Trackpad Scrolling in Mac Ventura Buggy

Only thing I can suggest is close all programs down, reboot then re-open just Engine and see if it’s still happening.

Thanks for the thoughts. It happens on a fresh reboot without anything else running.

Sorry, I’ll have to let someone else jump in to assist if that hasn’t solved.

Only thing different for me is im on Ventura 3.5 and the new 3.2.0 Engine version.

I’ll try the OSX update. I can’t seem to find the 3.2 Engine to download?

It’s linked in the 3.2 announcement post, not on the site at present I don’t think.

2 Likes

Ah. Thanks. Found it.

1 Like

NP, hopefully it sorts the issue out for you. I’ve had a problem with the software popping up when using other apps which I reported.

I can confirm that it still happens with Engine DJ 3.2 and Venture 13.5.

It happens on the “release” of the scroll, not when the fingers are actually scrolling on the pad. It stays consistent when the fingers are scrolling and only glitches when the fingers leave the pad and the “momentum” of the scroll continues.

1 Like

Just tried that and still no joy replicating from my end.

@STU-C , this is the same issue we were discussing a few days ago.

it’s something to do with the event handling and inertial scroll of the buffered views.

@brianr , i’m sure if you have enough playlists, you can do the same thing with the tree view on the left. This has been an issue for me for quite some time as posted here on March 2022: Tree and listview scroll logic is off (stutters with trackpad + inertial scroll)

Yes!!! I was just sitting here trying to figure out how best to describe the scrolling issue in the grid view and make another video and post. I’m having that problem as well. It seems to jump back to one of the prior hot cue points. Super annoying.

yes, it’s specifically an issue with slow scrolling or gentle “nudging”.

The issue may actually be with Qt itself (the underlying UI Framework).

1 Like

I managed to get it happening on my computer, it seemed to me that doing it on smaller playlists (where the scroll bar was around 1 inch in size) was the easiest way to trigger it. Previously I’d been using longer playlists and it wasn’t happening.

Not sure if this could make a difference to your testing. I’ll do some more today and also fire my mouse up to see if it happens when scrolling with that too.

Heyo folks, I observed the same happening occasionally. I am on Monterey. All other programs (including SoundSwitch) work perfectly fine with the Trackpad, so the issue is not on the MacOS side. I also assume some GUI-related glitches. Nothing too serious for me personally, but wouldn’t hurt to keep a close eye on that.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad - I confused this issue with something else. I think it was my mouse (MX Master 3) which caused issues. Probably related to Logitech option. Again, all other apps are fine. SoundSwitch also works, the scrolling is just (too) slow, trackpad operation is fine though!

I have the exact same issue on Mac. So I concur, it’s also with the Magic Mouse. It appears that Denon may not be spending as much time or investment in smooth mac integration. Hard to speculate why, could be financial or statistical (law of diminishing returns). I think there’s enough evidence warranted for the company to consider investing a little bit more into integration with mac though, for instance supporting mac extended filesystem would be a huge boon for us mac users rather than having to use EXFat for external hard drive read/write.

1 Like

That would make a lot of sense. They’re using cross compatible tech, that way they’re dealing with a single codebase but, with that does come its own pitfalls as shown with some of the UI usability concerns, but I’m on team Denon, I believe in the tech and I’m pretty sure they’ll be able to figure something out.

I mean geeking out here, but I mean it would be possible, if they have their core logic extracted from the UI, to put in c bindings in swift and have a fully integrated mac UI instead… but that level of investment is probably a lot of money. lol

1 Like

Yes, that is entirely possible but definitely not worth the ROI. The “single code base for multiple platforms” is the holy grail that so many companies invest millions into, and when it comes to high performance apps, Qt is high on the list. It’s in soooo many places, and it was no surprise to learn it is used on the EngineOS devices.

I recently downloaded the OSS version of Qt to try to replicate the scroll bug but didn’t get further than installing it. I have other personal projects that I want to finish like syncing bear info to my RGB screens, but I will get to looking into it because my curiosity is too strong :rofl:.

In regards to the efs comment, lots of reasons why ExFAT is better: including speed/ storage storafe size balance, “free” support across MacOS & Windows, and the “it’s good enough” factor.

Also, IIRC, efs was sunset in favor of APFS a few major revs of macOS ago. Forget which thought. </Nerd out>

Btw, love nerding out with anyone who is willing. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Not sure if this is a solid test or not but mine seems to work if im scrolling perfectly vertical up and down, then stutters more if im scrolling at an angle on the trackpad.

See if you can see any difference at your end.

<nerdIn dev=“c# these days”>

Nerds unite! XD

Couple things to note, yes APFS is the newest, it’s for flash drives and solid states. os extended is for disk drives, older OS’s and a good bet for an external hard drive. I’m telling you right now, I’ve had pain points dealing with EXFat on MacOS. Now I keep it disconnected out of fear, until I’m ready to use it, but if the power goes, like it has been and it’s connected: hours of dealing with disk doctor. It’s a royal pain the ass. Software systems in audio have spent the time invested integrating with the MacOS ecosphere, I’d like to see the same in Denon, at least some day because it’s a QoL thing. Your data is safer in a mac ecosphere when you have your library’s FS formatted to best integrate with Mac’s system and if EngineOS would integrate that a little better, it would be awesome.

I have my production data on a mac os extended drive because it works very well that way, little latency nice integration, no fear of loss of data if the power goes out. It just works better. And I have to break up my tunes into an EXFat drive because EngineDJ doesn’t support it. That is the only reason that I have it that way. Otherwise it would all be on the same external drive and I could just switch out to a new drive after a while for redundancy backup reasons.

As far as the c bindings and such, yeah I was just spitballing, I don’t really think it’s worth it either (law of diminishing returns) plus EngineDJ does work pretty well as is. Now if they just got that import situation working with missing tracks it would really start to sparkle as central library management system on top of being a DJ tool. I still can’t really keep it as a “central” library component where other software systems (like iTunes and Rekordbox) are peripheral because there’s still some hard edges. But I really do love the tech, and I’m all about the SC Primes. Those are awesome players, so I’m in.

</nerdOut>

1 Like

Oh man. Love meeting fellow nerd DJs :heart_eyes:

1 Like