Touch Effects Out Of Time

I’m not sure if this is a bug or intentional but I feel the touch effects need a little more tweaking. The timing on some of the touch effects seems to be slightly off… when touching the screen to active an effect it seems like the effect is quantised to perform after the press and sometimes seems to completely ignore if the beatgrid and fire half way through a beat. The only way to describe it is as a half beat lag and when the effects are designed to be applied in time, it makes them unusable.

You haven’t mentioned which effects, which device you’re using etc.

It’s definitely not something I’ve noticed or has been widely reported.

Yeah sorry, I was typing after a gig. Prime 4+ and a mixtrack pro go - both exhibit the same behaviour. Will record a video later and explain but one example is the noise gate on the prime 4+. From memory the 1/4 seems to work as intended but the 1/2 seems to wait half a beat then engage…jumping or sliding between isn’t smooth and as you would expect, especially when compared to the actual beat effects noise gate and flicking between both beat devisions whilst active.

I’ve not noticed much myself but it could be sensitive to touchscreen latency lag on smaller increments. I’m not suggesting that’s what it is but there’s a possibility. I can sense a little lag but it’s minimal and doesn’t impact the way I use it. I suppose a gate effect is more noticeable.

I can’t see how it can be fixed if it is that. It’s just the way these electronics go (like an Android tablet from 2015).

Maybe, if it is touchscreen lag on some models, the firmware could be changed to allow the effect to be chosen from the touch screen but activated and timings changed by a hardware control, like the parameter knob eg: push it in for on/off , rotate it for increase or decrease

1 Like

Some effects seem to be fine though…doesn’t feel like a touch screen lag, more an activation thing of the effects. I’ll record a video later and try to show what I mean

It’s definitely possible to get that down with some optimisation and while they’ll always be a small degree of lag in milliseconds it sounds like it could just be a timing issue with the firmware.

I’ll check it out as I’m interested to see the difference between models (if there is any).

I suppose it could be blamed on the latency if all effects at this beat length are affected but it seems there is only this one affected so it probably is the effect “rounding up” the activation beat rather than starting from the moment it’s pressed. Possibly an effect ‘launch’ quantise.

Just out of interest did you remove your screen protector.

Mines is still firmly attached to my Prime GO and I have not noticed any lag whatsoever but it’s not too say that varying thicknesses of plastic film may have been used at the factory during production.

On gate effect at 1/2, it’s very noticiable.

1 Like

I’ve just loaded up the Prime 2 and can’t replicate the issue, I tried both Gate effects and they were working as expected on a variety of different cut times.