Engine OS 4: A Fab Update but Still No Beat Jump for Mixstream Pro Go

… Which saddens me. A solid update for sure, and always happy with the speed and progress of these updates, but was a bit deflated to discover that there is still no beat jump facility for my Mixstream Pro Go. That’s all I want! Just a rudimentary parameters option in settings would be fine so I can use the pitch bend buttons to action (I only use them for changing pitch ranges once in a blue moon - never to bend).

Even Phil Morse of Digital DJ Tips agreed in a comment I made on their Engine OS 4 YouTube video they posted earlier today, stating that they, ‘Don’t see why they can’t add this for all units, could be easy enough to do onscreen.’

Does anyone know if beat jump will ever be on the cards for the Mixstream? Really hate to moan, as I love Engine OS, but for me, this is the last thing missing to make the system perfect.

3 Likes

Tl:dr “I want this, I want that, I wasn’t willing to pay more than for the entry-level Engine OS product but expect it to have every feature of the higher-tier products, so I created this extra rant-thread, to mourn about that one specific feature which I need personally”

This is indeed unecessary moaning, sorry.

1 Like

Not really. I have beat jump on every other controller I own/owned - most of them beginner controllers - FLX4/FLX6, VCI 300, VCI 380, Mixtrack Platinum FX , Reelop Ready. I could even set it up on the DDJ 200/Hercules Starlight.

I only asked for one basic feature that I’ve had on every other controller.

It’s not like I was asking for stems.

2 Likes

Your Numark Mixstream isn’t a controller though is it, you’ve just compared it to a bunch of dumb midi boxes that do nothing more than send commands to a computer software.

1 Like

Ah, yes. You are quite right, and fair comment, Stu-C. I think that’s what’s probably tripped me up to be honest. The beat jump function is so ubiquitous within the DJ controller sphere (for both hardware and software alike), it just baffled me that it wasn’t on the Mixstream. Just seemed like such a basic but handy feature. I know this unit has the pro moniker, but it isn’t really (unlike the Prime Go, which I’d say is), and I’m fine with that.

And the team behind Engine OS adds more and more value to the engine with each update, I can’t really complain, and I now realise, my opening post leaned to heavily in that direction. Apologies all. It was a moment of weakness I guess! Also, I have a tendency to do my best proof reading after I’ve hit the send button.

I’m interested though - do people use the beat jump feature often or at all? I find I use it all the time when I stream uncue-pointed house tunes to skip sections of the current track and for lining up the best place to mix in on the next. I’m begining to wonder if DJ controllers have just made me super lazy!

I’m curious - if you’ve used so many controllers with beat jump, and you’ve come to rely on it so heavily…why did you buy a unit that clearly doesn’t have beat jump buttons?

As many people have said in the past, both here and elsewhere, one should buy a unit based on what it can do at the time, not what one hopes it might do in the future.

The other thing to consider is how easy it is to remap buttons on those controllers, the laptop software is the power behind it and you can pretty much map anything you like at a touch of a button or two.

As far as beat jump goes, ive been using it loads more lately to preview tracks, or jump to set the gain at the higher volume points… the first reason is a complete nonsense though as I never use the library preview and really need to start adding it to my workflow, probably just me coming from CDJs and Serato for years where its not possible.

Edit: there used to be a way of speeding up the skip through a track on CDJs, holding a button then spinning the platter, ive never bothered checking but can it be done on our devices? that could be an alternative.

I never use the parameter buttons myself, so adding beat jump to them on a Numark is definitely feasible from my workflow POV.

1 Like

A very good question! Although the answer probably isn’t. The short answer is: curiosity. :smile:

Basically, I wanted to try allll the DJ software’s (Rekordbox, Serato, Virtual DJ, Traktor, DJay Pro, and, of course, Engine OS) and wanted a controller that worked with each, so I waited until I found second hand bargains on controllers for each one - DDJ-800, VCI 300, Kontol Z1 + Kontrol X1 Mk2, Reloop Ready, and the original Mixstream Pro.

Got most of these from Cash Converters online, and oh boy do you roll the dice with those guys (I’ve had to send so many back, one of which was a DDJ-1000 that has so many faults!).

I think I got the first Mixstream for about £360 which I thought was a bargain at the time, and to be honest - and here is the crux of the situation - I thought it did have beat jump on it. Not sure why! So my bad there. And when I discovered it didn’t, I was a bit disappointed, but I’d heard that the software was always getting fantastic updates (which it does), so I just though that it was an oversight on their part, and that they’d patch it in later down the line. I eventually only got rid of it (for £400) to get the Go, which was selling for £460. I didn’t think having a battery would make too much difference, it totally has!

You are, of course, right though, re. getting a unit for what it can do at the time. Most DJ controllers are set in stone expect for the odd firmware update here and there. But Engine OS… Feels like it will update and add functionality for a long time yet!

Yeah, it is very easy re remap using DJ software, although I wanted to remap the EQs in Serato the other day so my Ready, which only has a high and low EQ, can control both the high/medium EQs at the same time - something that Virtual DJ settings do straight out the box. But alas, no dice! I even bought Serato Play thinking that would help, but the virtual EQs disappear the moment you connect a controller. Sorry - ragging on Serato now!

There is a way to speed through a track on the Mixstream! Hold down shift and spin the platter. That is what I have been using, but then have to use maths to figure out the mixing in points before drops/phrase changes. :joy:

1 Like

My ‘maths’ for mixing (at least with house) is wait til around 1:30 then drop the incoming track on the next phrase lol… its obviously open to interpretation for some tracks with late breakdowns etc but as a general rule it works, then shorter tracks between 50 and 30 seconds from the end.

1 Like

Ah, that’s an interesting technique! I’m definitely going to try that and see how it pans out! I have a habit at staring at the waveforms and trying to figure out on the fly where to mix out which means I usually do so close to then end. I don’t mind playing long on house tracks as I’m generally playing for myself, but I should try toying with shorter mixes I think.

Yeah so when im at a gig and the 7 min house track might end up boring people ill use that short drum break thats normally about halfway through to mix out of, with the low pass filter to get rid of any sort of melody etc if there is any.

The old masters at Work cuts used to have like a dedicated mix out part in them for quicker mixing, was quality.

A method Ive always used for phrase counting/beat counting is to do it every single time you hear music, so it becomes ingrained, in the car, at work etc etc… ive found that I can pretty much subconsciously drop it in the right spot now even if im not fully concentrating. But as ive got older ive stopped worrying about it as much now as loops can get you out of jail for any missed mix points.

Anyway thats a bit OT, I agree with you about the option to remap unused buttons to the beat jump. Im sure there is a request somewhere for it.

1 Like

The old masters at Work cuts sound awesome! Might try and track some of those down!

I, too, find myself counting bars/phrases when I’m listening to music on my way to work. I did so purposefully at first to get a feel for the structures, but I often find myself just doing it quite subconsciously now, and then doing a sort of finger air slam on the ones, lol!

But yeah, veering a bit OT now. But was super nice talking with you! :smile:

2 Likes

To be honest, the beat jump feature is not a hard ask. I actually used the ultros custom firmware and beat jump works like a charm on it. The parameters are interchangeable throughout the engine os ecosystem. To a point where Im able to have 4 deck capabilities on the mixstream pro. So saying that I shouldn’t want an easy feature such as beat jump is bogus to me. This one feature has been a game changer for me and takes my mixstream to whole other level.

2 Likes

If the $1000 item did everything that the $2000 then who’d still buy the $2000 item?

Beat jump often relies on a buffer / RAM to function well. There’s more likelihood that a higher priced model would have more RAM than a lower priced model.

Don’t let these kranks gaslight you for complaining, this is a very simple thing to implement and should’ve been there from day one. I still love it but I don’t know why they won’t just do this one easy thing to make it a complete beast. It’s the kind of thing you just assume a new dj hardware will have nowadays.

1 Like

What’s fascinating is that people are now so accustomed to InMusic adding features that it has almost become a norm to complain because the equipment purchased does not have this or that thing that was not included at the origin.

The more new things InMusic gives, the more people ask for them

So try complaining to Pioneer because you want a function on one of their products that is not included originally on this product to see.

Be grateful for everything InMusic gives you for free with each new update. These are gifts they give us when they are not obliged to do so.

Pioneer would force you to buy new equipment for the slightest thing in addition

1 Like

I disagree with this “free we should be grateful for updates” argument.

They choose to adopt this method to develop the solution. It’s part of the development plan which means they save time from conception to bring the product to market, they also save resources by trying to deliver a complete/turnkey product from launch and learn from user feedback.

Remember engine 1.0.0

To be fair, something like beat jump buttons, nobody should be buying a device and not researching it to see if it’s included if it’s so vital to their workflow.

They also shouldn’t then expect it to ever be added if it wasn’t included on the core product.

There is a clear definition in the price of InMusic products, and something has to give when it comes to defining products across the range.

I wouldn’t buy an Audi A1 then demand that Audi start retrofitting parts and features from an A6. I don’t see how it’s different here.

Should they look at potentially allowing a remap of say the parameter buttons to other useful features, it would definitely be nice. Does logging into this forum to voice your utter disgust at it not being there give the feature request any more credence, most probably not.

2 Likes

These are not toasters. They are complex products that even with a week of testing or researching one wont cover every feature.

If i remember correctly there is a video online with JWill clearly stating that the products are future proof and over enginered

Inmusic’s strategy is different to Pioneer/ATC.

Pioneer brings a feature set complete product and bug fixes. That is their strategy. They are the market leaders.

Inmusic brings a feature incomplete product to the market and improve it based on user feedback, its a different strategy, with the benefit of the co-developing with your users. There are costs to this as well eg user time.

True. I did retrofit apple carplay into my old bimmer though. The capability for the feature was already under the hood but BMW wanted 300 a year for it as part of some subscription package. Went online and coded the thing myself.