Bluetooth headphones/earbuds with low latency

I mainly dj using only headphones, and I would like to try to use my Prime GO with some kind of wireless earbuds/headphones.

I know that historically this was not feasible due to latency, but now in 2023 (that even some bluetooth DJ controllers exist), maybe it’s time to try some “new-tech” headphones.

My idea is to connect some kind of “jack to bluetooth transmitter” into the minijack of the Prime GO, and receive the sound into my paires headphones.

Anyone know some feasible options for this? Or anyone did get it to work properly?

The only one that I’ve found to work are the AIAIAI ones, not cheap but better than anything else out there that’s 5.x Tx/Rx. I know of a few hearing impaired DJs that use their BT enabled hearing aids to also DJ with with decent results, so maybe a 5.x BT won’t be bad for you.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B08K8JT6DR

2 Likes

many thanks for your answer, this is the kind of technology that I was looking for, bad news are that this is WAAAY out of my budget :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t try the Bluetooth stuff for Djing, because this is rubbish and waste of money. Aiaiai is the only serious option, otherwise stay by using wired headphones.

Greetings.

If you’re not beatmatching, say a wedding or event DJ then they could be quite handy… but overall I agree with your sentiment about wired headphones. Get a pair with a coiled cable if flexibility of movement is needed.

1 Like

Although beatmatching is performed by plenty of those types/classes of DJ.

1 Like

Oh yeah i didnt mean it like that… i will say though that in the UK ‘mixing’ at those type of events is a rarity. Most wedding DJs over here are some old timer (usually hired by the venue) going through the motions playing Build me up Buttercup etc far too loud with not a mix in sight.

The difficulty there is to be able to establish what percentage of “those types of events” feature best matching (level matching, phasing, genre selection, music programming, harmonic mixing etc) someone would need to know how many of those events occurred and how many of those events featured those mixing traits - eg: There were 100,000 events and 70,000 of those events featured beat matching etc.

That would give you (or anyone else) a figure of 70% events features beatmatching.

However no-one can be in possession of that sort of data - meaning that any statement along those lines is a guess, unless other data is available. Going to a couple of weddings as a guest and seeing that the DJ there wasn’t beatmatching isn’t a good basis.

“Other data” wise, I’ve given training to mobile/wedding (and other) DJs at various UK DJ Associations teaching many of the above mentioned mixing traits to those “types” of DJ.

The pigeonholes all have very fuzzy edges nowadays, and have had for some time.

From 40yrs of attending various weddings and parties (Birthdays etc) my experience tells me that the quality of DJ in those places in the UK is poor generally. This is also a well known thing amongst people you speak to.

I know two guys who decided to counter this and set up a company where they play house, disco, soul, RnB and offer a service to people who want to break the mould from this. They saw a market and capitalised on it, and they are booked out solid for 2yrs and taking bookings up to 3yrs.

This isnt just ‘attending a couple of weddings’ this is from years and years of seeing this trend, talking to friends, work colleagues etc… Its a well known phenomenon in the UK that by and large these type of event DJs are there to play cheesy music, waffle on a bit on the microphone and general just press play and stop. They are also usually purchased as part of the package when booking a venue, with many venues not allowing independent DJs to play there, or at least making it extremely difficult.

The scene where you come from may be different but im telling you now that this is undisputed facts here, so please dont try to argue its not. There isnt even 70% of DJs ‘mixing’ in bars and nightclubs, its more likely 70% aren’t.

Some valid and actuate points there, some not - about 70% roughly :slight_smile:

No, it’s your opinion.

I’m one of those “old timers” as you call them, and I don’t waffle on the mic, I play what the client wants - and that includes house, disco, soul, RnB…or cheese. I’ve even done a Drum & Bass wedding. The last thing I do at any gig is “go through the motions”.

I was DJing in clubs (and mixing) in the 80s. I can of course still mix now, should there be a requirement for it, but experience tells me that the typical wedding/party audience couldn’t care less if the DJ mixes. It’s far more important to play the right tunes at the right time.

1 Like

And you think you’re the status quo for U.K. wedding and event DJs? That they’re all like you?

Or is what I say still largely true, that the vast majority of these people are generally doing a terrible job. Either I’ve been the most unlucky party goer in the history of party going or there are tonnes of rubbish DJs out there.

I went to a wedding do at the Baltic Flour mill in Newcastle last year, a well known art gallery and event space, by the end of the night the guys speakers were literally distorting to ear bleeding levels, with woeful music. I’ve been at parties where the guy thought it was funny to play a Gary Glitter track. The ‘go grease lightning megamix’ is pretty much a given at these events, alongside rubbish like black eyed peas and other boringly obvious tracks.

Fact is, anyone with open eyes can head to pretty much any event in the U.K., and most city centre bars and clubs and far more often than not the DJ will be crap.

The trouble is, if you’re out working at these events every weekend… you have zero experience of what anyone else is doing because you only ever see what you’re doing.

As someone who spends most of their time as a punter, it’s shocking.

Have I been to places with good DJs, absolutely…. Has my overall experience of attending these events for decades been positive, absolutely not.

Also bear in mind, my original comment was about Bluetooth headphones being useful for event DJs who may not be ‘mixing’ tracks together, I never made any comment other than that… it was mr anonymous above who is claiming 70% of event DJs are in fact mixing tracks, which is utter tosh.

Probably leave it right there actually

It’s just not possible to make wildly sweeping statements, tarring every “certain type” of DJ with the same brush.

1 Like

Probably best you buy a dictionary so you can learn the difference between the definition of ‘most’ and ‘every’ Mr Anonymous. That would be a great place to start.

Seems like a nerve has been touched here, hitting too close to home perhaps.

No - never said that. Just disputing your “fact” that the majority of event DJs are terrible.

I’ve been to countless events as a guest too (one just before xmas) and have NEVER heard anyone play the Grease Megamix.

Waffling on the mic is IME a rarity too. The DJ at the event I attended spoke twice the entire evening. Once to announce last orders and once to say goodnight.

He also demonstrated the ability to mix - if that’s supposed to justify anything.

As Pasha said, my guess is you’ve just attended “poorer” events, where perhaps the client has gone with the cheaper option - often the case.

I’m not saying Dave Doubledecks or Sixty Quid Sid doesn’t exist - just that there ARE plenty of pro DJs out there too.

From my experience, at least here in the North East, these DJs are often ‘House DJs’ employed by the venue and come as part of the package, and by house I mean resident not the music genre. As I said these venues (large wedding venues, halls, hotels or golf courses) tend to make it quite difficult for a party to have their own music arranged, making some excuse about electrical testing and insurance or whatever. Im guessing they just want the extra money from the client and not have anyone else muscling in.

I did also say that I know some guys who are trying to offer something different to this and hopefully this is happening more generally across the board, I just checked their instagram page and they are taking bookings for 2025 already so there is obviously a market for a better experience. Maybe its just not reached this region yet, like lots of other things.

I will say the last one I went to late last year at a place called Hardwick Hall, the music was better and the DJ played a good portion of music the party had requested, but he still had it way too loud for the room and volume of people there. This is another one of my pet hates that I have with DJs/Music artists, the lack of level monitoring, and smashing it out regardless, which is a huge issue at events with no sound guy on site to keep an eye on things.

Way off topic of Bluetooth headphones now - and the off-topic bit sounds sounds likes it’s fuelled by sour-grapes of someone who’s lost a gig to a resident DJ… who are usually made resident due to their skills and abilities at entertaining the venues target audience. Venues book artists more frequently than Mr and Mrs Smith do, so the venue can often tell the difference between PLI, PAT, Pro-dub and “my mate can bring his bedroom rig in” lol

And back to Bluetooth headphones …

2 Likes

“Lost my gig to a resident DJ”

Nope, I DJ as a hobby and have done for over 22yrs. I play occasional gigs at various bars where the music policy is music I want to play. Was resident at a town centre bar for 8yrs and that ended last March as the venue wanted to change the music policy to something more commercial… I’ve since moved on to a new venue where I can still play music I want to. It doesn’t even cover 5% of my yearly income, I have a job for that, a job that pays well with a good pension scheme, share options and various other benefits. I couldn’t care less if I have DJ gigs or not.

So your assertion is not even close.

I’ve also posted plenty of links to my mixes, pictures of DJ setups, pictures from gigs etc. You however are invisible, lots to say but nothing to show.

As far as headphones go, the point still stands, for those who don’t ‘mix’ music with the example being wedding and event DJs, they are useful. The end.

Normally, and for a long time, you and I usually agree on pretty much any and every topic which others post up.

It was only natural that now and again any two forum members will have a differing view on a topic or idea, and that’s fine, it’s what forums are all about.

Let’s leave it for a couple of days, agree to have our own views on this particular unquantifiable topic, wait until someone posts up about demanding a cup holder, sampler and nuclear fall out shelter all added via firmware, by tomorrow lunchtime (as that feature is basic and should have been there from day 1 coz “all” the other hardware and software people have those features… sort of … ) then you and I can get back to agreeing. Respect to us both

2 Likes