Why are Tidal songs I've played now appearing on my hard drive?

I’ve just noticed, late I might add, when I go into my SD card to play downloaded files, Tidal songs I’ve played appear there now. It’s frustrating because when I searching for something to play and time is running out on the existing song, I choose a song and it starts loading slowly instead of just instantly being there because it’s a Tidal song and not from my downloaded song files. What’s going on?

It’s always been this way.

When you stream a track to a deck, it gets analysed for BPM and key. That info needs to be stored somewhere, and the database is the logical option - because chances are, if you’ve streamed that track once then you might want to do so again.

1 Like

I see this as a benefit. Also you want to keep your track history on your local media. To prevent it you could use a determined USB stick / SD card and preselect it as the source drive before you switch to Tidal.

1 Like

I’ve understood that and that is how bpm’s get saved but I assumed it would just be saved as metadata, not physically saving the whole track so it shows up on my track lists on my sd card as if it were an mp3.

So you see Tidal songs being included with MP3’s as a benefit? Also, Tidal track history is shown already as colored tracks for that session which is all I really need. The usb stick suggestion is interesting, I’ll have to look into that.

No, there’s no “physical saving”. As I said, it’s just a database entry. We don’t have offline storage yet.

In my oppinion, they should do a own playlist/crate for that, and should not mix up our library with tidal songs. If they want to store that, it needs an own place, with option to delete after.

3 Likes

Honestly, since I was using Tidal or Beatport (started with the trial and somehow still using it ) I used the songs I own only sporadically. So it did not go in my way. I also would be able to remove all streaming tracks by using Engine DJ.

In general I am not at all satisfied with Library management in Engine OS. The only thing we are able to do is to modify playlists and this is not enough.

We need more options for.

4 Likes

Yes, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.