X1850 sound is ducking and gets quiet

At least you are hearing overt, extended-release-time ducking instead of not hearing it, which means RMS is less likely to increase. Glass half full, right?

What’s more curious is that the OP of this thread is talking about the Prime players, USB thumb drives, and Serato feeds over USB cable, and you, Andy, are talking about phono.

Unless the X1850 is using the old Pioneer digital DJ mixer method, you likely have no control over the analog input gain. The X1700, PPD 01 & 9000, X1800, and Rane digitals are all like this, as well as the new Pioneer DJM-V10.

The question is, however, where is the limiter at?

Is it an analog domain one prior to the phono stage, after the phono stage but prior to the ADC (does it affect both line-in and phono inputs), or is it digital domain (affects even SPDIFs)?

If it’s after the ADC and actually in the digital domain, is its data signal path location before the trim-gain control knob or after?

These questions are necessary to figure out a way to mitigate the ducking prior to InMusic doing something more fundamental to the way the mixer works either through hardware or software changes.

Yeah that’s an option for sure. I don’t think i’ll be able to work with it in the long term though. I use the mixer for events that I run around town, and telling my DJs to keep the gains low probably won’t work for obvious reasons… lol.

It’s such a shame, the rest of the mixer is fantastic, and if I were digital only (not digital and vinyl), it’d be perfect for my needs. I just can’t understand why they’d fit a limiter that’s so aggressive on analogue inputs, considering so many DJs still play vinyl these days.

I’m having a similar issue. Two brand new SC 6000‘s with the 1850 mixer. I’m running them into line and sending output through the master channel. Outputs are connected to a pair of Yamaha HS5s. I am barely using the channel gain, no effects, no talk over. It’s especially noticeable on drum and bass tracks with lots of highs, like Jungle. I thought it was something to do with the filter or effects but it seems to happen regardless. All of my hardware is running the latest software.

Why don’t you use the digital mixer inputs instead of line inputs? Using analog inputs when digital inputs are available is a very bad idea. so you lose sound quality every time it converts sound from digital to analog then back to digital then back to analog.

Tbh I didn’t even consider that. :man_facepalming:

Will report back

Is the limiter on by any chance?

Will report back on this as well.

Thanks y’all

Okay, I made the following changes:

• using digital instead of line in
  • made sure that the limiter is off on both master and effects

Still having issues. Especially with older songs or anything with a lot of dynamic range, old Jungle for example. The mixer hates all those highs.

Dear Denon Staff,

I have the EXACT same problem: volume is ducking inconsistently on channel 2…mic is off, master limiter is off, fx limiter is off. Source player can be anything mp3, SC6000, wax…completely irrelevant.

This is extremely annyoning…I’m about to sell the mixer and buy another Pioneer…

Any suggestions?

Hey DaPisk,

maybe I can share my experience with this problem. I had the same thing with an new x1850. At the end it was a broken line fader potimeter which had to be replaced. In my case within the warranty period.

Thank you! Will try that!

1 Like

Hi all Im not sure this is right… the ducking has only started recently ie with a recent firmware update. Ive gigged my 1850 for 12 months no problems sc6000s and 1210s, now the sound ducks with pretty much every click or crackle on the vinyl… In my humble opinion there is some sort of software limiter on the phono ins, that has recently been engaged. The ask… turn the damned thing off again…

Either that or else the overall output of the phonos has been turned up and has pushed us into the limiters range. Around the same time I noticed the sc6000 inputs were a lot quieter, so possibly all part of the same update.

My 6000s come in on the digital ins, settings are all stock, but when Im in the mix, the vinyl master gain is around 12 oclock, (depending on the vinyl quality), but the digital ins to level match are sat at 3 o clock…

cheers Stu.

You mean channel gain?

So downgrading to 1.6 will help eventually?

Is this possible and who has the firmware on his hdd?

Denon would no longer provide older firmware, what the heck…this is an 1600$ device…I’m dissapointed…

Because 1.6 could brick your $1600 device completely…