Fadertype of channel faders? Crossfader blind panel option?

Slightly mentioned in another topic, but asking an answer from Denon support.

I have two questions.

Will there be a blind panel option for the crossfader? Don’t need it, frankly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are the faders on the X1800 the same as on the X1700? Or perhaps vertical knobs to fit and replace the standard horizontal ones?

As far as I can tell the X1700 uses Alps RS60K11K-04-B103. Those could be replaced with something like Alps RS60K11K9A13: http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Potentiometer/SlidePotentiometers/RSK/RSK_list.html2

Would be nice to do this on the X1800.

Background info: In Holland, all older mixers have vertical fader knobs. Dateq was a well known manufacturer of some classic mixers and I would like to see nicer faders on the X1800. Still very fond of my XTC2 for simple mixing with the SC5000.

Unfortunately the link is not working, so can’t look at it.

Being from Holland myself, I am wondering what exactly you mean with vertical fader knobs as opposed to horizontal. Can you post a pic of one or the other or even both?

Just remove the “2” at the end of the link. He means studio type faders. I have no idea why would somebody remove standard faders on a brand new mixer just to have a different fader cap. Old ones, ok, if it’s plug n play no problem (rotary kits I can also understand) but brand new…

Just Google the old Dateq mixers. And yes, like studio faders and found on all broadcast mixers.

Like so:

There are no plans for a blanking panel for the crossfader. In relation to the channel faders, aka Upfaders, we can’t condone or provide information enabling the voiding of the warranty, which as the mixer has only been out a few weeks, would certainly still be in effect.

With regards to an alternative fader, we have previously offered rotary kits to replace linear faders on two previous mixers and the uptake was considerably less than expected.

Instead, the fader signal level expontentation of rotary controls is now achieved by the DJs use of the channel fader curve control, which can apply different signal lift/cut characteristics.

1 Like

Never asked for a rotary version…

And wow, my post about getting an answer instead of getting a stupid comment as to “why would you want that?” Is inappropriate…

Within one week I’ll be owning a €5400 prime setup at home. Great support everyone!!

Hey Reese Please allow me to share my experience regarding the faders between the 1700 and the 1800. I own the 1700 and a pair of SC5K’s. I have spent some time with the 1800 and I have established that the faders used on the 1800 is not the same Alps K- series faders that you and I love. I must admit, I am dissapointed as I think the Alps faders would have complemented the Prime mixer very very nicely.

1 Like

Now that’s an answer!

Shame then. With my D&R Airmate it’s the same thing and those can’t be replaced because they’re build on a baseplate. The advantage is that the mixer is low in height, but the feel is crappy.

We’ll see how it turns out. Channel faders of the X1800 feel okay, but never liked the American style horizontal caps. Hopefully someone at Denon support can supply us with type or article number of the channel faders.

As for a blind panel for the crossfader; I know a few people who can make a laser cut piece of metal. Only need to coat it then with a matching color…

The Prime gear is top notch, but can be sweet if customized a bit.

Got it, yep.

Good ole Dateq. Indestructible. We had ours (an LPM, think 7.4) for 20 years or so. In the end half of the meters dropped, two channels totally stopped working so we had to get rid of it. But it served it’s purpose and then some.

Those knobs ARE indeed pleasant. (Also) being a sound engineer, I am pretty used to those too. Never really gave it a second thought while DJ-ing though. Probably because my first “proper” DJ mixer (i.e. something with actual faders and cue functionality) had “horizontal” knobs:

No channel EQ, but not the 2x10-band graphic master EQ LOL.

BTW, this was late 70’s or so.

1 Like

I did not knew if you wanted to improve the fader feel or simple change the fader cap. You can do a lot of things with 3D printing instead of replacing the entire fader, that was my point, no need to get your panties in a twist as they say, so chill. This is a forum, a place of discussion. If you wanted a direct information from Denon without input from other member there’s a contact form on the DenonDJ webpage.

As a general rule of thumb, if a manufacturer hasn’t stated in the tehnical specifications, it’s not something “above standard”. Yes, the older X1700 had those super smooth Alps K-type faders that where a joy to work with (and boasted premium phono preamps and headphone amp). But to be clear, with digital mixers like the X1700 and X1800, the type of fader has ZERO effect on the sound quality because the signal doesn’t go through the fader itself.

@Gee_DenonDJ True but those were rack mixers at the end of a era where they were popular, if you release a rotary kit/model for a club mixer now it would have a significantly better uptake. That is, if it wouldn’t be a competition to Rane models…

My first mixer probably was an Alecto or Phonic. After those came only the Dutch “rivals” Dateq and D&R.

Vertical fader knobs where always better for blending your mixes. Horizontal where for fast cutting and scratching.

That’s why the Xone 62 and Playdifferently Model1 have the vertical ones.

I think there is no vertical knob that fits the horizontal knob faders. So therefor I’m thinking about replacing the whole fader as an “extreme measure”.

But like I said, we’ll see how it feels when it arrives in a few weeks.

Several things suggest that the word “would” above, is more of a “probably wouldn’t” - Ok - there could be a difference between what a few hundred people “say” they’ll like to have, and what they’d ultimately buy etc. However, as above, the more mixers which have linear faders and then have curve/contour control over the way the fader movements/distances relate to the signal level rising/falling, then many DJs are getting the feel of a rotary control.

There’s also the vinyl-esque element of rotaries… e.g.: Theres a lot of new blood DJs who have never ever touched vinyl/rotary channel faders, and will simply use todays features.

From that point of view, we’ll leave the rotary channel faders to Rane… although, having said that, the new Rate 72 isn’t rotary - and indeed it’s most interesting controls are neither Rotary or Linear…

But… apparently the thread here wasn’t hinting at rotaries when saying that the current linears were being considered for swapping, so maybe there could be a separate poll/thread for rotaries.

1 Like

Okay no problems.

Yes I know it has nothing to do with sound; hence the VCA structure of the mixer. But I like the solidness and stiffness of a fader to feel the quality. Pioneer DJM and many other brands are known to have faders that last not very long.

The X1800 has many advantages than my current analog Dateq XTC2 mixer. I can hookup both analog and digital all at once, so even my RME Fireface UC can connect next to the SC’s. It’s a no brainer really. It even has more advantages than a DB4, Xone92 or Model1.

But still no awnser what kind of channelfaders are used in X1800? As in brand/model/type ?? Soldered/ screwed?
Carbon/magnetic/capacitance/optical/plastic? Replacable (perhaps in future) for a more heavy and/or durable one?

1 Like

So the x1700 has replaceable ALPS Faders on all 4 channels ? And the x1800 has soldered faders to the board, holy crap no wonder why the resale value for a used x1700 is so high.

Ooof I was a forum rookie 5 years back @SlayForMoney :wink:

Faders are still soldered on the PCB. Both X1800 and X1850. They feel okay, but not as a K-ALPS of course.

I did get some AliExpress “studio type” fader caps as I couldn’t change the fader. :sunglasses:

@Reese do we get a cake for a 5 year forum anniversary membership? :partying_face:

It might surprise you that in 2017, resale value of X1600 and X1700 was really crap and sale posts would be up for months. A lot of users were getting rid of them because Apple broke the core audio support in El Capitan and Denon brand got sold to the devi…I mean inMusic, so no new firmware was released to fix it.

I believe X1600 sold for about 650$, X1700 for 800-1000.

1 Like

LOL. Don’t know really. Your 6th is already in February!

X1700 is still the best mixer Denon ever made. I still love mine even though I can no longer use the sound card in it. Sounds great, butter smooth knobs and faders.

2 Likes