SWEEP FX doesn't effect any longer in the Headphones when Prelistening after migration to v 3.1.0

I remember a discussion about if Denon should add features not labelled on the hardware or moving current features to another button. Some feel strongly that labelled buttons should always do what it says.

I thought to myself why not get skins.

Each to their own. I always welcome extra features.

2 Likes

100% with you on that.

1 Like

glad I’m not the only one that noticed this, yes the sweep FX is no longer in the CUE for when you want to “filter in” a track when mixing - this was there prior to the FX upgrade in 3.1 (prime 4 here)

3 Likes

I personally use the Sweep FX “Wash” everytime I use my Mobius Rise file I put together for use on the Prime 4.

I use “Wash” to end the Mobius Rise. I also use “Wash” for making quick and easy transitions. It’s works great for what I use it for (see attached sample video). :blush::+1:

*Note… On v3.1.0 the Noisegate Touch FX is now connected to the Sweep FX volume slider in the settings menu. If you turn down the Sweep FX volume slider in the settings menu your also turning down the Touch FX Noisgate volume and of course (what this adjustment was initially intended for) Echo, Wash, Filter & Noise as well.

1 Like

I’ll mention here the DENON PRIME GO does not have the sweep FX in the headphone cue and this has been an annoying limitation for me. If this can be fixed that would be awesome!

1 Like

Dear folk, @AirVince, @Reese, and to whom it may concern,

To keep this and linked threads slim, first I thought to write only pvt, but at last I decided to post publicly, as a lot of members made their thoughts about this topic, took time to post and so on. Thank’s again.

I think it’s time to make a little interim report on you, and I will make it brief as possible:

• Imo most of us want to have FX (Sweep, FX1 and FX2) on the one hand before the fader (you can hear the signal in the headphone when you are prelistening and before opening the fader) and on the other hand behind the fader as well. At the moment, v3.1.0 is able to support only behind the faders. SWEEP FX (Filter, Wash, Echo, and Noise) expired with v3.0.1 for prelistening. As some members recommended, you should be able, to choose, if you want to prelisten or to be on air.

• I want to point out again that I and others have the problem exclusively with the SWEEP FX “Filter” when we are beatmatching and want to assimilate our tracks and we are prelistening / cueing and / or have to monitor our mix when we alter the frequencies (high, middle-range and low) since v3.1.0 it is impossible to prelisten though it is necessary.

• Today I made a test with three tracks simultaneously in v3.1.0 and v3.0.1 (Criticize -Critical Mix- Alexander o’ Neal; Let The Rhythm Pump -Chop DUB-Doug Lazy; and Deputy of Love Don Armando’s Second Avenue Rhumba Band) —> the mix created with v3.1.0 was simply a tragedy.

During the test I had the furthermore idea, namely that when an update will be out regarding this topic, it should be a tool / feature for handling all FX (SWEEP; FX1, FX2, Touch) which is able to choose between

1. Regarding SWEEP FX: Prelisten or not (before the fader)
  2. Regarding all other FX (FX1, Fx2, and touch FX): Activated and prelistening (before the fader)
  3. Regarding all other FX (FX1, Fx2, and touch FX): Activated, but only to hear, when you open the fader (behind the fader)

—> how to controll: 2 = light on at the FX1, FX2 tap; 3 = light flickering at the FX1, FX2 tap. On = prelistening and on air: hit the tap, shift and on = only on air

This idea to diversify came to me, when I thought about the effect e.g. “Reverse Verb” or “Echo”. When you have such kind of effects always in your headphone, when you prepare or have to monitor a transition, imo it will be impossible to monitor as you can’t identify the beat properly.

I think it’s hard stuff and will do for the moment.

Good night and brgds BeatMaster

2 Likes

by the way, I think they have also removed the 3/4 roll effect… I don’t understand the reason

They added 3/4 roll to the pads instead didn’t they?

i think not…i’ll check again

edit:

confirmed! no roll 3/4 in prime 4 ver 3.1

I thought I saw DJ Carlo using it, could be wrong.

1 Like

Dear @AIRVince, @JWiLL,@Reese and all concerned,

I will revert to this

and I have the quick question, how realistic it will be that this matter will be restored or improved in another procedure?

I miss this feature so badly: I’m training beatmatching without this feature and believe me, it’s hard concentration and difficult to handle it…

Against the background of this post

https://community.enginedj.com/t/eq-limiters-dj-gear-headphones-tinnitus/50021

I feel free, to think it over and imo it will ease the work of all of “headphoneworkers using different headphones” and will take care of the health when prelistening, if you are able to adjust the signal as individual as needed personally.

Furthermore there is a similar feature request here in the forum as follows:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/pre-fader-or-post-fader-auto-switch-for-sweep-fx-and-fx-effects/49344/1

Thank’S in advance for your endeavours in this matter and brainstorming a solution among DENON’s staff.

Enjoy the day and brgds from HAM

BeatMaster

1 Like

Of course everything should be available to hear before Channel Fader when cued in the headphones :headphones:, it’s the control room!

It should not be a surprise what the filters or FX sounds like when going out to the audience :loud_sound:. It’s against the essence of preparing things, and deliver a deliberate mix.

I don’t hear filters or wash out(Sweep FX), or the FX section in the Prime GO(3.1.1), in the headphones. Needs a fix!

2 Likes

Dear @LM-2 and all, who are interested in this matter,

I want to make up this thread a little bit out of topic, but I think it will be a comparison.

You may feel free to skip :innocent:

so here we go:

Some weeks ago, I was with my car at maintenance, important: it’s a left hand driver.

When I want to collect my car, I detected that suddenly the rear mirror on the right side was demounted and I really was surprised. The craftsman advised me as follows:

“Don’t worry, software will do these tasks in future ((e.g. watching the cyclists when turning to the right, parking in watching the pavement edge and so on)”.

Ah OK, good improvement, but unfortunately they forgot to delevop and installing the software for the rear view camera.

Impact is programmed.

Enjoy the weekend and freak out.

Brgds BeatMaster

Thanks for creating this thread. I am really missing the ability to hear filter sweep effects in headphones as I often use it on incoming tracks. This now means I’m no longer able to preview how much of the effect has been applied brfore mixing in. I’d love Denon to fix this issue and restore sweep effects to the headphone preview!

3 Likes

Hello,

I have the Prime 4+ and I have the same issue as you with the latest update and it’s really annoying. I hope it will get fixed soon ! :slight_smile:

Best

4 Likes

Yeah this change has really made the filter unusable for me. I can’t believe they’d make such a fundamental change to a core capability of a mixer, it really boggles the mind. :confused:

3 Likes

You can of course memorise the position of the filter and where its best suited for mixing tracks together, the same method the rest of us use for our Prime gear that has never had the ability to pre-listen. Its an annoying update that has come off the back of switching the mixer from hardware to software based (an update that has allowed for other features to be implemented), but to call it ‘unusable’ is a bit of an exaggeration, its a change of workflow is all.

Yeah but why not put a switch in the config to let us choose Pre or Post Fader, like other “software” mixers allow

like even NI has that option and they are not known for listening to customers… after reading this thread I am not sure if I should sell my NI S4 and really go for the P4+

I like the Engine OS but it missed some features that even where in Denon players back in the day

1 Like

Moin @N3LSON,

thanks for your comment and perhaps there will be an improvement within a next update and perhaps even as @Reese recommended in #31, which you marked with a heart :wink:

Furthermore pls have a look at these posts here in this thread. In # 52 you will find two additional links :wink:

Enjoy the day and brgds BeatMaster

Pre-listening to the effects is essential and at first I couldn’t believe that it wasn’t possible on my SC Live 2. Please denon Dj give us this function!

Pre-listening to the effects is essential and at first I couldn’t believe that it wasn’t possible on my SC Live 2. Please denon Dj give us this function!

2 Likes