USB Ethernet Works on SC Live 4

I quite often use the connect to Desktop Engine DJ on the SC Live 4, and over Wifi it was quite slow to download tracks.

Turns out if you plug a USB Ethernet adapter into USB 2 it works perfectly. It hits well over 200Mbits pulling tracks down which was significantly faster than Wifi, even with the Wifi router in the same room.

Not sure if it works with the SC Live 2, but it may well do.

I’m using a UGreen USB Ethernet dongle from Amazon.

4 Likes

I can concur AND it works flawlessly with “Now Playing” app! Great speeds and connectivity.
Finally - ABleton Link also works over the USB Ethernet adaptor! My adapter is a USB Hub with Ethernet - all functions fine!

3 Likes

What is this “Now Playing” app you mention ?

It’s this one:

The creator is also on this forum and is super helpful.

NOW PLAYING is great for streaming - it sends the track info to the screen as an overlay…

3 Likes

By far the best Now Playing app ever!

I never tested the SC Live with a USB Ethernet dongle as that was one of my jobs before I left work where we have one. Oh well. You guys have done it for me!

1 Like

I’m already asking for tweaks on their Discord :grin:

He’s great.

He’s in here as @TRIODE and is very knowledgeable and friendly. As he’s both a DJ/programmer it means he knows what we want.

1 Like

I did test 2 usb-lan adapters, and seems like a USB hub with built in LAN also works very good.

2 Likes

So then… with this kind of adapter you are able to use Stagelinq protocol…? Thats was one of my no go’s for the sc live not having a rj45 slot for Stagelinq stuff… very interesting!

I think so. The Now Playing app uses Stagelinq and that works fine. Its exactly the same as with wifi, but over ethernet and USB.

Yes, just tried it out with my SC Live 4 on 3.2.0 and it works with GitHub - chrisle/StageLinq: NodeJS library implementation to access information through the Denon StageLinq protocol (code by the same person that made the Now Playing app)

Sup guys, any experience with Ableton Link + iPad Pro with the Live units? Would like to give it a try “just for fun”, now as I dig deeper into Logic Pro. I would need some kind of dongle anyway, to use it with my Launchkey 37 and headphones simultaneously. The Launchkey alone already works nicely, no extra power needed. To clarify: The Launchkey itself is not related to my plans involving the Live 4.

As for Ableton Link, afaik it’s a network protocol (Ethernet / Wifi), so I am not sure if a direct USB-to-USB connection between Logic/iPad and Live 4 does work. But since the iPad has a USB/TB port anyway, while on the Live it is USB as well, does the protocol even care what is happening ‘in between’ aka [USB ↔ USB] vs [USB ↔ LAN ↔ USB]? In my logic (pun) it shouldn’t.

If that is correct, I’ll look for a good USB-C dongle with USB-A and a headphone port (which would double as audio source for the Aux-In in the Live 4). Extra PD is just optional, the battery in the iPad is more than good enough for my sessions. I just need a stable connection.

Hey there - So you can use wireless or wired link from the Ipad > SC Live But…

If you are using the AUX in then there is a processing delay between the inbound signal and the output meaning that your beats will be slightly mismatched…

I have the following set up currently: SC Live 4 > External Mixer (Ch1) Ipad Pro > MPC > External Mixer (Ch2)

Both connected over wireless (Ableton link).
Both “Could” connect over hard connection (Ethernet) using USB C > Ethernet (ipad) and USB > Ethernet (SC Live) - this configuration works fine but the wireless version is fine too as the midi clock is not strenuous over wifi…

NB - I have tried changing the output on logic OR launchpad to compensate for the delay but to no avail!! NB2 - When using the USB C on the ipad you may need a powered hub (I cannot attach audio out AND a Launchpad KB to a dongle…)

In the pic you can see the external mixer (Top right) which is summing the audio signal. If I run the audio straight into the AUX there is a lag…

Thanks Pwnda! Yeah, I certainly wanted to go the wired route. But without any external mixer to keep it simple and easy for transport. Since I need a dongle anyway, I gonna give it a try. If it doesn’t work, no biggie.

I had this too with my standard iPad. It is a small (around 15ms) delay that just needs a little compensation but works. I use Remixlive.