extra bucks, it’s not a crime yet I would never switch to that amateur stuff as a professional DJ and thats just my opinion about it."

1 Like

The innovation is now you can do things simply by digging into your pocket for your iPhone.

I’ve been using djay for a longtime for fun. I even have a loyalty version of the app which obviously it has little less features but better than free version. I wish that Denon could have a better relationship with Algoriddim too and I think most of us will agree on this.

The phones and tablets are the future. For example, It’s nice to have the rekordbox app on my iPhone to prep and then just plug it into a cdj to play or hook it up to class compliant mixer and use the djay app which supports most of the top tier equipment btw.

It’s good Denon is getting into stems, adding touch fx to the screens (which I advocated for in 2018) and the sampler. I’m happy to see their addition and play around with them.

Using my iPhone and iPad is now my lifestyle and I can’t go back to conventional computers and laptops anymore cause they’re just to slow and not mobile enough when it comes to recording my ideas.

I wish LBL all the best.

3 Likes

Same, im looking at using it on my iPad in the near future. More people should be taking notice of Luke’s setup, not slating it.

Things that stood out to me:

1. Denon struggling with having enough equipment for promoters.
  2. Denon not capable of incorporating the Djay UI into Prime players.

#1 is unsurprising, but also perhaps a big reason why Denon has struggled to change people’s riders.

#2 is a bit puzzling to me since Denon does do Serato/VDJ integrations. Even Pioneer has figured out how to get waveforms etc from Djay onto their CDJs, so it’s not like it’s a Djay limitation.

2 Likes

You can see my my different djay setups here with some troubleshooting tips for iOS also.

1 Like

TLDR; “I fell in love with STEMS and needed it to be portable and available to me today. So I went with a product and company that was market ready.”

I get it and that’s cool, I’ve never faulted him for this personal choices. Obviously the Denon roadmap wasn’t something he was willing to wait for. Whelp I’m sure the next 3-6mo we’ll see the roadmap, possibly hardware upgrades (IMHO minor cosmetic stuff more DSP under the hood. I’m here for the long haul.

1 Like

That’s easy. Shallow pro audio coding/programmer pool, it’s not just an issue for Denon or DJ manufacturers.

All I know is the Prime 2 is by far the most powerful and useful device ive ever owned for Dj gigs, and that also includes a CDJ 2000 and DJM-900 nexus setup that was in place at the residency I held for yrs… would I use it as my home setup, absolutely not… but would I change it for anything else on the market right now for my gigs, 100% no.

I’ve had a lot of respect for this guy and I wish I was part of his video production team. Whomever edited this one included two audio tracks that are a few ms off phase, causing him to sound a bit like a chipmunk in this one :(.

Thank you @VesNL for posting this one!

I’ll also add that this video keeps referring to the “1st Pioneer CDJs” as the “CD-1000 MK1”.

This was the 1st: the CDJ-500 :sob:. The CDJ-1000 Were the first to emulate vinyl for scratching, but they were not the 1st CDJs. :rofl:

I’ll take my nerd hat off now.

4 Likes

I’ve played a gig on one of them before, horrific

1 Like

Contracts can contain lots of musts and mustn’ts , lots of dos and donts , or they can contain very few. We’ll never know.

We do know, coz the link is above, that he appears to bare no malice toward anyone or any company or product. To me, that speaks volumes about the guy. Very positive.

I can’t follow him on his route from professional gear down onto phones and tablets but that’s as much personal preference as any of us have got.

I wonder if the “Hall Reverb” or whatever the effect on the X18xx mixers, which had one of the two “L”s mirrored as in Laidback Luke’s opposing thumbs handshake/logo, was called, after being added apparently at Laidback Luke’s request, will be subtly renamed to show both “L”s facing forward now. Not due to any negative reason but maybe LL’s new lead-holders won’t want his logo still appearing on other brands gear - or maybe once it’s done, it’s done.

1 Like

Ever used the CDJ-500? It was maddening how much it failed to read CD’s, the MK2 was better but just less maddening.

1 Like

yes, and it was before CDRs became affordable too :sob:

Same.

His alignment towards using whats best for his performance (and preference) resonates a ton with me. I’ve only owned a single CDJ800 as i didn’t care much for their workflows and have always gone against the grain, rebuking the whole “go with CDJ because it’s the club standard” line of horse manure.

What did NOT resonate is how the video is structured around “the hook, loads of filler content, teasing the hook, more filler, then finally there reason why.”.

Another thing that ticked me off a bit is if he was secure in his value, he wouldn’t have to remind the viewer that his brand has value. Just my perspective.

I tried using djay for a while and it was just a bad idea and a waste of time, I’m not a fan of “fake” stems and I won’t be using this feature in the future. the main problem with such applications on phones, iPads, etc. lack of control over updates… if you install an update on your device and something happens, you have no way back. something is broken - wait a few weeks until the developers fix it. and this is just what immediately comes to mind.

1 Like

jaysus…that feels petty, but you can start a feature request.

1 Like