What’s the obsession with bigger jog wheels?

Everywhere you look on social channels people are whining about jog wheel sizes on pretty much anything that isn’t the size of a 1210. Can someone please help me understand this obsession with it, on my prime 2 I feel like anything bigger is just a waste of top plate space and taking up valuable tactile controls room. Is it a primarily American thing? As I can’t think of a single DJ I know over here who cares one bit, as long as they can nudge the platter to adjust beats.

Hi Stu

Hope you’re well dude. I think it’s more the hip hop traditional turn tablists that want bigger jogs.

If you play house, tech etc then you weren’t really scratching even on the 1210s and more blending music in.

As an open format DJ and someone who loves Hip Hop and came from the 1200s and 1210s, I first got obsessed with the Numark CDXs which were a good set of decks but the CD drives kept malfunctioning.

Saying that over the years I’ve gotten used to scratching on smaller jogs so not an issue for me and haven’t even gone to motorised Jogs.

It’s all about adjusting and being able to hone your craft on whatever so as much as I like big platters to juggle beats and scratch with a bigger surface it’s not the be all and end all for me.

I have the prime 4 btw. Oh and I’m based in England fella.

1 Like

I personally prefer bigger jogwheels, for better nudging precision and feel. For me small jogwheels are a deal breaker.

As a owner of 3 SC5000’s, I would love to own a Prime 4 for portability but for me the small jogwheels are just ‘meh’

But I would love to own a Prime 4 with SC5000’s or 6000’s Jogwheels :grin:

Of course anybody with decent skills will play on ‘any size of jogwheel’ but the bigger ones feel better and looks much more pro.

I think it all boils down to your personal preference and what your comfortable with. I hated jogs when I had to make the transitioning from tradition from turn tables but found my comfort zone.

That’s what it’s all about being comfortable to perform your best.

I think the Akiyama, Citronic, Omnitronic, and Stanton USB-link-able units made by Hanpin had the best jog wheels from a hardware standpoint I’ve ever used, even better than the bigger American Audio ones, even though I sold the formers and kept the latters for other reasons. I also sold the DJ Tech ones that were more like the American Audio ones but even smaller than the Stanton jogs. The GO’s do seem tiny, though. The Versadeck seems like better size jogs & faders, not to mention it has the full mixer inputs.

Funny thing is I have the GO too but they are actually so accurate! But just way too small

No I fully get what you mean for turntabilsm etc, but I just get the impression a lot of the people demanding them aren’t even doing that style of DJing. I’ve seen someone call it an ‘atrocity’ that the Prime 4+ doesn’t have bigger jogs at its price point, as if the cost somehow impacts the jog size?

In my mind a unit like that is primarily for dance DJs and event DJs who would much prefer the space on top to be populated with important dials and buttons. Something like that DDJ-1000, I just don’t get it? It’s like 40% jog wheels, 60% severely lacking In ergonomic controls.

Are the 5000s bigger than the standalone units? I’ve learnt something new today haha, I assumed the prime units were essentially 2 of those bolted together.

Personally my wife has never complained about the size of my jog wheel, but I digress.

From someone on the outside looking in I can understand how bigger jogs look more appealing given the sensitivity control that you have and this is demonstrated in thousands of videos of djs just giving that subtle nudge or spin to pick up or lose some speed.

But I stand by an older comment whereby you guys overanalyze stuff sometimes.

I bet if you had no jog wheels you would still turn in a bloody fantastic mix.

This is not a dig at you guys wanting bigger or smaller, I just don’t get that with technology having moved on substantially, how do you expect or what do you expect the logical size of your tackle to be to allow you to perform to your requirements, again, from the outside, if you are concerned more about your gear than what your crowd thinks, then surely that speaks volumes.

1 Like

See I think something like the Rev 7 is perfect for its use case, but again people complain they aren’t 12” :flushed:, I’ve picked one of those up in the shop and the thought of it having 12” motorised wheels is ridiculous lol.

I also think the prime units are ideal for their proposed use too, whenever I have to cue the beat up or nudge I find it perfectly adequate, I wouldn’t want the unit any bigger or lose the functions around the platter, or the absolute best DJ controller pitch fader on the market (the closest to 1210s I’ve felt)

Yes, SC5000’S are 8" / P4 are 6"

I guess a question is, would you take a larger P4 to accommodate them, or would you be prepared to lose/squeeze other functions to shoehorn them in?

Larger P4 for me :+1:

Ooh interesting choice, I found it quite big when I used one at a few gigs a couple of summers back. I suppose if you’re lumping it around anyway then what’s an extra kg and 10cm

1 Like

i like to use Rane One jog wheels on sc6000m so size doesn’t really matter

I find the LC-6000 a bit cumbersome but I put a good portion of it down to the 37 degree angle I have it mounted at.

Exactly. A P4 is obviously “portable” compared to a full “club kit” but not small or easy to carry anyway.

Bigger jog wheels would increase manufacturing costs only a little bit, but would feel/look much better.

1 Like

Yeah that’s fair, I love the whole footprint of the Prime 2 personally, so easy to carry around to gigs, and stash in our under stairs cupboard. It surprises me it was never more popular, although once upon a time the prices of the 2/4 were very similar.

1 Like

True…I was close to getting the P2 and then ended up getting the Go and then 6 months later I got the P4. Regardless all really good pro kit. I love the prime eco system and yes as consumers we will always whinge about the things that aren’t in these units but overall with all the updates I’ve seen in the last 3 years, bigger jogs i can absolutely live without.

In fact the precision I’ve taught myself in doing what I traditionally did on turntables feels quite rewarding and a testament to the fact that it’s not the gear…it’s the DJ.

I’d prefer tension adjust over anything else on the jogs tbh… I usually wind CDJ ones up to full tension so my only downside to the P2 is them being a little loose.