What are your experiences with Lexicon? And does syncing work well in all directions?

Hi there,

so I got on Denon SC6000s a couple of days ago and, besides Engine, also need to use Serato and Rekordbox. So the last couple of days I was trying to figure out a good workflow to sync between DJ software and library management. Now, I already realise that this will be tedious and probably cause a lot of headaches in the future.

Therefore, I am now considering to hop on Lexicon. On paper, the software looks really cool and what I read so far from users also sounds promising. I just wanted to hear again from Denon/Engine users how it works for you so far, are you happy, are there still any major problems with Engine (and Serato) integration?

I also have a more specific concern. I understand that you can use Lexicon to centrally manage your library and from there sync to the various platforms. But what about making changes within Engine OS on, say, the SC6000 (e.g. setting cue points and loops, creating new playlists, shifting tracks around etc.). Will I be able to effortlessly sync all these changes made on the fly back to the main lexicon library and then from there to other DJ software?

it’s finally pretty much on point imo but i advice you to constantly make back ups of your library files to be safe. i can happen sometimes you encounter a glitch (not often but i can happen)

try the app (you can get a trail version if 'm not mistaken) i also replied to your question in the other topic about lexicon :wink:

I use it to sync serato to engine. When it works, its sweet but ive been burned hard by the software a few times. Recently, It erased all my serato cuepoints. Turns out, it was a bug when using the tool to automatically fill in the track year. It took me weeks to re-do my cuepoints. Lexicons cue point generator is seeet in theory, but its not even close to being as accurate as setting cues manually. Even with backups, i didnt see this issue until after i backed up the back ups, as i download and organize new music regularly. Now i check the forum for people reporting bugs before i use it.

If you are going to manage your library in another software, then lexicon is a must IMO.

For your concern. I think you would be able to manage your music in lexicon. Sync to engine. From engine, sync to your storage (SD, SSD). Then sync back to engine, then back to lexicon.

Puh, that sounds pretty horrible. But I guess things like this can happen and one needs to be extra careful. Thanks for the heads up!

So I always need to go Player (SSD/USB) → Engine → Lexicon ? Or is it also possible to directly sync to Lexicon (Player → Lexicon → and from there to the various DJ software when there is need.

Thanks so much mate!

Yeah, what a nightmare it was! Sad for someting thats $18 a month. You cant sync from the player to lexicon to my knowledge. Its a big workflow. Ut after you get the hang of it, its mostly letting the computer do its thing. Im not syncing from the player. I just try to remember tracks that need moved or edited and then do it after. I take pictures with my phone to jog my memory. I put in a feature request for a screen shot ability in the players so we can more easily remember tracks via screen shot.

Ah damn, I was hoping to be able to sync directly from Player to Lexicon, bypassing Engine.

What is the reason that you do not sync (to Engine) from the players? You are experiencing problems doing so?

Ive actually never tried it. I use serato and i dont want to use lexicon as my central app. Especially with how problematic its been. I now have a new bug request in with Lexicon. All the. Hanges i make, i want to make in serato first.

You can export from lexicon, directly to your player but the player will need to analyze the songs right at load. It adds a little bit of time to the loading.

You might want to ask about syncing from the play to lexicon in the lexicon forum.

I’ve found Lexicon pretty solid for my workflow. Which is this: I import new music into Traktor, which is my favoured database for analysis and setting cue points. I need to playback on three kinds of devices, depending on the gig.

I export Traktor>Lexicon. I export Lexicon>Rekordbox I export Lexicon>Engine

To be honest, this function alone is easier with Lexicon than any other tool I’ve used and it is worth the price of admission for me. Also, all my original music files are backed up to at least one other location, same for the Traktor database, so if I encounter a problem I can always regenerate.

I know Lexicon has the potential to be the primary music database and there are a lot of features there that Engine, Serato etc… don’t offer. Like looking up energy and popularity from external databases. They’re not part of my workflow so I can’t speak to how mature they are.