Engine Prime Courrpt Data Base *Very Fed UP*

Hi mufasa.

My Samsung SSD has experienced several corrupt databases in the past, most of these stemming from EP 1.3.4 where it would crash during use.

Although 1.5 is definitely more stable than past releases i still do not trust the database management aspect as it does not backup the entire file structure, rather i still perform manual backups.

So I had My sd card go corrupt on me when opening engine prime and was not trying to reformat my drive (were talking about 100s of gbs of music). So I tried something and it seemed to fix it and is running fine on my end.

Im using osx mojave and just went to disk utility and ran the first aid option. After that everything seems normal. Prime engine recognizes my sd like normal and nothing seems to be lost. My prime 2 is reading my sd like normal. Hopefully this works for yall.

For windows users, maybe theres something similar to the first aid option that you can use and maybe that can work.

the latest issue Iā€™m having is EPā€™s issue with reading the folder structure of my drives. Iā€™ll open a folder on EP and it will list some (not all) of the tracks in the folder. Iā€™ll try and add a song to the collection, then Iā€™ll try and that song to my external HD connected to my pc. 2 things happen:

1. the track never makes it to my external HD
  2. when i go back to the folder in EP it now says there are 0 tracks in the folder and no matter what I do will no longer read that folder as having any music in it.

By ā€œfolderā€ do you mean the ā€œcratesā€ created within the EP collection?

Since I use EP 1.5 I have seen that the best method that gives less problems is the following:

• Check the MP3 tags with MP3tag, correct them if necessary, rename the file ā€œtrack - artistā€ (eliminating any strange characters).
  • Create the ā€œcrateā€ in the internal PC collection.
  • Drag the tracks inside the crate directly from the Windows Explorer or using the navigation inside the EP.
  • Analyze the new tracks in the new crate, check the grid and the calculation of the BPM, insert Hot cue where necessary.
  • When the tracks are ready, only then do I connect my USB stick to transfer the new tracks.
  • First of all I update the DB of the collection starting from the one on the USB stick: I use ā€œSync Managerā€ and I press the button at the bottom right (direction from DEVICES to COLLECTION) if it is lit green.
  • At the end of the operation, I update the devices with the new tracks and the new crate: I always use Sync Manager, I insert the check mark on the new crate on the left side, then I press the button at the bottom left (direction from Collection to devices).
  • At this point the collection and the device are synchronized. I press the eject button of the device and then insert it into Prime4.

EDIT: this operation occurs when I add new tracks to the collection, not yet present on the devices; otherwise it is necessary to update the collection BEFORE making changes to the tracks.

No, by folder I mean the folders containing my original music that has yet to be added to EP. Engine Prime is not reading my Exfat MBR drive structure correctly. The Prime 4 does but that isnt helpful because the bpms on my tracks are being read incorrectly at a rate of 1 in every 3-4 songs.

I cant even get to the point of trying to implement your described process because EP cannot read my drives correctly.

I am not sure if this is a coincidence I was using my Prime 4 with no problems 3 times a week since i bought it way back 2019. I was playing tracks that were just copied over from my old hard drive raw with no sort of analyzing etc .Then I decided to re scan all the files with mixed in key soon as I did I got the hard drive is corrupt error.I wiped the hard drive and re added the files and now the hard drive is not reporting any problems.

I think other software mucking around with the files that Engine Prime is happy with could certainly be the issue

No Doubt it Mixed in Key that was the problem.Just pointing it out in case anybody else had a similar problem.

Thatā€™s the odd thing though - why should using MIK corrupt the database? MIK writes to the file tags (if you let it) not the Denon database.

The database seems overly sensitive to the tiniest thing.

I found it annoying that, rather than just run through my files and create a database, EP insists on creating its own file structure, with separate folders for every artist, even for the slightest change (artist featuring X, artist featuring Y) - then making even more folders below that for albums, even if there is no album.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear of the trouble!

If youā€™re still experiencing database corruption, please visit the link below and provide the requested information.

Doing so will help us better understand what may be causing this for some users and quickly find a solution.

We greatly appreciate your help!

Just my $.02, but I was having these issues in the beginning (2017), and with external drives that spin and/or require a little more juice for sure (even SSDā€™s). I havenā€™t had these problems since switching exclusively to SD cards and USB thumb drives. High quality, high speedā€¦for both playback and recording (Prime 4).

Is there anyone concerned about corrupt databases who doesnā€™t carry a backup?

If yes, then one of those halves of the equation needs to change

Engine Prime has now a backup button in utility. Maybe that can help?

Nothing is

Absolutely nothing is

Nothing at all

The less external influence, the better everything gets though

Considering that a device with just music files on can be connected to the hardware and used, it should at least be possible to bypass a corrupted database, rather than have the corruption prevent the unit being used.

Yeah . Great way of populating a second drive etc

There needs to be a redundant backup system that works in the background so that end users have no interruption in their chosen workflow, the backup option in the current release let me down within the first few days which i did post about on the forum, so i still do automated backups for that just in case moment.

If a users has a massive catalogue and subsequent database to boot, it is not great if they have to revert back to [hopefully] an older version just to get back up and running.

Thatā€™s life for you . Itā€™s not perfect

Any make of hard drive can fail and SSDs are far from fail-free too.

@Antchi hence why i said there needs to be ā€˜redundancyā€™ :+1:

1 Like