Engine Connect not working with SC6000/X1850

This is an intermittent issue, but I’d say I’ve been able to get it to work correctly 3 or 4 times in several hours of troubleshooting.

1. Plugged the SC6000 ethernet cable into link port 1

2. Set the mixer Engine Connect setting to “manual” on the X1850

3. Press the engine connect button and the channel assignment screen pops up, but with no channels listed, it’s blank (see photo).

4. When I press the engine connect button, the top display on the X1850 shows a dialog box showing the firmware version 1.7

I’ve tried the following SEVERAL times over…

• connecting the player to different link ports
  • booting the mixer/player in different order (and giving it plenty time to connect/pull an IP address)
  • refreshed IP address on the X1850
  • turned the setting back and forth from manual to auto
  • reinstalled the latest firmware in both the mixer and player

When set to “auto” mode, it does detect layer A on my player and assign the proper color to the cue button/sync the BPM with the FX (more often, not always), but I’m obviously not satisfied with having only one layer assigned properly, as I control layer B with a LC6000.

Unless I have a hardware problem (everything is brand new), then it has to be a bug in Engine OS.

Hey - Can you try…

• SC6000 1 → Set as Player 2 → Ethernet Port 2
  • SC6000 2 → Set as Player 3 → Ethernet Port 3
  • Boot the mixer last

Layer A will be set on the middle channels (2/3) and layers B will be set to the outside channels (1/4)

I own one SC6000 player. I use a LC6000 to control layer B of that device.

@Reese any ideas. You have the LC right?

This isn’t an LC problem, but Engine Connect fails between mixer and SC.

I’ve seen instances that solves this after trying a different boot order. Mixer first or player first.

I think it occurs more often between mixer 1.7 and EOS 2.4.0, but cannot confirm for sure.

Right…I didn’t mention this in my post but I definitely tried it without the LC powered on AND with it unplugged entirely (which I realize shouldn’t make a difference). I do think boot order played a factor when it did work and it seemed it was working more often when I booted the mixer first and SC second.

I haven’t been able to get it to connect all day. I think my only option is to wait for a firmware update for one of these devices. I just got my setup this week so this really took the wind out of my sails. So far there’s a lot to like with the Denon gear, and I’ve been impressed by the phono pre-amps in the X1850 and the sound quality overall, although the crystal clear digital sound (using S/PDIF) is going to take some getting used to because I’m not used to media players and using uncompressed music.

Hey, all! It’s been a while since I last posted! I am assisting another DJ transitioning to the Prime ecosystem! However, we did come across an issue with Engine Connect that is related to this post! The DJ I am assisting has two SC6000M’s and one X1850 mixer. Mixer firmware 1.7 SC6000M’S both on 2.4.0 I have attempted refreshing the firmware of the mixer, refreshing IP addresses, etc. The switch on the mixer has no issue getting tracks from the source from one player to another, so DJing can be done. But it’s hard for me to ignore the fact Engine Connect is not behaving correctly. I use a Prime GO nowadays, but I want to be able to help my DJ friend transition to the Prime ecosystem via the media players and mixer setup. Hoping for resolution soon!

I actually found a pretty reliable workaround but it’s janky…

Go into the settings on the SC6000 and toggle the “collect usage data” slider on or off. Also, refresh the IP address on the mixer in the network settings. I just fiddle with those two things and eventually I’m able to get Engine Connect working correctly.

I have the same problem, so I’m still on 2.3.2 myself (as that one is stable). I know this is being looked into though :blush:

I know it’s an older post, but I had the same issue. X1850 Mixer SC6000 + LC6000

I had the ethernet hooked on to port 1 on the mixer, didn’t get to choose channels after pressing engine connect on mixer.

The fix for me was:

1. Connect the SC6000 to ethernet port 2 on the mixer. (While the lc6000 is connected with usb to the SC6000)
  2. Press and hold the engine connect button on the mixer
  3. Now on the sc6000 i can choose any channel for both layers

Hope this works for someone else to.

In contrast to the X1850 as you’re reporting, the X1800 works very predictably now, I can say. I thought the preview quirks were bugs, but apparently they’re currently as intended. The only significant & persistent bug on the X1800, I guess other than the minor Sweep FX knob centering quirk, is that usually the Engine Connect doesn’t work if the players completely boot first prior to the mixer being turned on. If they’re all turned on at roughly the same time or (more rarely for me) the mixer is turned on first, then it’s fine.

1 Like

I seem to be having the same issue . It used to work , not sure which update it stopped . I’m on 3.1.1 and 1.7 . Cannot get Engine Connect to work at all , no screen comes up on my Sc6000 at all to assign decks to channels etc , not able to share cue colours , bpms . I know the mixer and sc6000 are communicating because I have wifi off and have ethernet connecting internet to the mixer and am able to connect to Tidal on my Sc6000 , so the ethernet link between the mixer and sc6000 must be carrying this info to the player . I have tried the chat comms with Inmusic and they are baffled and unable to help other than refer it to the programmers , i’m hoping tongear something back . It seems strange that only some users are getting this issue and others not . Any more info on this from anyone would be great . If it’s a hardware issue on my mixer i need to sort it before the warranty expires …/ Thanks all …

1 Like

Engine connect on my x1850 has a mind of its own, some days will not work at all & others will work occasionally, sometimes even disconnecting after half hour & never reconnecting, yesterday connected fine & stayed on for hours. No one really seems to know what the cause is, some say it’s the network card, but mine still shows correct bpm on auto, effects all quantised & all decks linked to one internal ssd with no issues, others say it’s a software issue that needs to be fixed in a firmware update, so I have no idea, other people have had success with turning things on in different orders, i.e. mixer first then decks or vice versa, but this makes no difference for me, it works when it wants to :laughing: It’s just a bit annoying that their flagship mixer is so glitchy, can’t fault it otherwise

Has anyone had any comms with DenonDj / inmusic about updates to fix this issue ? I am loathed to send my mixer in to be checked if they can tell us this is a software glitch that will be fixed with future updates . I know my Ethernet is working as i can update firmware and access Tidal via ethernet into the mixer and out to the sc6000 . And i also get Engine connect working every so often . It seems to have a mind of its own ! Works occasionally, then nothing appears on the sc6000 screen when i press the engine connect on the mixer or somtines the connect screen appears without the channel choice being available. I mean , what does anyone think is happening. All other functions work as should and i love these machines apart from this annoying glitch . I will also post any further useful info i can get from inmusic tech on this .

What version are you on, on the players? I used to have this issue as well, but it’s been stable for me since 2.4 or so.

Hi , latest update 3.1.1 . Touch effects etc . Thanks for asking .

You could try the real latest: 3.2.0. :relieved:

Could also be the ethernet switch failing in the mixer or some other module. Perhaps better to contact support on this?

Thanks , i realise i am actually on 3.2.0 . It’s so weird that it doesn’t work and then ever so sporadically does . Perhaps i will have to send it in . I have tried all other options including troubleshooting with in music via their chat service , they are not aware of a software issue there , but they are not the programming technicians and just have a broad but somewhat shallow knowledge of all inmusic brand equipment it seems . It’s either hope for an update fix or send it in . My point is that if i knew that Denon Dj had an engine software issue causing this , i would sit tight and wait for an update fix rather than be without my mixer and also putting it on a lorry and hoping it doesn’t get bashed about or worse .

More members have this hardware combination including me. I’ve even thrown an SC5000 in the mix. Same firmware versions etc. Like @KrisONeil stated, stable since several versions now.

Factory reset might also be an option. Also on the players. Unless you’ve tried that as well.

I have tried the factory reset thanks . I’ve literally tried all combos , updates , refresh, ports, reboot etc etc . You name it . I just want to know if it’s a software issue or could be hardware , as if i know it’s fixed with software i may not need to send it away ….thanks for your input :+1: