Touchscreen and Jogwheel Problems in Cold and Humidity (PRIME 4)

Hello,

last weekend I played at a rave which was in an old empty basement. The later it got, the colder and more humid it became. I would estimate it was about 10-15 degree Celsius and relatively high humid. I almost always used the song preview function in the browser. At some point, I could no longer operate the touchscreen. Everything went crazy as soon as I tried to do anything on the touchscreen, scroll or try to preview a song. So I could only use the buttons to navigate. Unfortunately, there is no way (as far as I have found out) to control the song preview function via the buttons, so you can no longer use this feature. My smartphone, which was also constantly open next to the Prime 4, worked without problems and I could use the touchscreen normally.

What I also noticed is that at some point I could no longer use the jog wheels properly because when I turned them sideways they reacted as if I was touching them on top and wanted to scratch. But I was able to solve this via the VINYL mode, which was not too bad.

I wanted to ask if you also have such problems when it is cold and humid?

Thank you for your experience.

It certainly makes sense… i know your phone wasn’t impacted but the phone companies spend millions on research and dev to get their screen tech up to a standard whereby they work in harsher conditions. Try a tablet that has a much bigger screen and you’ll see its not great when its been allowed to get cold.

I have a camera with a touch screen and when it gets really cold it becomes more difficult to use.

As far as using it at the gig goes, id recommend some kid of small fan heater near the device to combat the situation. I try not to leave mine in my car overnight or even for too long prior to a gig in winter as i know it impacts the usability of any touch interface. My last gig i got there early and let the device acclimatise to the bar after it had been in my car in freezing temperatures, both the platters and the screen had steamed up as soon as i brought them inside.

2 Likes

Unfortunatly if it is a modern touchscreen and not one that uses physical touch, like some older generations or specifically made screens for harsh conditions like warehouses, this is a normal behavior.

Just a note, high humidity and electronics that are not IP6… like all DJ equipment, should not face extrem humidity. If it still happens, make sure to put it in some heated area after the gig for a good amount of time and leave decksavers or cases off. So all water can evaporate

1 Like

Sometimes I have trouble with my jogwheels as well, but temperature and moisture should be at a normal level, but maybe I gonna get a meter to see and figure out if this might be the problem. I just opened a thread to discuss this.