Wrong mixed in key notes in engine prime on prime 4

When loading tracks from tidal that display a particular key like 5A for example changes when the track has loaded and will display a different key like 12A. Because of this I don’t know what the true key is. The tracks displays a different key before the track has loaded as to when it has loaded so this is making it difficult to pre select tunes based on its musical value in the camalot wheel. Any advice guys?

5A is a C, whereas 12A is C# - could it be that you’ve pitched the tune up a few percentages? Engine (cleverly) shows the note your track is the closest to, depending on how much it’s pitched up/down, when key-lock is off.

Platijum notes would adjust the minir difference to bring it to the nearest key by adding cents to pitch correction… but not on streamed tracks. Its pysical tracks only

Tidal tracks don’t have keys (unless that’s changed recently). It’s not a DJ specific site, so the majority of their customers don’t need key and BPM info.

You mention Mixed In Key in your title, but I’m pretty sure MIK can’t analyse streaming tracks, so…?

Just use the key that Engine provides. As long as you don’t mix and match with tracks analysed elsewhere, you should be fine. The final say, as always, should be your ears.

1 Like

This is my advice too, don’t get stuck in a ‘key rabbit hole’ and still try and learn tracks that work together.

1 Like

Ahh… That’s exactly what it is. I’ve not noticed that, if I load the same track in either deck at its original tempo it displays it’s musical key thats originally displayed in the track info but soon as I pitch one of them tracks up or down the musical key will change… thanks

1 Like

I’ve literally just started to delve in harmonic key mixing… I’ve always mixed tracks that I know work well… soon as I load a tidal tune and it has downloaded it displays a musical key with that track. It’s not that the wrong musical keys are listed at all it’s because I’m loading tracks into decks that are pitched up or down and that’s what is changing the musical key opposed to what it originally states in the track info before selection.

Prrss the keylock button… looks like a musical note on each deck mate. It keeps the key regardless of pitch change

2 Likes

Nice one man, another little trick I was completely unaware of :+1:

I use keys when I’m at home digging through my tunes and just picking randoms I forgot I had, usually sort my whole collection by BPM then work my way up from 85bpm to wherever… find some gems.

But it does pay to go completely off kilter and switch it up after a few tracks.

It’s a great tool for long blends of prog and trance I’d say, or melodic techno.

Cool, glad it got de-mystified :blush:

1 Like

Time to read the manual :grinning:

2 Likes

Absolutely :+1::joy::joy::joy::joy: