Cue bug when tapping out a beat

Ok thanks STU-C. Extreme but if it works…it works

Given the only penalty is the time taken to do it (which you can pretty much just leave your PC to complete), it’s gotta be worth a go?

I formatted my drive, re-analysed and re-exported my collection to the drive due to another issue previously and ive never had a track doing that to me since so it could be connected.

Absolutely agree STU-C. Would love for this to fix it as I have no other issues with my set up so this would make them perfect! Eliminated the system as the issue through this chat so this is the next logical step.

1 Like

Formatted and was getting excited about 40 mins into practicing as was going well, created a loop to tighten to snap out of it to the cue… and it came back :frowning:

Are you using vinyl mode by any chance? it might be an issue with the capacitive platter registering an imaginary touch momentarily. Outside of that I think it’s one for the Denon team to explore.

Hadn’t thought of that. Yeah always have vinyl mode on. If that doesn’t work will update you once support have had a go. Thanks again mate

1 Like

no probs, hope it gets sorted for you.

1 Like

I don’t understand why drive format or type or track file quality would have anything to do with this. That would be bizarre.

I don’t cue play often, so that might be another reason why I never see this if it is indeed a firmware bug.

When I attempt to replicate this problem, it certainly doesn’t occur.

Just exploring options reticuli… if it’s not his hardware thats the issue then its entirely possible its a corrupted file.

It definitely happened to me, and ive seen another thread on here where it happened to someone else too, it no longer happens to me and the only thing ive done different is format my drive and re-export my collection after analysing every track again. I also removed a couple of dodgy files I had in there and replaced them with standard ones (they were video rips id had from the days of Limewire and shouldn’t have been in there).

I wonder if just ejecting the drive, plugging it back into the unit, and re-accessing that drive would be as effective as restarting the unit completely when this happens. If so, all the other stuff could be placebo effect.

If jog bend still works when this happens, then my hunch is that the firmware for some reason thinks Shift is being held when Cue is being pressed. Strange that this doesn’t affect any other button, though.

The only other thing I can think of that has just popped into my head, is duplicate files, I had a stint of removing duplicate files from my library. Another issue I had was with a track id ripped from vinyl then uploaded several versions of it into Serato after id played around with it in Audacity, I seem to remember that was one of the ones that did this, deleting them all and starting again solved.

Hi Reticuli - it doesn’t happen every time I use the cue so might be hard to replicate, but I have a feeling it’s rapid use of it that causes the glitch - basically crashing it. Like quickly switching from hot cues / loops to tapping a beat with it then setting a loop again - quick combos. It’ll be ok then just on the one time it’ll go all of a sudden.

This isn’t really a solution as such, but my personal workflow has changed from years of tapping that Cue pad to start tracks to either tapping the unit itself next to the pad before hitting play, or just using a hot cue pad instead… ive done this to preserve the life of the cue button.

Tbh I have wondered whether tapping like I do is a good idea due to wearing it out so maybe it’s time to change and use the hot cues on momentary mode. I never use the cue to get ready to start a track, but that would make sense too like you said.

I’ve never been one of those tappers with the beat, and have always felt that was a sign someone was a noob who can’t follow the beat silently. I have told people on my old players in the past that if they keep doing that I’m gonna kick them off the decks because they’re wearing out my buttons. Seriously got sick of getting tact switches replaced.

Not to defend the goofy current main cue zero that was finally recently slightly improved or whatever other defects you’re experiencing, but I basically only ever use Cue on Prime players for the purpose of stopping the track and very occasionally setting the main cue zero. I use the Play/Pause and the hot cues much more.

I guess that’s probably because of the prior necessity to be paused or hit Shift to set the main cue zero, which was a stupid legacy thing from old Denon DJ that’s finally been done away with on Prime. Setting multiple hot cues at various spots early in a track, though, is actually pretty useful.

I should also note I do not analyze my tracks ahead of time in Engine Desktop. I only use Engine Desktop to create a searchable database. Any analyzed tracks are just those that have been previously analyzed on the decks from already being played. So that’s another possible reason perhaps I’ve never seen this glitch you’re experiencing.

That last one is another holdover behavior of mine for dealing with the prior database limitations on Prime. I also don’t pre-analyze for Rekordbox and also just use the database creation feature on that, which is easier to use with just a right click on a drive, if I recall correctly, but that’s because I don’t bother with moving waveforms or BPM counters on them.

Ahh got you. I mis-spoke when I said tapping a beat. I didn’t mean tap in order to prep to drop, I meant with everything open/live as a way to stutter a vocal over the other decks playing - I use a lot of acapellas over my mixes

I’d be curious if the hot cues set to momentary cause a similar issue for you if you just switch to using those until this glitch is fixed. You can always hit Play/Pause to continue the playing while holding the hot cue set to momentary. I’m not sure I’ve ever used the momentary function on them, though, especially since they replaced much of the use of Cue for me on Prime.

I have tried them and never had an issue - I think it’s just the main cue glitch. Just so much easier reaching for that big old main cue and not mistaking it for another when I’m moving across my decks, but needs must I guess.

I always tap the 4 beats in leading into the press as it allows for timing the press better with the beat, you can even perfect open fader dropping on beat with practise, which can sound great with house music.

I guess part of it comes from the vinyl days, nobody just lets go of the record when its time to mix do they, they cue it in for a few beats leading into the drop, hoping to have it in time.

I did, but I’m also someone who cringed when a visiting DJ would decide to grab my vinyl out of the blue and start creating campfires at my down beats or even put their greasy fingers on the groove portions of my records after I just cleaned them and put them in plastic sleeves. I began to hide my vinyl after I got done using it… put it under the main board cart with a jacket on top or something. You should seriously check out the Ms if you come from a vinyl background, by the way, though certainly you can scratch a beat before releasing on the non-M touch units.