White smoke after surge in electrical voltage

Hi!

After a power supply shock (300v) , some music equiments burnt and the sound stopped; and in my denon primer 2 white smoke began to come out (with some burning smell), so I disconnected the equipment innmediatly.

To surprise, after that everything seems to be working, which I can’t explain.

Does the denon prime 2 has any protection system against these voltage spikes, which caused the white smoke?

I can’t believe it’s still working after throwing out smoke and burning smell

First, I am curious what causes that power surge. If that is normal in your region, I would be pretty concerned about my expensive DJ gear. Some kind of power buffering or surge arrester device could be of help for the future, though I am not an expert there.

The Prime devices (not the Mixstream and Lives, though) have an integrated power buffering system, too. It could be possible that it was ‘only’ the capacitor bank which got partially damaged but saved the rest of the unit, causing the white smoke you observed. What you may try out: Unplug all media devices, boot the device, keep it on for a short moment and then pull the plug. If it switches off instantly rather than doing the normal safety shutdown, then me might have the solution of what exactly went bust.

2 Likes

Hello! It is not common for it to happen, but in this case the electricity at the party was provided by an electric current generator that ran on fuel (it was on a remote property and there was no other way to have electricity). These generators can have these problems, although they shouldn’t. there was a 300v voltage spike. Two of the sound engineer’s processors were also burned. As you well decide for future events with this type of current, I am going to take a UPS or a voltage stabilizer.

Thanks for the information, according to what the technician told me like you; Capacitors must have blown. I already took the equipment to repair! I couldn’t test and see if it did the safe shutdown.

I hope it can be solved quickly and the repair won’t be very expensive!

You should look at a surge protected plug for future gigs too.

1 Like

Not good. You might want to get that checked over by Denon service to make sure it’s still electrically safe inside - no melted cable insulation for example.

FWIW. If this was a “standard” small generator in a frame, typically used for power tools etc… it’s better to use an “inverter” type generator (e.g. Honda EU22i or similar) - an inverter’s sine-wave output is safer to use with electronic equipment and better controlled.

That won’t rule out all possible damage to capacitors. a normal power supply has also capacitors to flatten the ripple from converting AC to DC, but those capacitors will deplete after a few milliseconds, eg instantly. A DC voltage with a bigger ripple isn’t per se harmful to equipment, but it will cause all kinds of noise.

Of course I don’t know the topology of a SC6000 power supply. But the fact that would not turn off immediatly wouldn’t necessarily mean no capacitors are harmed.

Good thing the OP brought it in for inspection!

Thanks everybody for the comments. Finnaly, the official service repaired the controller. The capacitors were harmed, the reparation cost was about 30 USD. It took 4 days to be repaired, Now, I have the controller back to work, and its working ok!

I bought a UPS to avoid having the same problem again.

Greetings from Uruguay!

1 Like

And thanks to you I’ve also upgraded my 4 plug extension to surge protected for my gigs too. Even though the UKs electrics tend to be amongst the most robust in the world with properly fused circuits, for £11 it was just not worth the risk after reading your story.

And the reputation of the grid is not much worth if you’re running off a generator :slight_smile:

True but that only matters for direct generator connections, most large buildings in the U.K. with backup generators still have them running the other side of the safety net of a breaker switch.

And that’s also not accounting for generators with their own safety features installed, I don’t know what type the OP was connected to but it obviously didn’t have any kind of protection (again the U.K. will like have some strict regulations in place, they do for everything else we do in this country, outside of breathing).

I’ve been on the planet for 42 years and never heard of a single instance of electrical items being cooked due to a power surge where I live in the U.K… In fact until I read this guys story I’d never heard of DJ gear ever being damaged by power, in 23yrs of DJing. This includes a good amount of ‘festivals’ that were powered by generators.

Well, I have been at festivals in Belgium were all lot of the lighting gear was cooked due to a generator being shut down by turning of the ignition and letting it spin down before the breakers where cut….

I’ve also seen generators drop up to 50V in voltage with every kick in the speakers…

I’ve seen monitor speakers damaged by connecting them to a dim pack…

I’ve seen 380V coming out of 220V wall sockets due to a mistake of the grid maintenance staff at the transformer station…

I’ve also seen 380V coming out of 220V sockets due to a building crane damaging the neutral wire of a 3 phase grid.

Camlocks at a festival being pulled during operation….

And that was all in Belgium, a western country were the grid is supposed to be stable… but it’s only as stable as the people who mess with it…