Gain Knobs

Hi Guys,

Anyone else feels the Gain Knobs are too loose and too sensitive? Not sure if this is a defect on my mixer only or it’s a design thing.

it’s causing so much hassle for my mixing style (Blending)

Do you mean the EQ knobs? Channel gain or level really shouldn’t be used when mixing/blending other than to adjust a track that’s much quieter or louder than the other tracks you’re currently playing.

But in general I would say all of the knobs and faders on the X18XX mixers are lighter feeling than a lot of other club mixers, I’m personally not a fan of the super light faders for example, but the knobs don’t bother me too much. You can also adjust the cutoffs on the EQs to see if that helps with them being “too sensitive” for your liking?

Yes I had the same issue… Long story but I had 4 of these mixers… Spoke to in music about it and apparently that’s just the way they are even though 1 of my 4 had perfect feeling gain rotaries… I think that one was the odd one out

Booth monitor, FX and a few other knobs also the same

Gain knobs on my Prime GO feel way too loose for my liking too.

They weren’t like it on the Prime 2 I had.

On the EQ they are fine, it’s the gain… while I don’t use them to mix/blend, sometimes they need slight adjustment while mixing and blending (presuming you hit the max on the channel and still need some juice)

I tried the Prime 2 yesterday at a store and they were perfectly stiff.

Over all the X1850 knobs have fair resistance except the Gain… terrible

Indeed. I’ve added some Blue Tack inside the Knobs and it did the job, I also feel the gain decrease / increase is way too quick no matter how careful you are… best to get it as close as possible during cueing… and non existent issue with other brand. So shame for an almost ultra perfect mixer.

OK, got it. Just double checked my 1800 and the gain knobs are certainly looser than the EQs, I wonder why they didn’t just use the same pots as the EQs since gain has a 0 position too.

Go figure!!! :man_shrugging:t2:

Massive (unnecessary) flow…

They are the same (type of) pots, just the caps are different. I think the problem is mounting of the potentiometers to the faceplate and the faceplate to the mixer chasis.

I had personal experience where a denon mixer came from service with all stiff posts, returned it again, came back ok-ish but still not the same.

Ultimately, seems to be QC issue.

But the EQ pots have the 12 o’clock notch and the gain do not, that’s what I was referring to. I assume that notch is partially why the EQ knobs are stiffer but I could be wrong.

1 Like

There is a few other people with similar experiences…

I think it’s just some rotary potentiometers that are failing on their dampening. The resistance gives up too early when turning and become loose.

I honestly feel no resistance on my Gain knobs at all. I had to add a tiny amount if bluetag inside the knob. This has helped improve it at around 70%, not bad at all… but shame I had to be doing this to increase the resistance

I bought a used Prime Go a few months back and I took it back as the gain pits was so loose you could blow it to turn it. I bought. A new one which was okay.

I’d love to see a change in supplier of rotary pots.

When you say Blue Tag… So you mean Blu Tak?

I can’t find Blue Tag here in the UK.

Corrected… spot on. In fact it’s blue tack (not tag nor tak) :wink:

Thanks

Ok cool.

So, could you please tell me what you did to stiffen up the Gain pots?

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Simple… pulled the knob… added a little of blue tack around the potentiometer, re-placed the knob… :wink: It’s now perfectly tight with ZERO impact or damaged and can be cleaned or removed anytime.

Enjoy