"There is no Send/ Return on the Prime 4!"

I am shocked. Just bought a RMX1000 expecting obviously to be able to connect it up - like you do. I just expected at this professional level of hardware to be able to outsource my fx for the ultimate setup. What would you reccommend i do? many thanks

This has been discussed a few times (links above). If you don’t want to route your master to the RMX and RMX to the speakers, and this is important to you, you might want to change the setup to something that works best for your needs.

1 Like

Oh well.

As Shain has said what you can do is run cables from the booth or zone out on the Prime 4, into your fx box then run the outputs from your fx box into a channel input on channels 1,2,3 or 4.

For wet (effected sound) , as opposed to dry , just lift the fader up in the channel that you’ve got the fx box coming in on.

Alternatively, you could always just plug the fx box inline inbetween the prime 4 master out, and your amp or speakers. Fx boxes are, however not known for their great audio quality, especially compared to a Prime, so this might not be the best way to route

1 Like

i regard the P4 as more than a controller.

• Do you have a Prime4 ?

• Did you look at the I/O area before deciding to buy the RMX?

2 Likes

Return the RMX1000 and use the FX that are already on the Prime 4.

3 Likes

the RMX 1000 is an excellent machine for effects, so before purchasing you had to be well informed about its use. You need a send / return that Prime 4 doesn’t have. You have only one viable solution:

• you connect it to the master output, but you will have the effect on the master and not on the individual channels.

I have never tried the configuration it proposes @S_Anderson

1 Like

You could also try running an fx box from the other 1850x headphone socket, as the mixer has two headphone sockets. So the 3.5mm headphones socket running into the inputs of the fx box - you’ll probably need an attenuated cable depending on how adaptive the fx box input range is.

Then still have the fx box outputs going into a spare channel on the prime 4. At least this way, you’d be able to choose which channel the fx box listens to

1 Like

guilty :grinning:

None of the standalone boards from any manufacturer supports Send/Return.

I think the XDJ-XZ has SEnD but no Return

It has indeed got a send. It also has an aux input and line ins on ch3 and ch4 which could be used as returns.

1 Like

When using samplers you can’t you the normal s/r configuration because it will lead to unwanted feedback and also it give the sampler unit the option to be a deck also.

Using sends and returning it the to ch line in has been the standard for samplers for a long time now.

the XDJ-XZ does have a send and return input/output which because the P4 is the only competitor is why I presumed this would too. I wonder if it would be a possible option for the developers on a future update? would be more than nice to record the external effects as well on the system. Well i know the FX are having a revamp. Really looking forward to these!! :smiley:

1 Like

The extra stereo in/out sockets appearing by firmware could be interesting

1 Like

@S_Anderson

can you explain this better?

Which “this” ?

Four sockets appearing by firmware or the fx box connection ?

I’ll assume that you meant the fx box connection

An fx box needs some input, some sound to work on… if you plug an fx box into the master outputs of a prime 4, then everything will have the fx applied… all four music channels, the mics , everything - you won’t be able to make the fx only effect one music channel, you’ll get the fx applied to the master output.

So, my idea is… the prime 4 has two headphone sockets , a 3.5mm and a 6.5mm socket - you’d usually only have one pair of heaps ones plugged in, so why not feed the fx unit from the other headphone socket. Any audio channel that you’re cueing in headphones will be sent to the input of the fx unit.

You can feed the output of the fx unit back into the prime 4 using any spare input, like channel 4. Just don’t queue up the effects incoming channel as you might get feedback

1 Like

If you don’t produce, either return the rmx1000 or sell the Prime4 and purchase a full prime setup. Otherwise, you could utilize hp out to rmx1000, line out from rmx1000 to line in on the mixer. Then you could utilize cue to have per channel send fx.

1 Like

The RMX1000 was designed with Send/Return in mind. You will need a mixer with Send/Return in order to get the full benefit of using a a RMX1000. Anything less and you will disappointed.

@mufasa mentioned that Pioneer’s XDJ-XZ has a SEND with no RETURN. That was implemented to accommodate a sampler (Pioneer’s DJS-1000) but not an effects unit.

It was mentioned that you can attached the RMX1000 to the Prime 4’s master outputs but I don’t think you’ll get the results/benefit of what you’re looking for.

I’ve done what others have recommended and taken the 2nd headphone socket into the RCA of the RMX1000 and back into channel 1 as an RCA input.

It works! :slight_smile: However there are now 2 volume sliders. One for the track which is cued and one for the FX. Having both on can introduce phasing which can be used i suppose. But using one or another can be more effective on certain effects. I’m not sure how a normal FX knob does not cause phasing as it outputs a bit of both too. But i am going to perservere and know eventually that i will master being able to wing it with the sliders etc. The RMX1000 unit is definately a plus and with a little flare, one can create remixes on the fly - it is that powerful! Many thanks to everyone who replied. It has been a big help! :slight_smile:

1 Like