Wavefroms prime 4

I don’t understand why when we connect serato on prime 4 the screen is so much useless ? Why they don’t put real waveforms which they will be really useful like mcx 8000 ? i dont understand ? ok we have the laptop connected but personally i have it because i want stems, quick search from the keybord, my personally mapping and have the oportunity to download a song if its neccesary… but the screen is useless with these waveforms do something its a 2200 euros controller…

What’s your specific problem with it? And isn’t it something you should be addressing with Serato?

1 Like

I don’t think any product , in any portfolio, be it DJing , fishing , cars , lightbulbs, or tennis shoes has every feature presented by any other product

Generally most products share some features.

It’s just a case of buy the product that comes -closest- to your needs: It’s unlikely that there’ll be one single device which ticks every single box from every supplier

2 Likes

If you use Serato why did you buy standalone hardware. And if you do write to Serato because it’s totally hopeless on Prime 4.

Serato DJ on Prime 4 is wasted. Try using Virtual DJ on Prime 4 and you will see a real revolution.

Because unfortunately Engine DJ does not yet have all the functions that would be necessary, and which instead are available in computer software (Serato or Virtual DJ). :man_shrugging: :person_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

Connect a keyboard to the Prime 4.

I think I mentioned this to another user, is it really not known outside of the forum that keyboards work on the Prime hardware?

1 Like

Serato DJ is not a great experience on the Prime 4 unfortunately. It works but it’s not how we’re used to playing with it.

As others have said, VDJ did it better (much better). I’m a Serato DJ guy through-and-through but realise they never utilised that screen well at all and get envy when I see how VDJ did it.

Personally I think it could be a limitation in the hardware as Serato will always want to do it the way THEY want to do it yet other hardware can manage SDJ waveforms (6K and SC Live). I read that the original virtual DJ skin was jerky and jittery if it was too big on their skin so used a cropped version for the final official one. Maybe it’s the SDK or Serato’s implementation but either way, it’s not great.

The newer Senon DJ hardware has slightly different internals and I feel that they got a little boost so they get Serato’s waveforms. Just a hunch though.

I couldn’t care less about what the Prime 4 / Live 4 screens are actually showing when working with Serato. The main reason to work with DJ software on my AiO, at least for me, is the access to a proper 16" MacBook Screen plus illuminated keyboard, both more than handy for long (5hrs+) multi-genre / open-format gigs. And since I have those big and smooth waveforms on my laptop screen, I don’t need them on my device again (redundant)

I assume for some people, who just connect their laptop for the mere access to Stems or a more sophisticated Sampler, while keeping their laptop closed / tucked away, a proper device GUI (like VDJ offers it) becomes much more relevant. I doubt they form a majority, though.

As stated here, once a Serato device has been released, later GUI improvements are very unlikely to happen (afaik it never happened so far), and even if so it would be up to Serato, not Denon. I am in contact with Tom from Serato on a different matter: several LEDs on the Live 4 are not lit at all instead of glowing 50% dim when inactive (Loop In/Out, Cue/Pfl buttons, Slip) like they normally do. This actually has been acknowledged as an issue and is on their bug-tracking software, however not of top priority, understandably.

For me, a Prime 4 / Live 4 is a great standalone device, with Serato/VDJ (laptop screen) control as secondary bonus, similar to RB in performance mode - no need to buy an extra controller.