Audible sound distortions if the key lock was turned on. Engine 3.0.0

I’ll have to take a proper listen through my Sennheisers in the morning as these AirPods are next to useless for hearing any nuances.

the problem occurs even if the pitch is at 0. this track plays well on version 2.4 with no audible distortion at any pitch value.

I’ll take a proper listen tomorrow then try and replicate on mine by activating and deactivating the lock.

1 Like

Obviously if the track is in position 0 on the Pitch, the Key Lock should not do anything.

The Key Lock function maintains the tone of the song when changing the speed of the original BPM if it is activated.

What is keylock? Keylock fixes the pitch of a tune while letting you alter the tempo, stopping the tune getting deeper and deeper as you slow it down, and stopping it getting whinier and higher-pitched as you speed it up .

No I get that bit, I understand what needs to be listened for, I just can’t do it with the earbuds I’m using at the moment.

I’ll check it out properly in the morning, someone else may chime in before then to try and work it out.

1 Like

Yeah I hear it best in your dropbox recording using headphones. It’s not just the track adjusting to being pitched up or down, it’s as you say an audible metallic sounding distortion.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s right, then I didn’t understand that it doesn’t depend on the position of the pitch and changed it during the recording.

It’s ok I had the issue confused at first, as being with key lock on it was happening when moving the pitch fader. I now understand it’s when you activate or deactivate the lock button.

The problem happens in ENGINE DJ the computer version too

1 Like

here is another example in engine dj for pc Engine DJ 2023 03 12 19 52 09 - YouTube

1 Like

Keylock does not bypass at zero pitch on these. With Elastique activated, it does do something at zero pitch. It causes a slight increase in the pre-existing roll-off, IMD aliasing echo, and ultrasonic noise otherwise already present with Elastique off in the wildly sample rate converted and aggressively processed Prime player firmware. It’s a subtle effect either way usually, though, that’s most audible on very dense, less dynamic tracks. Think lossless files sounding like MP3s: YMMV.

I did document two issues with keylock playing test signals that were overt with scope traces. One was a persistent oscillation of test waveform amplitude, maybe related to the IMD. There was another issue with test signals where they would randomly become mutilated after pitching extreme negative amounts, and would only trace properly again regardless of pitch after keylock was toggled off and then on again. I couldn’t find evidence either was occurring with actual music, though.

It seems like some Prime models’ 3.0 firmware have a different, overt sonic glitch, though, to any of the above, but, then again, maybe it’s related. I haven’t noticed your specific problem yet on the SC5000M, but my hearing also isn’t what it used to be.

1 Like

I’ve just reproduced the same issue with that track in Engine DJ Desktop (Mac)

Out of interest, how come your track is in 6A (G Min) in Engine DJ when the track is actually 9B (G Maj) - Is that what Engine DJ analysed it as? Mine analysed as 9B.

1 Like

I always analyze tracks before adding to the library using Mix in Key

1 Like

Moin @BennyTee,

phps. may the following link help you a little bit for understandig the differenc between 6A <—>9B

https://community.enginedj.com/t/prime-4-key-in-library-view-is-different-than-performance-view/43273

I myself learnt it when digitizing my Vinyls. I had not adjusted the pitch / speed properly (not 0) at my 1210 turntables. When I recognized this and improved by a second attempt the key differs between my first attempt.

So I assume that your downloaded track may have in the original another speed than in the example discussed here in the post.

Only an assuption from my side to check this point.

Good luck

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

Yeah it would make sense that differing pitched versions of the same track would/could result in differing key’s when analysed. However in this instance I would just put it down to that fact that the track was analysed using different software. I think if I was to analyse the track using Mixed in Key it would give the same results as mrtime G(min). Beatport have the track down as G(maj) which is what Engine DJ analysed it as. I’m not going to pretend I could tell the difference, it was merely an observation when trying to reproduce mrtime’s test. Ultimately it wasn’t a factor in reproducing the issue because I got the same results regardless.

2 Likes

I think you guys who are having problems should run a fast Fourier transform spectrum analysis in like Sound Forge using some test tones or volume-normalized noise, and then look at where the extra peaks are showing up. Granted, the following is with keylock off, but this is Traktor vs the usual Engine OS performance you can use as a reference:

1 Like

I got some weird results using RMAA. The pitch was at 0, the test signal was 44100 at 16 bits.

1 Like

Weird. Like the filter is completely wrong. Distortion harmonics are way up. What about IMD+Noise? That’s the one that’s usually 100X the reference. Also make sure your sample rates are working correctly. Run the original test track through RMAA so you have that in comparison to what you’re comparing it to. Like so:

This is for 2.4

1 Like

Good job. Wow. IMD+noise has increased 23%, response definitely seems way out of whack, even compared to normal excessive roll off. I would definitely do a bug report using this, but you might want to do a pass through just with the mixer also as a reference to further bolster your claim the sample rates are correct. Your numbers for keylock off and the old firmware confirm to me that your methods are kosher, though.

BTW, where are the bug reports going now for the public release firmwares? I just found a bug in 3.0.0.

1 Like