Is the SC5000 going to be getting stems?

Is the SC5000 going to be getting stems ? wishing to know if they will be implementing stems, If not i am going to need to sell up! I kind of feel let down at present becuase denon have deciding to either make us wait or lose out, when we were the first to jump on board with denon and Prime flagship setup. sorry if this has been asked before, or maybe you have a direction to any current posts about, much appreciated thank you for your time.

No one can give you an answer to this. We are all waiting for a stems update.

If you can’t wait, get yourself the Prime 4+ and enjoy :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Given the number of completely free firmware updates that Sc5000 owners have had since your purchase, it’s almost an SC9000 by now - so absolutely zero reason to come up with “let down”

It’s not like back in 2019 the SC5000 adverts said “Will do stems before any all in one console will … free… within 4 years”

What’s been “said” but left a little unconfirmed, is that the Prime4 plus will get various BETA firmwares with stems handling, and all the necessary advice about “don’t use beta firmware in public”

My opinion is that the Prime4 Plus was chosen as beta stems test guinea pig so that new buyers (and Google) would associate that model with stems

The little unconfirmed info is that it’s rumoured that all or most of the other primes will get stems … after the beta testing has been well and truely concluded.

There’s been no rumours, and certainly no official word to suggest that the SC5000 or any other prime for that matter will permanently miss out on free stems firmware.

1 Like

Ill just add, if you really want to use Stems, no other company are offering it on standalone hardware so your only option is software. When looking at software, the only 2 real options are VDJ and Serato, your current equipment works with both of those as midi controllers so why not just save yourself a fortune by buying one of the software then use your Denon gear to control it?

4 Likes

I need to concur with @Pasha and @STU-C here.

I would also like to add, anyone who buys into ‘any’ type of Tech these days needs to be open minded to the fact that at some stage the hardware that you own will be outdated and you will not get new features.

If i still had my 5000M decks i would be over the moon to still be receiving updates after what, 4, 5 years?

If the developers manage to bring this to the older Prime units then it will be pretty amazing, and whilst yes i would love to see this happen, this does not bring investment in new technology to Denon/Inmusic.

2 Likes

I know, right? some phones and most cars don’t even get updates that long.

the SC5000 came out in January 2017, that a product even gets full support up to this point is almost an anomaly in the current world. As it seems the prime 4+ has some differences under the hood that it makes it easier to implement stems. Since the sc5000/6000,prime go … all use the same parts there could be either an update for all of them or none. But there is no promise, prime 4+ is your best option right now

2 Likes

It’s not quite that easy or cheap. Say for instance you have some sc6000’s connected to an x1850. SC’s work fine, but if you choose to use the x1850, not only will you have to either rent (subscribe)or buy Serato, but you have to get the DVS expansion on top of that. Yes, the 6000’s will work with Serato on their own, but unless you have a hardware unlocked mixer, a subscription, or outright own it, your mixer won’t. Then you’ll also have to have a DVS license. This is true in a ton of situations. Almost as evil as Pioneer.

I’m not here to defend the pricing structure of software, just to tell you that it’s best path for that feature.

If you’re serious about it however, perhaps investing in the full Serato suite is worthwhile, even if it is expensive. Algoriddim is another option of course, I just subscribed to the pro version for £26 for the year.

1 Like

Whatever the case, there’s no need to dream. Even if stems were to arrive on Denon’s current range of stand-alone equipment, whether SC5000/6000 players or standalones, barring a miracle or magic, you’d never get playback quality comparable to Serato or Virtual DJ stems 2.0.

This is because the on-board hardware in Denon equipment (which is a 2017 midrange mobile APU) does not have the necessary power to calculate algorithms as complex as the latest Virtual DJ or Serato algorithms. At best you’ll get a rendering with lots of audio artefacts comparable to Virtual DJ’s 1.0 algorithm, which is comparable to the current rendering of stems on prime 4+.

So if it’s just a question of having the stems function to say that it exists, there’s not much point if it can’t really be used in a qualitative way.

In my opinion, we’ll have to wait for the next generation of hardware with much more powerful on-board hardware (with the computing power of a GPU equivalent to at least a GTX 1070, i.e. at least 6 TFlops) to have stems rendering comparable to that of serato or Virtual DJ stems 2.0.

So for the time being Stu-c is right, considering software is your best option if you want a minimum quality result.

1 Like

Most processors can do stems in good quality just so you guys know. Algoriddim can run with stems on an old ipad with an equivalent processor to what’s in the Denon decks.

The issue is the rendering time. Will it be acceptable?

1 Like

But yet we have had so many other features that no one would have thought possible.

Don’t underestimate the power of the dark side, er, sorry, I meant the development team :grimacing:

I think precomputed stems on EDJ desktop would be an option, too. Especially combined with remote library.

1 Like

I think that would be a great option especially in terms of preparedness for people curating sets before they do live gigs.

2 Likes

…or use VirtualDJ instead, which has DVS included, and isn’t “locked” in any way.

Yes but algoriddim quality are so far from virtual dj stems 2.0 or serato quality. Maybe you think is pretty good for you, but for me to many background artefacts, the algoriddim stems separation isn’t good enough for professionnal exploitation

Then why are professionals using it anyway?

If inmusic believe that they can do good with 2 part stems on their products then they’ll do it.

Every player getting into the stems game started out at the bottom. You can look at the state of stems in rekordbox now for example.

Check this Video

If you can’t hear the between Virtual DJ / serato and Algoridim Djay stems quality, especially on acapella i can’t do anything for you, Acapella stem extraction is clear on Virtual DJ and serato almost like studio acapella. Acapella stems extraction on djay is verry poor like rekordbox, lots of artefacts, muddy sound and sound traces from other stems.

This is the difference for example on Virtual DJ between the fast algorithm (stems 1.0) which can run on old processors and stems 2.0 which requires the computing power of a minimum gtx 1070 type GPU.

So yes a fast algorithm is possible on denon hardware but not an algorithm like that of stems 2.0

I don’t see much pros complaining about Algoriddim stems. It seems like only the armatures do though :thinking:

If inmusic can get it to the level of what Algoriddim has for 2 part stems then most will be happy and what’s wrong with that.

But we’ll have to wait and see.

I guess the real question is, are any pros using them in the first place?

I’ve just paid for the pro version and have been messing around with DVS at home, the Stems are pretty poor on it. And whilst I generally hate bashing gear or software, it is noticable here.