Denon MCX8000

Im looking at getting a Denon MCX8000 used only 3 times still has box and everyhting that came with it, and want to be sure that I’m getting something that can still get updates, I like that its a standalone or can use with Laptop, any help will be appreciated

It’s very old and despite the name on the front, it’s not made by the same company that use the name of Denon DJ now,

After the 8000 was discontinued a few years ago, in-music, the new owners of the denon dj brand, did release a couple of firmware updates to finish off the main requests from users, but it’s an old machine l, old tech and has no further updates planned (reading between the lines from Denon staff)

The 8000s old tech did allow one thing that primes can’t do, and that’s switch between laptop use and standalone without a reboot, but that was about it, in terms of tricks

Not to be a party pooper but confirm that this unit’s screens don’t lock up. It only seems to have affected a certain range of serial numbers, but just something to look out for.

Also be aware, Engine 2.0 drives won’t work with it. You’ll need to use the older version to prepare your drives. If you have other, newer Engine hardware, juggling both might not be fun.

Otherwise. It’s a wonderful board, still! I still fondly remember booting mine up for the first time. What a light show! : )

1 Like

Hi everyone, just picked up an MCX8000 and think its def a great bit of kit, i wanna use it as a stand alone but having real problems sorting my tracks out after analysing them, they dont show bpm? Can any one help me before i l loose my sanity! Ive tried many things and googled and watched many videos but still no joy!

Second post here tells you what version of Engine Prime you need to install to be able to export your track for use on the mcx8000.

Other that that, you will need to be a little bit more specific what are you having problems with.

1 Like

Ive tried the different download options of engine and prime and the tracks analysis seemingly ok but when i export them to usb which also formated its not showing tracks proper and with no bpm’s

Looking at things again last nite it could maybe be firmware, the firmware vers 2.5 downloaded from denon and for the mxc wont unzip? Anyone else experienced this?

If there was something wrong with the firmware file nobody would have been able to download it and update their units. So simple logic tells you it’s something with your PC. Try using a third party application for unzipping, not the one build in the OS. Make sure antivirus is not blocking your actions. Download on your phone and sent it to your PC over email…this is just things you could do from the top of my head

2 Likes

Thanks for the info mate, it seems the file is unzipped but it’s a BIN file? That file doesnt open to display the relevant stuff?

My good man, follow the instructions provided on the Denon DJ product page:

Put the .bin file on your usb.

1 Like

Can i ask mate what version of denon prime or denon dj u run with controller for stand alone usb playing?

You need to install Engine Prime 1.6.1, that is the last version of the Engine that supports creation of MCX8000 compatible database on USB media. Link is on the

When you install it you need to do 2 things:

• in Engine settings, enable “MCX8000 compatibility” - that will add a new column and a flag next to every track to show you it is in format that MCX8000 can play (the unit does not support 48khz mp3 and some others)
  • export to USB using the special “export to MCX8000” button that is on the “devices” tab