Engine 3.3 update bricked Prime 4 :( HELP

Hi,

So I tried to update my Prime 4 to 3.3 and this is happening… turn off and on again same issue…

Can anyone please help me with this? video explains issue. Doesn’t seem to be an option to rollback or redo update without having to go through the main engine os which i cant access?

i dont know the exact process but if you download the firmware to your computer then boot the device up in ‘update mode’ you should be able to connect using your laptop and install the firmware that way.

Hey @Tim_Doring - Can you try the following…

1. Boot the unit into Update mode: Right deck - Shift + Eject + Power on the unit
  2. Update the unit via USB cable and computer

Thanks,

1 Like

okay so i figured out to run that software, it completed, and then it reverted to the same again after the update… the Prime 4 is only 4 months old under warranty, does this mean its bricked :frowning:

Hi there,

I have tried that as Stu-C suggested which is the method you have outlined and after completing successfully it reverts back to the original message above, is there anything else I can try?

Can you try and update back to the release the unit was previously on

Make sure nothing is attached to the unit other than USB update cable connected to Mac or Windows

All previous releases are available here Desktop and OS Downloads + Manuals | Engine DJ under the Engine OS tab

thanks, 3.1.1 worked. guess i will wait for 3.4

Thanks for the fast response and support.

1 Like

Great stuff - If you want to try update again to a newer version, id suggest jumping to 3.2 and then 3.3.

Thanks!

okay so interestingly, i repeated the above update process to try go to 3.2 and once I did it repated the same error as the video except the first screen is update prompt to 3.3 instead of engine profiles.

It would appear 3.1.1 is the last stable version for the prime 4 ? unless there’s something else to it, SSD has 800gb of music on it internally which may not have been all analyzed. but if that was the case 3.1.1 should not work either, i was able to use the software and access engine lighting etc. with 3.1.1 just before.

Hey Tim,

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble here.

3.2 and 3.3 both require a new version of the Mixer firmware to work. What appears to be happening is that the Prime 4 is attempting, but is unable to update the mixer firmware. So it’s not that 3.2 or 3.3 are unstable, it is that the unit isn’t responding to firmware updates.

As a last ditch effort, you could go back to 3.1.1 and then try a factory reset (basically wipe all the settings clean) before upgrading again. If this doesn’t solve things, the next thing to do would be to contact customer support: Support : Denon DJ

1 Like

I came here to say that the mixer firmware isn’t updating from that video but Vince posted it in the comments.

Engine OS has a strange quirk of updating the internal software, allowing this to boot, freezing, and then updating the mixer/control surface afterwards. This leaves a strange 30 seconds of not knowing why it’s all gone slow between these two updates. Two years ago I was also caught out myself with this as I rebooted before the mixer firmware installed, not knowing it was coming. I managed to sort it but was a situation similar to yours.

I’d prefer it if the screen continued to show “updating” between these updates.

FYI if you have an SSD internally installed you do have something attached to the unit…

No it’s not, my 3/4 year old P4 runs like a dream on 3.3.

1 Like

Hi Vince,

Tried this and hasn’t made a difference unfortunately. I am starting to think this device is faulty as it was a open box prime 4 i purchased 4 months ago, perhaps it was missed in refurbishing.

I will open a support request now

Hi “SlayForMoney”

they mean external devices connected via usb such as control one and usb sticks… it would be ridiculous to have to unscrew and unplug the ssd connected internally via sata cable everytime an update is required.

I would be very surprised if there are many people at all that would open up their ssd enclosure and disconnect the ssd before updating.

Have you installed the SSD yourself or was it included? It might be worth disconnecting it and attempting the update. You are correct it’s not normal procedure but it’s worth trying so you can discount it.

Just double check you’re also definitely using the right update file for the right device, this might seem like a stupid suggestion but just trying to cover all bases.

You are correct in saying it is usually not required to do when updating firmware of the unit.

But you are having a problem doing that successfully so you need to eliminate all possible causes.

Basic 101 troubleshooting.

And as Stu mentioned, make sure you are not trying to apply Prime4+ firmware to Prime4 or vice versa

My Prime 4 works downgrading and upgrading with an internal SSD so its definitely your unit. I would say take it back to the retailer if it’s under warranty. It looks like some silicon has gone a little wonky and isn’t being able to be written to (the mixer controller). It happens.

As said, double check it’s not a Prime 4+ firmware (it wouldn’t run if it was) but you never know, you’ve tried via the blue USB cable that was supplied and putting it into update mode that way so my guess is that the retailer needs to get it fixed before it gets resold or it will happen again to the next person.

If it’s a too good of a deal and worked out a lot chesper then maybe look at contacting support and getting it sent off but it could take a while. They get sent to Ash Vale (Aldershot) in Hampshire and when I sent a deck back it was gone for around six weeks.

EDIT: I just noticed you’re in Aus so not sure if that’s Australia/Austria. That is very different if so and heard a few unhappy people who tried to get support in Australia.

Leeds fans, get where water doesn’t :rofl:

Kidding… you have to wonder why an old Prime 4 is doing the rounds as an ‘open box’ return a little bit, if it was a 4+ then it would sound more authentic, but I cant imagine there are that many new Prime 4s kicking about still.

haha, MOT.

tbf the retailer (storedj) has a very good rep in oz. and i have been a customer of theirs for 15yrs and never had any issues with open box generally.

But I get your point, but considering the device comes with 2yrs warranty I wasn’t that concerned either. Also, until recently they had over 5 open box prime 4’s for sale.

1 Like