Engine DJ 2.2.1 is now available

when does the second decimal place appear in the bpm display? not all djs works with sync.

greeting from germany Micha

1 Like

…and not all DJs mix tracks together for so long that one hundredth of a BPM would make a difference.

Also, if you refuse to use sync, how on earth are you going to move the pitch fader so accurately that the second digit will be exact?

Even if you could do that, what about the third decimal place? OMG that’s going to ruin your mix if you can’t see it!

When the SC5000’s first came out it had the BPM to the second decimal place. They “fixed it” in a firmware update to what it is now, sadly. I’m not sure why you’re being combative with the guy.

1 Like

If my response was “combative” then so was his comment (the part I quoted). He didn’t need to say that. My fault for taking the bait perhaps.

I don’t think it was bait as much as an honest question from a DJ who prefers not to use sync. Now if they’d said “some DJs don’t have to use sync”, then I could see some people getting defensive.

2 Likes

Sync is a get you out of trouble tool. Yes its nice to have BUT its also nice to be able to go by ear and feel rather than a grid. Relying on sync mmmmm yeah when im having a bad night due to treatment then yeah i can rely on it as hand doesnt want to move as brain tells it to. On a good night na leave the sync button at home. Like i said its a tool. And you cant use power tools without being able to do it by hand

3 Likes

Much AGREED!:+1::+1:

When you’ve beat matched all your life manually before there was such a thing as a sync button you don’t really care for it as much and I like mixing manually by ear, I appreciate wave forms but syncing I’ve always believed (may sound controversial) are for DJs that have trouble beat matching manually. Hence the flood of DJs post 2004/2005 when technology evolved and allowed it.

Not a criticism by the way to anyone using sync…even if you can beat match doesn’t mean you know the right tracks that work together.

1 Like

I, on the other hand, really think that without technology only real DJs would have remained! instead it is full of people who have nothing to do with it !!! just people who made the best job in the world into a job full of clowns !!!

3 Likes

I’m glad you said it…:joy: but it’s a fair point, back when it was just about 2 turntables and a mixer, it was very exclusive to be a DJ as you really needed to know how to do it and have the raw skill set and the ears without waveforms, fx, sync, etc…I must sound like an old fart!!! I’m 41.

The more you use automation, the more likely you will be unable to cope with failures of that automation. Also, when you’re about to fly into the side of a mountain, that’s not the time to turn on the autopilot.

1 Like

In the same way that cruise control on a car is for people who can’t drive?

It’s not a skill replacement button. It’s a tool. I will happily press sync, and I’ve been DJing since the late '70s. I use it to save time, as it’s quicker than messing around with the pitch fader trying to get it in exactly the right place, and/or spending ages listening to the two tracks in the headphones to make sure they stay in time.

Good for you mate, like I said it’s not a criticism to anyone using it for whatever reason, I don’t use cruise control either. I’m a manual mofo for everything!