You don't see Denon in a 'professional' environment

Im just about 4 years deep on not being a member of Facebook, and dont miss it a single bit. The DJ ‘Community’ on there was atrocious from what i recall, laden with trolling and negativity. Instagram isnt much better but easier to ignore.

1 Like

Oh, you missunderstood me, I am the troll

3 Likes

This Reddit thread below will educate you on the Denon hardware/software inconsistencies more than any of the technicians or fanboy’s on this forum would ever want you to know…

As far as I’m concerned, Denon shouldn’t be calling their equipment ‘professional grade’ until they do a complete overhaul to Engine DJ and fix the countless glitches/problems that people have been bringing to their attention for the last 6 years.

As if “Reddit” was a viable font of knowledge lol

Reddit, and that link in particular, are best considered as “Reddit? Laugh about it! and forget it?”

Given the evidence to the contrary, it’s time to rename the thread title from “don’t” to “didn’t”

1 Like

I’m just reading through that thread and a good portion of the things being written are just patently false.

It also looks like about half the comments are written by you and that Radcliffe guy who comments here, so you’re essentially posting your own opinions and passing it off as ‘check out what everybody thinks about Denon’

It’s literally you and a few other people :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Update: used to comment here

( under that screen name)

2 Likes

And spent most of the time complaining because his 10yr old controller didn’t work on new OS if I recall? Then complained about everything Engine and Prime related despite not actually purchasing or using any.

I’ve been testing VDJ out recently as an alternative to Serato, I went on the forum for some tips about setting it up and it looks like he is also a mod on there.

dj soo knows what he is talking about in that redit thread. People hate change and there is no better example when talking about Pioneer/DenonDJ than memory cues.

The rest of the comments there are mostly straight shaite, from people claiming that both brands are owned by the same company to claims that DenonDJ build quality now is better/worse that before based on [insert 1 product].

Here and there you can find nuggets of truth that are less about Denon/Pioneer but more about general state of DJ-ing, time and how to run a business.

As teachers used to say: “bertie, sit down, that’s a C-” :-1:

2 Likes

Yep that’s exactly how I read it too. With some familiar names fuelling the fire.

1 Like

Hi Stu-C feels weird taking on a different post :raised_hands:t3: where do you live in the UK? Hope you don’t mind me asking.

I can confirm six years free myself, freedom has a beautiful taste in one’s mouth :raised_hands:t3:

I’m up in the North East. Where all the best club nights used to be :wink:

1 Like

:joy: Brother I still remember going too the Blue Monkey back in the day, that’s how old I am :joy: I’m British, Scottish but I have lived down in Berkshire for 30 years now. Oh and while we are remembering the past the Venue in a village called Spennymoor, wow that took some remembering :raised_hands:t3: :joy: oh then Club M out in Yarm if I remember correctly. Oh the good times of old Skool, now I’m part of the New Skool getting back into the scene :ok_hand:t3::loud_sound:

1 Like

Hahaha i definitely know those places. Never been to any of the Hardcore clubs as it wasnt really my scene but must have been to Club M about 200 times at least, seen some awesome DJs in there over the years.

The other main places for me were the Shindig in Newcastle, Sugar Shack at the Empire in Middlesbrough (Roger Sanchez called it one of the worlds best clubs when he was resident), Basics in Leeds… then further afield Crasher and Gods Kitchen, and also the Custard Factory in Birmingham.

i live not far from Spenny and heard many stories about the Venue haha.

1 Like

Oh brother you just reminded me of some wonderful clubs from my days of clubbing, the empire, how could I forget that place, I used to have a flat in a town called Darlington that my girlfriend lived in mostly, god damn I loved that place, as for Leeds, Glass house regular, Sheffield Gatecrasher, some of the resident DJ’s are still playing on Mixcloud now, the history of Dance music was born in such clubs, I basically grew up on the street rave scene , Hanger 13, Metro, Tunnel, just wow the memories :joy:

1 Like

Haha thats where i do most of my DJing in Darlo. Its got a great music scene.

Amazing how many top DJs used to come to these little clubs up North, Morillo, Choo Choo, Sanchez, Lawler, Carl Cox, Sasha, Digweed, Tiesto, John Kelly, Tall Paul, Lisa Loud, Lashes, Ann Savage, X-Press 2, Deep Dish, Angel Moraes, Joey Negro, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Tony Humphries, MAW, Frankie Knuckles.

Remember the Manor Born at hardwick hall too?

I did a few months in a club in Saltburn in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Memories are a bit hazy from that time, but according to Google the only place there was called Philmores …so I guess that was the place.

I made my excuses & left after some guy got bottled on the dancefloor right in front of the DJ box.

1 Like

I didnt even know Saltburn had a club tbh… its a really nice place now but i imagine the early 90s on Teesside was dodgy as hell, slightly before my time but heard loads of stories.

This week I’ve been refitting my professional environment with modified Denon gear to fit in with the current zeitgeist.

I’ve replaced the X1850 AKM DACs with valves, mounted the SC6000’s on less resonant cherry hardwood plinths with blu-tac pads. This certainly led to a richer, more vibrant sound.

Unidirectional audio cables were the next step. I thoroughly recommend some of the budget end cables from Chord. No reason to buy the expensive versions.

By far the best upgrade was replacing all the X1850 rotary pots with linear versions. Inspired by the classic Sansui SE-8X graphic equaliser, all my gains, EQs and FX filters are now mini-linear. It took a bit of work with a Dremel, but the sonic improvements made all the difference.

Conversely, replacing the linear Tempo control on the SC6000s with a Rotary pot (10k Meggit humbucker) has really improved the feel of beat matching.

This is more than a match for the sonic purity of a Pioneer DJM-600 now.

1 Like

Audiophiles need to be banned from buying DJ gear :grimacing: