Sync Lead button on waveform, why?

Hi everybody, I’m new to Engine DJ and Numark Mixstream Pro, while mixing I noticed that sometimes a “LEAD SYNC” button appears on both waveforms (see attachment) and I still don’t know how to remove them. Do you have any info about this? Thanks!

Hi, you’ll find that in the settings to disable it.

ive posted a link below for where to find all the manuals.

2 Likes

That icon also appears when one of the tracks has dynamic grid, i.e. the BPM is not constant throughout the track and you have used anchors to set the grid shift points.

Or you have activated the display of those buttons for all tracks (as @STU-C rightly wrote in the previous post).

3 Likes

oh thank you! This explains why it appears with certain songs (I have some vinyl ripped tracks, with inaccurate tempo). I don’t find the option mentioned in the first reply, though, I’ll try again!

1 Like

The SYNC button always appears with dynamic grid tracks, you cannot turn it off. Instead you can make it disappear for normal fixed grid tracks, using the setting in the appropriate menu.

2 Likes

My advice for any vinyl rips is to look at replacing them with digital versions, you can pick most tracks up for 79p on itunes, or often on full compilations (with full length DJ friendly versions) for around £5/£6… makes them far easier to work with than anything recorded from a record.

Using a digital version doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll end up with straight beat grids though, if that’s the goal. If the variation is in the original track, there it will stay.

Yeah sorry i should have pre-faced that with ‘house music’, most of those tracks in the screenshot are 90s/00s dance tracks so a digital version should be perfectly quantized, i know for a fact Pasilda definitely is.

1 Like

You’re both right, some tracks simply are not quantized from the start (as I noticed for Pasilda, vinyl or digital). You should edit and fix them in Ableton or similar, but it’s quite the job :slight_smile:

In the past I would have agreed that warping in Ableton Live can be “quite the job” (not always) but there have been some recent improvements in the auto-warp since the release of the standalone Push.

With it being a standalone device (no mouse, no full size screen), having the software take care of things with little or no intervention was quite important. The same improvements apply to the desktop software.

Where are you having issues with the digital version of Pasilda?

It looks perfectly gridded to me here? unless of course you’re using a different version?

Based on the track time shown on _benny’s screen shot (7:05) it’s probably the Knee Deep mix, but there are so many mixes - I was just going through them on Spotify!

The Knee Deep 7:05 mix tested here is a straight 127.

1 Like

And if I recall, my copy of the vinyl was slightly warped at purchase so unless its been recorded with the pitch reset activated and a good turntable weight/cart and styli, its likely the vinyl rip would be moving around a bit… I might go and record it now just for fun to see how Engine copes :slight_smile:

1 Like

The other thing to watch with vinyl is off centre pressings, which are pretty common.

If the centre hole is not exactly in the centre then you can tell by any visible swaying of the headshell from side to side. If it’s really bad then you can also hear the pitch variations too (more so on sustained sounds).

Apart from being .2 BPM down on the 127 it looks pretty spot on to me? Good point on the centre hole, so many of my records are slightly off.

Edit: photo of the setup added :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you guys for all the info, I didn’t want to start a Pasilda thread :smiley: I put various anchors on the grid, first at bar 26, but I will check all the track again, I’m still experimenting with Engine DJ and probably was just a mistake.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.