With which part of the beat should the beat-grid align too?

beatgrid

With which of the first line?

2 Likes

Between the first and the second orange line from the left.

4 Likes

The best method is to scratch the track back and forth until you can get a feel for where the beat is, using a visual image will never be 100% on point.

But as Reese states it’s about quarter of the way between 1 and 2 in your drawing, shrink the waveform down and it’ll become much more apparent where it should be I would say.

4 Likes

I usually do it like this…

Loop for check it!

2 Likes

How do you scratch in engine dj desktop? I’m wondering why they have made navigating the wave form so cumbersome and awkward.

I would really like if they made it possible to just drag wave form and use the mouse scroll button to zoom.

1 Like

Use your mouse or trackpad to swipe back and forth on the waveform whilst the track is paused.

1 Like

Why this spot and not right at the beginning?

What do you mean by “Loop for check it!”?

its all to do with ‘bass’ and ‘kick’, sometimes the kick part isnt right at the start of where the low end frequency shows on the waveform, this is down to how the artist produced the track.

When they say loop to check, they mean put a 4 beat loop in after you set the grid to see if it’s aligned correctly.

2 Likes

Not really a 100% check. If the bpm is correct, the loop will be also; even if the grid is way off. :wink:

1 Like

I have to take this back… :slight_smile:

Because I dont want to keep on switching between my desktop and my dj laptop I use google remote from my desktop pc to my laptop to do most library management.

And just now I come to know that dragging the wave from google remote (unworkable) behaves much different than dragging with a connected mouse. My bad…

Yes I thought the same…

So what’s the best way to properly set beat grid?

Edit: I mean to properly align the beat grid?

Yeah that is a good point Reese actually, and it’ll sound good.

@Dj-PowerG really the only way is to just use your desktop and the mouse to drag the waveform over the point you want to set the grid… or use the grid shift until you think its in the right place with trial and error, most tracks its easy enough to tell where its correct.

Alternatively you can do it whilst playing the music on the device (this is essentially what I do) then sync the data back to your desktop collection in sync manager.

2 Likes

Get the BPM right first. Then set the grid and use the metronome to get the beat on the click.

4 Likes

What I do is to zoom out a bit to flatten it a bit.

Don’t forget you can also use the 2,3,4 as reference points if the 1 is not well defined on the Engine style waveform.

Still prefer the RGB waveform for gridding.

1 Like

Moin @STU-C and all others,

trust your ears, take a breath or feel the beat.

A question in theory: Am I right that the bass can contain different instruments, voices … and normally all are starting simultaneously at cue. In an orchestra are alwas little time differences (one player is a little bit too early, one singer is a little bit too late and the next is sleeping and misses his cue :innocent:).

Kick as well. Once I learnt the Kick as snare or as snare drum.

It really takes some experience to hit the right point. In the mix you will recognize, if you hit or not. I myself had often to correct the beatgrid which I just amended by hand. Just today I amended THP “So good to me” yet again. Mixed with Gino Soccio’S “Dancer” sounds even better than in the past.

Good luck and one day we are all masters in beatmatching

Brgds BeatMaster

2 Likes

Normally, I do a 4-beat LOOP, to make sure by ear that the grid is well adjusted, if it is not, with the LOOP, you will know it perfectly

1 Like