Denon SC5000M freezes in pre-listening mode

Hi all! I have a Denon SC5000M with a Samsung T5 SSD (FAT32) connected. The problem is that on the player with the source connected there is a hang-up of the player in pre-play mode tracks! Selecting tracks for replay happens freezes on the deck and the sound can be seen in the video, but if you take the second player is connected to the link then no freezes! Firmware is 3.1, did a complete reset without change. I do not know what the problem is, but very upsetting freezes!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SXjpyZFuwe36k0e7s7DFWjE-pKdrHZbb/view

3 Likes

Have you tried reinstalling 3.1 again on the player?

1 Like

Yeap, of course!

1 Like

Did you try it with the USB ports on the back as they are USB 3.0 and faster, the front port is USB 2.0.

1 Like

Tried it, it doesn’t matter! Once again, freezes occur only on the player where the source SSD, flash is connected! Here on the player connected through the link no problems!

2 Likes

I’d try the whole drive in ExFat next.

Unless this is another one of those things that you’ve already retried, got no difference but haven’t told us of yet.

1 Like

Changed the formatting of the disk to another file system Fat32, exFat result is the same, here there is no problem with the file system! If the player on the link reads without problem, with different sources flash drive, SSD drive hangs! If you swap the source - drive between players is the same hangs, but on a different player!

2 Likes

What time period are you giving it before claiming it “hangs” ?

Some database operations are taking 30 to 40 seconds for the first search , showing “updating” while they think about it - but subsequent searches that session only take seconds

If you leave the “hanging” say two mins does the player recover and do what you asked it to.

1 Like

Maybe the SSD is the issue? Somebody in the forum had issues with this SSD.

1 Like

I have a pair of sc6000m and am experiencing the same issues. Preview works normally only on a player connected via the network, on a player with an ssd connected, the player freezes while using the preview.

this problem also occurs on prime go

1 Like

That lazy feature about previewing a track without loading it onto a deck seems to have created a bit of a monster when the routing of its audio became a factor too

1 Like

this is how it works on sc6000m

2 Likes

I don’t experience this on the SC5000M. Preview loading just takes longer on the network linked deck vs the deck that the drive is connected to, and I do notice that the time advances when it’s loading & buffering that section of the track even if there’s no sound yet. The tracks also play faster with preview from a drive than they load onto a layer. I believe that preview will be even more valuable for streaming services when the preview and layer load quality / bitrates are made separate in a future firmware update, but it’s clear that at least right now most file formats off a drive seem able to play some portions without needing to load the entire track. Some formats that are in containers that must be entirely downloaded first, though, might be more problematic previewing off a drive.

1 Like

What format is your music in? mp3, aiff, wav? I have all my music in aiff/flac and the files are pretty big. the master deck to which the drive is connected freezes for some random time when using the preview, this does not happen on the player connected via the network. Perhaps this is due to the fact that when accessed via the network, the operation occurs asynchronously, in the case of using preview on the player with the drive - synchronously which blocks the UI .

I think to fix the problem it’s enough to call the operation asynchronously and do cancel for the previous preview operation (reading a file) if it hasn’t been completed yet.

1 Like

I think I converted all my tracks that were flac to uncompressed pcm formats… probably wavs.

I don’t experience your issue. The deck that’s directly connected to the drive is also faster at previewing.

1 Like

Could not recreate this on my SC6000’s.

1 Like

Same problem on prime go. All files are flac, average file size is 90mb. External ssd - 1tb samsung t7 Shield, original usb3 cable. File system - exFAT.

as you can see in the video, periodically (not always) the interface freezes for a few seconds until the file starts playing

2 Likes

I have the same on Prime Go! Same t7 shield 1Tb drive on exFAT.

1 Like

Is that a sub playlist you’re using there? so ‘Happy Hardcore’ is the playlist, then ‘VInyl’ the sub playlist?

Do you have any music in a direct playlist you can test to see what happens as some others have reported performance issues and its been suggested this may be the reason. I dont personally use any sub playlists at all.

1 Like

Ive used pre-listen with my SSD on a Prime 2 and getting zero delay, im going to try and replicate it using external drives to see if there is a difference.

1 Like