Bluetooth headphones/earbuds with low latency

A sizeable chunk of my gigs are weddings. …I do some work for a fairly upmarket multi op, who makes a point of marketing his service as “no cheese” & “upmarket”.

The thing is, once a crowd of beardy hipsters have got a drink inside them, they want to dance to the Macarena & Mr Brightside just like everybody else :slight_smile:

I think it’s how you play the tunes too. I may be littering the evening with a few cheesy party anthems, but i’ll always make sure my mixing is on point, …whatever I’m playing.

Back to the original question regarding wireless headphones. The AiAIAI’s look interesting, but have you noticed all the marketing blurb refers to them as studio headphones? If you read some of the info about them, you’ll see that they’re not as loud as regular wired headphones. …so you may find they don’t cut trough well enough in a gig scenario.

2 Likes

Fair enough, good call :+1:t3:

Peace :v:t2:

No I completely get the idea of playing cheesy anthems at that type of event and that in itself isn’t my issue. It’s just the last few I’ve been to have been very same old same old, and not even trying anything different. The best way to describe them would be like that Peter Kay sketch they were so cringe, but ultra loud too.

I have maximum respect for anyone doing those events as all the other work that goes in around timings etc is great, but I just want to see the good ones doing well and not some lazy has been who has gotten their foot in the door at some wedding venue as ‘resident’ and is clearly going through the motions. Unfortunately up here it’s still a very closed shop and not much scope for change.

P.S. my last gig before Christmas I might have dropped a bit of 90s RnB cheese myself :wink:

Are those AIAIAI headphones using wifi the same way a gaming headset does to combat latency?

I have a pair of these below for general music and conference calls, if someone can work out how to rig them up to a mixer with a receiver you can essentially have some ‘wireless’ HD25s:) otherwise I fully recommend them as a good cheap pair of cans with good sound.

Another option (though barely cheaper) is SKAA audio. They have the headphones (Helix Headphones – SKAAstore™) and transmitter (Akiko Pro | SKAA Pro™ Mini Analog Transmitter – SKAAstore™). But you could also skip the headphones and just use the transmitter and reciever (Rush | Mini Analog Receiver – SKAAstore™) with your own headphones. 19ms response time, pretty similar to the 16ms of the AIAIAI.

1 Like

as Nessie suggested SKAA is the best frequency at the moment but any wireless is going to be effected by other wireless signals like cellphones.

While I would like the option on the Prime mixers to have adjustable delay on the headphone section and was berated by clueless dolts for this feature request, if you are not able to find ultra low latency Bluetooth headphones, you might want to just put an outboard delay unit after the DJ front-end master output and/or move the house speakers further away from you to compensate.

I use to dj at home without speakers, only headphones to create my own mixes for listening while walking or in the car

Although not fully wireless, I bought this low latency transmitter and receiver from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B3DR71RY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Paired with inexpensive in-ear monitor headphones, which are aplenty on Amazon, you have decent semi-wireless cueing system. The system also sounds great with over-the-ear headphones. I used it with the v-moda lp2 and noticed no degradation in sound quality at all.

Used for about 2 1/2 hours. Still had plenty of juice left.

Only problem is you have to stay pretty close to the transmitter as the range is not that good.

1 Like

I got my new AIAIAI Wireless + for 1 month now and am quite happy.

The 10-16 ms latency is not perceptible to me when DJing or playing midi Keyboards on my laptop. I switch them around S03 speaker units and E02 ear pads for DJing though, as I want more bass for beat matching. The included S05mkII and E08 (huge alcantare earopads) are a hearable upgrade to the S05 (owned them before) and great for analytic hearing, producing or even recreational listening. They can also be used with BT, then with monster battery life. Living in a loud city like Berlin though,

I’ve shifted more and more to use of NC headphones for outdoor use, namely AirPods Pro 2. Outdoors they are significantly superior for me to the AIAIAI (at least with the E08, but I don’t own any circumaural earpads apart from that) due to NC, portability on and off the ears, ease of use, especially on the latter nothing quite compares. Also my ears are weird, I have to change up between in ears and over ears a lot to avoid getting painful spots…

The overall sound great and imo the best, most neutral you can get with closed DJ headphones in that rice range and imo still pretty decent compared to anything else in the price range apart from BD DT 770/880/990 which I own myself a pair for (880s) aren’t suited for DJing imo.

Its great value for money if youre looking for that wireless low latency, otherwise there is better headphones for 350 € (Germany)

1 Like