Asio driver

Can you make a video of the issue occurring and your workflow leading up it? How many decks running etc?

Does VDJ have latency settings and if so, have you tried reducing them to see if it’s not a performance issue, most ‘glitches’ I have in Serato for example are caused by me running my settings too high then having too much switched on at once (3 decks, effects all running at once)

Do VDJ not offer a driver for that unit? As opposed to a Denon one? I’ve been on Mac for 13yrs now so have no idea about Windows workflow for connecting DJ devices.

No, Atomix (VDJ is the software) don’t offer drivers. Neither do any other DJ software company as far as I’m aware. Drivers are either part of the OS or provided by equipment manufacturers.

As I stated earlier though, there’s nothing wrong with the Denon driver. It works fine for me, using a similar setup (Windows 11, VDJ, Prime 4, Resolume). Logically it would appear to be some issue between the driver and Guy’s computer.

1 Like

Yeah as you say it’d be a much more publicised issue if it was the driver.

Hello STU-C, I’m not quite sure whats the use of the video? I can explain a few things that “might” make things a bit clearer. Before I do that, I want to touch on the mention of “It can’t be the driver/ if it were, then more people would have it or be more published.”

Most, if not all high-end digital audio gear or converters that interface for the purpose of streaming audio between connected hardware like computers, use some sort of communication protocol. In my case I am only referring to ASIO. In my opinion and with most of the professional music world, ASIO is the standard period. Other driver forms like WDM or WASPI are “ok” for everyday entry level audio uses, not for low latency high quality & flexible audio.

There are a LOT of people, primarily windows users having problems with getting ASIO “tuned in” to be seemless as it was designed for. Think for a minute how much different hardware that users have when it comes down to connecting the adequate hardware. In our/my case the Prime 4 and its internal convertor. Then think about the different types of laptops/ computers with varying operating systems and the resources in them. Its almost infinite when you think about all the variables that presents and the possibilities of faulty or failing components. In my case, I am not ruling out the “possibility” that there “could” be intermittent or failing components in either my laptop or the Prime, although there is nothing else that sends me in that direction other than the exchange of my audio stream from Prime to laptop & back.

Now when it’s said that more problems would be know, I say not necessarily. Because you also have to take into account how many people are using windows vs MACOSX, different types of as well as what driver they are actually using or able to use. Some users settle for less demanding WASPI, which is definitely NOT an option for me! There are even more variables when you consider how old Prime’s ASIO is and how ever changing the software environments are.

NOW, back to me and why I have leaned so heavily on the suspicion that this outdated driver is the culprit. All of my other audio gear that provides the digital audio conversion using thier own up to date well written ASIO driver works PERFECTLY fine on the same laptop with the exact same software environment. When software drivers are either out of date or poorly written, they wont just stop working or being “seen” by the connected hardware necessarily. The problem could be like the one Im having. Once connected, its ability to smoothly and effectively stream the audio can be compromised by A LOT of factors within a particular operating system. It can cause not only just buffer underruns, it can cause memory leaks ect… that will not show up immediately, and may take streaming a bit till the audible artifacts start to become audible. This is the problem Im having. Again, before heat or insufficient resources in laptop is blamed…I do NOT have any of those issues! “My” common sense tells me that since Denon notoriously is known for being at least slow on driver development(several years old ASIO)and countless hours troubleshooting. It is “most likely” that the driver is the culprit, at least in my case. I apologize ahead of time if anyone is offended by the long post…just thought I’d try to explain my rationale just a little more in depth. Take care everyone & keep your passions alive! :v:t5::heart::pray:t4:

The use of the video is so experienced users can see and hear the exact problem you’re referring to, different types of ‘glitch’ can be caused by different things and often this can be diagnosed by hearing the sound itself.

Everyone has a highly capable video camera built into their phone these days so it would be good if you can record some footage of this problem, upload it to your favourite video sharing site (YouTube is free) then post it so we can see what is going on and try to help you further.

STU, I greatly appreciate you! :pray:t4: It’s not the camera. It’s more the difficulty of getting the time needed and that perfect moment to properly capture a true representation diagnostic video. Mostly because that any free time to spend around the gear is when I gig on the strip or stream on Twitch. During those times I am not using the Prime’s convertor. Any other time is already reserved by my family😊 As I mentioned, I troubleshot & tried workarounds(for months), been embarrassed a few times both gig’n and streaming live by anything from intermittent degradation of the sound, to loss of connection with laptop and full crashes from time to time, I guess what Im saying is, at this point I have lost faith & patience with taking any chances using it. Again, I truly appreciate you for responding! Didn’t mean to disrupt things in anyway. There is undoubtedly quite a bit of disappointment, frustration & regret that may have been obvious in my posts and replies. :pray:t4:

No problem, im only speaking from experience as someone who has had an issue with their unit, and was asked to provide some videos of the issue occurring.

I don’t really know what else to suggest outside of selling the Prime 4 and purchasing a DJ controller that works with VDJ, something like an FLX10 or Rane four (if they have been supported yet).

Perhaps this thread may be of use to people seeing issues.

STU‐C, if it was just as simple as reproducing the problem then recording it, I’d certainly do that. Because of my schedule and other variables, I have decided that “if” no new drivers get released, then selling seems to be an option. Its just seriously discouraging to buy a $2K controller and not be able to use it as advertised because the company has moved on and has no interest in up-keeping thier support of it. I have lots of controllers and other options. However, I purchased the Prime to be used for a specific purpose. I appreciate your efforts to help!

Have you followed the link to the Serato forum I posted. It seems something similar is happening there and they’re putting it down to an update in April.

No, I haven’t had the opportunity yet. However, I shall. Drivers are absolutely critical and need to be well written as well as updated often! What all this boils down to for me is Denon’s failure to reasonably support thier users…especially when its, or was thier flagship controller and at that price point…THAT is not too much to ask! I seriously don’t think I will support or buy another Denon product! This is my reasoning. ANY company can have glitches, crashes, software and hardware that has issues. There are an infinite # of variables that are extremely difficult at best to “have right” all the time. The reason I have lost faith in Denon is because of what I mentioned above, their track record and mostly, because they seem to not even care to do thier due diligence to look into these forums “they’ve” created and act on things plaguing thier user base! Let’s say they just dont know about certain issues. That doesn’t cut it because thier software or driver team 1000% should know that drivers NEED to be updated and current to the ever changing OS’s, hardware and software environment. As I stated earlier, before buying my Prime 4, I purchased 2 SC6000M’s at $1700 each, and the X1850 mixer at $1200. I had issues that rendered them basically useless to me because of the inability to use them with a laptop, which was needed for certain gigs. I bought them only because both Virtual and Denon advertised that they work seamlessly together! NOT true! And this was a known widespread problem. I talked to techs at Atomix on several occasions and was told that there was known issues with the players capability to consistently send the data back & forth, primarily the data for the touchscreens and it was due to insufficiencies with either the hardware and/or drivers! Thanks again STU-C🙏🏽

I guess in that case your only option is to sell the unit and buy one from another brand if you’re displeased with it.

I don’t quite agree with your sentiment around them ignoring the forum as ive found this forum to be easily the most active with regards to devs and Inmusic staff involvement. In fact i can’t remember the last time i saw a Serato employee on their forum, and we all know about the Pioneer forum and its censorship of anything that doesn’t suit their mantra.

Like i said, if the unit is making you unhappy, move it on and purchase something else, that way you can attend gigs with something you have faith in… ive bought and sold plenty of gear over the years after having issues/getting bored/needing to upgrade. As long as the purchase pays for itself there is no problem.

STU, I wasn’t explaining all of that to get you or anyone else to agree with me. I was merely sharing “my” experience. I have plenty, more than I need in terms of equipment! I purchased the Prime for various reasons and needs…definitely not to have it sitting around OR have to lug around extra peripherals in order to use it. It’s becoming apparent that you continue to make it a point to seemingly defend, which is totally your prerogative. I realize that my issues are my issues. As well as my disappointments and frustrations are in with my “opinions”…that’s my prerogative. No one truly wants to keeps buying equipment, I fully realize thats an option without you pointing that out…lol! I’ve stated over & over about factual info regarding Denon’s failure to “update” a critical driver for a Flagship controller Prime4, and not once have to peeped a word about that issue…other than you do t think its the driver or more people would be having issues. Do you think its necessary or at least good practice for companies who manufacture “pro” audio gear which use pro level drivers, have a need to update thier drivers more frequently than what denon is doing? That, is why it “seems” as though you are focused on defending as opposed to “the” actual issue (old ASIO driver), which I fully realize you or myself have no say or ability to get Denon to update! Also, if there are “so many” devs and developers lurking around this forum, please help me understand why none have made a single comment OR set the record straight if my “assumptions” are incorrect?

Today i discover that ASIO DRIVER for DENON PRIME 4+,■■■■…For two days i have some issues for the tracks that i’m playing.A lot of “scratch”,cut the sound to my headphones and a lot of “jumb” to any of tracks.I delete and now everything works fine.Now i have to find another asio…My system pc:Katana 17 B13VFK OS:Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64 bit 13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-13620H 16 GB @ 2600 MHz

• 8192 MB, DDR5-5200, SK Hynix HMCG66AGBSA092N
  • 8192 MB, DDR5-5200, SK Hynix HMCG66AGBSA092N
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 7957 MB I said it before,its waste of money this controller.Even denon experts dont believe that anyone would buy,so they dont work on it…Too shame…I lost my money with DENON.Now i’m looking to sell it…

You can’t find “another ASIO”. Each driver is written exclusively by the manufacturer for that specific hardware. They’re not interchangeable.

What was the buffer size set to? Did you try adjusting it?

Also some computers have latency issues due to various junk installed. Did you run a latency checker?

Two things.

1. Make sure WIndows is up to date.

2. In Windows (doesn’t matter what version), go into Settings>Device Manager>expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then select Properties. In the USB Root Hub Properties (check other USB devices as well) dialog box, select the Power Management tab. And make sure the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” check box is UNCHECKED. Common issue for USB audio devices on Windows (like since the 90’s), this causes so many problems.

See if the glitches go away IF the latency is knocked up to 40 or 50ms

Ok.Right now i’m check your solution.Seeme like its working,for now.I let you know.Thanks. p.s. I;m very agry with that situation,with denon…

No.Nothing.Still i hear schratches like a vinyl playes.

Keep that in mind,my old laptop plays fine.