Sync problems/bugs PrimeGO

I have identified problems with the software. I just updated to 3.01, but not sure if this is a new issue since this was the longest I have used my Prime Go in standalone mode. After playing a 4 hour sundown set with varied BPM selections with about 30% mixing, I found 2 (what I would call) bugs. After the set, I sat down and was able to reproduce the problems.

In short, when I was mixing songs close to the same tempo, and using sync, the sync remained engaged. After deciding to radically change the tempo, and loading the way faster (or slower) song. It would pick up the sync that was ghosting from a previous beat mix. Then, even worse, the BPM range would automatically change up to to 50%, rather than my selected 8%, and would stay at that pitch range until the unit was powered off to reset to the selected settings.

I have been using the Prime Go mostly as midi controller for Virtual DJ, but with all the updates, I decided to try using it in standalone mode to see how comfortable I could be with it.

All was good when I was not beat mixing, and only doing radio segues.

The problems started when I started to do some mini mix sets, followed by an extreme tempo change.

To be specific, the problems described are related, but are 2 separate bugs, as follows:

1. the sync feature should only be on for a newly loaded song, when the user selects it, UNLESS there is a setting to lock sync on when the user is playing only the same genre within a very limited BPM range. It seems that that was the previous behavior when using Quantize. In all my examples of the errant behavior, quantize was not selected.

2. I applaud the software’s ability to change the BPM range when forced by engaging sync beyond the previously selected BPM range. Sometimes, that will help with an extreme mixing technique.

The problem is, manual beat mixing is impossible when the pitch range is locked in at 50%, with no way to restore back to the default, which is 8 percent, in my case.

Surely the lack of ability to restore the set default BPM range is a bug. The sync remaining on while quantize is disengaged seems like a bug as well, considering the dire consequences of forgetting to disengage sync before loading a song that way out of the BPM of the playing song.

You should be able to adjust the tempo range without a power cycle.

On the 5/6000 it’s Shift + Pitch bend button

Check your Go’s manual

2 Likes

I have a Go and as @mufasa says, hit the SHIFT + PITCH BEND buttons to get it back to your chosen pitch range. It’s displayed on the screen as you change it.

Sync behaviour can be changed. Go to USER PROFILE and under PLAYBACK you’ll see “Sync Button Action”. Make sure this is how you like it (toggle or shift-disable).

Another tip (and can be overlooked by some) but if you’ve managed to perform an extreme mix where the pitch range is really far out you’ll find a little green arrow on the screen (by the very right edge) pointing up or down. This is the soft takeover requesting that the pitch be passed by a certain point before it’s active again.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the ability to return the pitch range tonmy desired setting.

As for the sync remaining activated, I guess I will need to change my work flow to deactivate the sync immediately after my mix to prefent the catastrophes that prompted my original post.

The different softwares I have used all had the option to automatically turn off the sync after every mix. On some, that feature was overode when quantify was engaged.

Before the Engine OS usage, I would cue a song without headphones when changing genre and playing a song I have played countless times. Imagine moving to Engine OS and casually pushing play only to have Rebel Yell start pitched down to 123!

1 Like

If you pop a feature request in for a “press once” kinda sync it may gain traction and having the votes will be a good gauge in how popular it is and could sway the devs into looking more closely at a third behaviour for the sync latch/toggle/press once.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.