Tidal Workflow Issue

OK, i haven’t managed to get an answer to this searching through various fora. So here it goes:

I want to create a streaming only playlist. here are my options and this is why i keep reaching a dead end.

Option 1. use Numark mix stream pro +. The select/edit option appears only on source SD card where everything that I have ever played appears. There I can create a playlist from the songs that I have already played and imported. that was neat in the beginning but now with 100’s of songs in various genres it is literally impractical.

Option 2. Use engine DJ software. that does not allow to select a playlist from lets say Tidal, copy it and paste it. it does not allow me to stream the song so i cannot listen to it. i need many times to listen to a 30 second sample at least to remember the song and build my playlist.

Option 3. use another software like serato DJ. that works for playlists but its not different than doing it on Tidal itself since i cannot copy that playlist to an engine DJ.

So in essence unless you have a physical file, streaming is only for the odd song here and there that someone asks and you don’t have… right? am i missing something?

PS> ofcourse the issue of analysing multiple tracks still remains, however I WILL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN i GET THERE…

Create your Tidal playlist using the Tidal site on your computer. Then you can choose Tidal as source on your controller, and see the playlist.

I get that. Thanks. What I am trying to do is select some songs from the ones played (as they appear on engine after being played from tidal)

The songs have already metatags on them like BPM and key and is very useful for creating a playlist

Doing it on tidal is like starting from scratch every time ignoring all the work done (I.e. BPM, key cues etc)

First of all you need to analyze all your Engine OS tracks from the console as it is not possible to do this (for now) on Engine DJ Desktop. Listen to your tracks one by one, even just the initial part, so they will be analyzed and inserted into the Engine DB.

Now you can move to your computer and use Engine DJ Desktop to create your own playlists as you like. Of course, you can’t listen to the tracks, but if you’ve done so before, you’ll know how to sort them into playlists.

Now you can make a playlist that you can call whatever you want and take from the collection your streaming tracks that you listened to just before. To find them you can help yourself by searching by date of addition to the database.

Compose your playlist, it can then be sorted by BPM, or alphabetically or whatever you want. This playlist can be created on your main collection on the PC, but it will only be populated with tracks when your remote unit is connected to the computer.

When you’ve done your playlists, then use sync manager to update the remote unit, and you’re good to go. Now transfer to your console and browse the playlists where you will find the one you made previously.

1 Like

I think the point you made on date of addition is a key missing link. Thanks for that. That will definitely help a lot

Clearly not being able to listen to the tidal track on the desktop is a problem. I don’t know if it’s software or licensing. Hope it will be addressed

You mentioned “ This playlist can be created on your main collection on the PC, but it will only be populated with tracks when your remote unit is connected to the computer. When you’ve done your playlists, then use sync manager to update the remote unit, and you’re good to go”

I am not sure I understood but let me play a bit with that and I will revert if needed…

Much appreciated

I meant that if you have your remote connected to your computer, then you will see Tidal tracks show up inside your playlist stored in the main collection on the computer. When you eject your remote drive, if you look at your main collection playlist, you will see it empty because those tracks are only present in the remote drive.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the tip. I am stuck again. In my SD I have played the majority of songs I want to make a tidal playlist with. So unless the song is first time played in the console and thus day added is today, it’s impossible to locate songs in the playlist.

Any hints/ideas?