X1800 Clicking Noise & Audio Level Drops

Just acquired this mixer. It used to belong to Paul Oakenfold.

It randomly makes clicking noise. When the clicking noise happens, the LEDs on all channels (and mic 1) temporarily flicker.

I have a feeling it’s a grounding issue, but when the mixer was opened up to apply the commonly known fix (connecting all 3 posts with a wire), we found that no grounding wire goes to any of the posts (as seen in other videos highlighting the fix). We also noticed a bunch of jumper wires on at least three of the boards.

I’m guessing this mixer is some sort of protype Oakenfold received. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Could be, most likely just an early production model.

On this link you can see the one of the preproduction models (different faceplate, filter resonance knob,…) NAMM 2017: Denon DJ X1800 Prime mixer, and more pics » DJWORX

It’s very similar. Missing the USB covers like the one in question.

I just saw your other post about firmware version on the mixer. Between that and the hardware differences inside that you noticed this is definitely not a production model.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more use, I did help a friend with the grounding DIY fix but that was on a standard model following the instructions, this seems you need someone who has a bit more knowledge.

To be honest, maybe the best option for all would be for Denon Support to contact you and to make some deal to replace this unit with a production model? Unless you are very keen on having a prototype because it has been used by Oakenfold

Thanks for the reply. I’m currently on hold for tech support. I would definitely be willing to trade for a production model, but I doubt Denon will be willing to work out a trade of any kind. We’ll see. Will post update(s) here.

I had the common clicking issue on my mixer, applied the common “fix” but the problem resurfaced. Narrowed the clicking down to a relay toggling on the main output board which appears to be grounded with a metal standoff. Reseating this has solved the problem ever since (almost 1 year ago now). Maybe worth a shot for you.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight Bstubbs! Can you elaborate a little on what exactly need to be reseated? The standoff or the board? Also, which board exactly (see pic).

I regret not taking pictures and detailing what I did at the time. From my memory the board was the one with the main XLR outputs on it. One of the screws that holds it in place connects to the standoff. In my case simply removing the board and putting it back making sure the screws were secure worked.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.