The new search missing files feature is bs

Hello,

Not to be rude but with the new update the auto relocate function is not doing a bunch. Neither is track-per-track replacement, if Engine DJ tells you the track is not the same and you still want to replace it with the new assigned mp3, the track remains red. It’s too bad this isn’t working, getting rid of red files surely is better to prevent outside of Engine DJ itself. But this feature was made to do exactly what I am asking it, and it still doesn’t work.

Hope someone can help me out to work out how I can assign the new mp3s (that are basically the same as Engine DJ’s previous mp3 source, just from a different place) manually in a way that actually works.

2 Likes

How did the MP3 get to the new place?

I have tested a bit

1. Add MP3 to Engine DJ
  2. Move that MP3 to another folder in computer
  3. Check Engine DJ, file is now Red (as expected)
  4. Auto relocate
  5. MP3 is found and file is not red again

Even worse, I had a problem with auto relocate not finding anything, so manually relocated one file, and then watched that disappear from the playlist and move into the general collection.

That track was probably in about 10 playlists, but no idea if it vanished from them all or what. That’ll be a suprise to discover when I next dj out :man_facepalming:

Python scripting can access the Denon database so currently working on my own relocate script as at least I’ll know what it’s doing!

Hi! So the problem is not necessarily with the auto relocate function. That doesn’t seem to work, for the mere reason that the designated track is in the right folder, yet the filename and the data don’t match according to Engine DJ. Overwriting this myself by manually going through all the tracks one by one is also not permitted, although there is a function to reassign a Engine DJ track to a different Mp3 as the source, the Mp3 still remains red afterwards and unloadable. I am now working on deleting my entire library from the external hard drive, copying it back from my SSD in the Prime 4. Afterwards, I have two SSD’s containing the same Mp3’s. I hope this will restore the ability - that I previously had - to just load an Mp3 that I analyzed in Engine DJ before including all of the metadata such as BPM and its key. I’ll let you know, thank you for reaching out.

Auto relocate will not work if there are more than one copy of the file

1 Like

When I try to auto relocate a track, a browser pops up and it wants me to manually find where that track went to. This proves it isn’t auto relocate function, it’s still a manual function. The devs really need to try out Virtual DJ, which has had an auto-relocate function since 2010… and works flawlessly.

1 Like

That makes sense. It’s better that it doesn’t guess wildly and muck it up big time.

Traktor’s implementation is great too, never had any trouble with it over the years

My understanding of this is the feature would only be useful to locate the SAME file in a different place on your computer. If that file is different to the original, even if its the same track then it wont locate it, because it isnt the original file.

If you get a new copy of the track and want to add it to your library then you will need to treat it as a new file and not a direct replacement of the old one.

1 Like

What is the state of your efforts, please? We NEED this very much!

I did make a python script that succesfully did basically a find & replace looking for an old path and replaced with a new path in my whole database - eg. d:\music\dj\genres\ to e:\music\dj\

Though this was about 3 denon updates back now, I don’t know if it would still work if they’ve changed anything. I’ve not needed it since I did my initial convert over from Traktor back when this thread was going I’m afraid

OK I see. Thanl you anyway.