Tap BPM - is it possible?

Apologies for the dumb questions again but can I stretch the beatgrid on the hardware? I’ve tried so many button combinations

All I seem to do is stretch both the grid and the track with the tempo slider

Hello @cluskeysmith,

If You would read all the comments above, You would’ve noticed that we are talking about how Denon could make it happen. So this means it is not possible yet. We hope they will bring it up in some of the forms that we suggested, as we find them very easy to use and intuitive. Best regards

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you were saying it was a function already :slight_smile: sorry!

Unless Denon implements a way to custom set BPM and grid without the need of a computer, they can’t call the Prime 4 “a stand alone controller”.

Yes they can. Standalone means it can do playback of media files without the use of a connected PC.

A very simple definition used by all hardware manufacturers.

It doesn’t mean that you don’t need a PC to download media from the internet on the USB stick, edit id3 tags of said media or any other advanced function that users like you like to proclaim it’s needed when they barge in on the forum every few months.

Prime 4 is missing some functions. NONE of them are needed to be called stanalone. Deal with it.

I wondered that too initially, however it makes sense. The Engine Prime software is gig preparation software, where you load your new music, set your Cues, loops, adjust naughty grids or uneven tracks, create crates, fill playlists and all that pre-gig prep. It’s at that point, hours, days or months before gigs where some find that having a numeric bpm set down is important.

Some might say that tapping the bpm at a gig is like reading the train timetable when you’re already sitting on the train, but I realise that some DJs will be hearing music at their gigs for the first time. For such occasions there’s letting the players auto-analyse suggest a bpm, and/or mixing by ear.

Sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread, but no one has mentioned effects, and I do wish there was a tap button for effect tempo, so I figured I would add my 2 cents.

Also one thing to mention is if you are streaming all beat gridding is done live on the device as you download the songs, and you never have a chance to edit them on a computer.

1 Like

Still no update on this? There should be a tap tempo by simply pressing the shift button during “beat grid edit mode.”

When downloading and analyzing songs from tidal or SoundCloud go, the BPMs and beat grids are horribly analyzed. We can only adjust the position of the bear grid but not the actual bpm of the song