Any plans for a DJS1000 style sampler

Conflict of interest, I’d say - why would InMusic release a Denon sampler when they already have a department that deals with only samplers? Its like Akai releasing a controller to rival the SC6000 - it makes no business sense, sadly. I’d love a Denon performance tool, however I am also realistic enough to realise it’s never going to happen.

A sampling remix-workstation/effect/looper is my idea for Denon Prime series. Not a Only another boring sampler - this would be something that is way beyond akai…

1 Like

I dont believe they would implement someone else’s ideas either - they’d could expose themselves to royalties lawsuits, so in the exceptionally unlikely event that they do make something, I would imagine it will be something they have designed. As said before, they have an organisation that makes samplers - thats the nail in the coffin of any ideas about Denon samplers. A real shame, but it does makes business sense to let the sampling people make the samplers, and the DJ people to make the DJ kit.

The force and mpc live can both be used as loopers, fx processors, live samplers, etcetera. I used the force as part of my life set for a while before switching back to ableton.

And if samplers have no dj workflow in mind then it has no sense. This needs to be a product that is having a djs workflow as a priority. Fast looping, sample capture, auto sync with already running tracks, tension building and release effects, fast and easy looping and sharing the data between all devices within the prime eco-system. This is the key. As I said, I sent them already a very detailed design including workflow description based on ease of use by djs in a fast and creative way. They know where to find me if they want to talk about the idea. Let’s just give them time and see what happens.

2 Likes

I cant imagine that to be true at all. Akai have been making samplers fo decades now.

Not in that kind of way. Capturing samples via lan from ahead of the track that you are currently playing is not something that any sampler can do.

Dont give up your day job.

My day job is stage related. 15 years of stage tech robotics (automated lights - yes moving heads and so on), light design (this part now s*cks thanks to covid anyway), and touring djing (well covid again). So only my nerdy electronics that help to develop products and QC them is my daily job for now. I am open for cooperations always.

I’m not suggesting they release a sampler! I’m saying that it should be easy for Denon to add support for Akai USB sample pad controllers to the Prime series. Surely doing so would likely increase sales of said controllers to DJs who want to play samples from their Prime kit.

Result = inMusic makes more money.

Software support between Denon and Akai is for me, the only way we will get sampling functionality to the Denon stable. Hardware’s a complete no-no.

I am 100% happy to be proven wrong though.

1 Like

Parent companies often release the same product under different branding just to appeal to a different type of customer.

Akai made a DJ controller & mixer. This was under InMusic and was literally a Numark product under the guise of an Akai Professional product. It was the AMX & AFX and came out around the time of the APC40 MKII which was an idea to get Akai Professional guys into the DJ side of things. InMusic release Numark engineered “Ion” branded products that are the same as Numark but appeal to the consumer level. InMusic do this rebadging all the time.

By releasing the same product with different graphics, software and brand name automatically opens up a new revenue stream from people who wouldn’t have ever looked at the original brand before. If you take an existing product and “match” the look and feel of a another product ecosystem, it will appeal more to people who by the other brands.

Hotpoint did this with their tumble dryers and when the safety scandal happened they disclosed the dryers was also from the Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, Creda, Swan and Proline brand names.

I guess only time will tell.

Just found another issue that makes AKAI samplers not Dj friendly - Tempo changes result in a crazy train wreck. Even when using midi clock, akai samplers have giant tempo sync issues. So any tempo changes during djing - not possible on AKAI.

My akai force had zero issues with live tempo changes. Which unit are you using and what’s the issue you’re having?

Tempo sync with clock or even ableton link… akai mpc one. No warp, just waits to end of sample… I need it to be seamless like on a player with pitch fader.

There is not much available for live samplers for dj’n. Most of what is available is designed to recreate the daw feel.

For me a proper live sampler has to be made in a way where you can just turn it on and start sampling also it’s gotta have the ability to calculate what operator does.

So far there’s only one product that does this and it’s 10 years old.

Really? Try that: sync the Force as a midi slave, and the X1800 (or 1850) sending midi master clock. Now, make a simple drum sequence, press play and sync it perfectly with the playing decks. Now move slightly the pitch fader to change the bpm. Are the Force and the decks in sync?

Mine’s weren’t, impoosible to get a solid sync, that’s the reason that led me to sell the Force, sadly :frowning:

That is exactly the problem I have too.

Here’s why this will always be an issue.

If you go standalone you will need an external clock and from that clock source is where you make tempo changes.

My loop station works better than I expected with my x1850. When I change tempo I get the little offset too but that’s what pitch bending your deck is for. If you’re skilled you can give the illusion of everything perfectly synced without much effort.

This diagram will show you what needs to happen to achieve perfect sync.

And this is how you guys set your stuff up. As you can see from this diagram why complaints are happening. Hope this helps.image