Streaming from a Hotspot Smartphone

Is it possible for Dennon to developed an Smartphone App that would allow streaming through Hotspot connection? For Example, if I had music on an android phone and created a Hotspot with that phone, would it be possible to play that music via steaming with Prime Hardware with a corresponding app in the Prime? It would be amazing to tie in the power of my phone into my performances. Also not totally relying on a subscription service, for on the fly track plays. Tez

Hi, can you explain a bit further as your comment is quite confusing, are you saying you want to play music stored on your phone using the Denon devices? or are you wanting your phone to be a wifi hot spot to connect to streaming services?

Hi Yes, as the Primes have WiFi capabilities and the newer phones having so much RAM power and dual function, I was wondering if streaming direct from a Smartphone was possible. Without the use of any other WiFi connection.

I don’t think you’ll get full latency free manipulation of the track (scratching etc) but Phil Morse said in a video some time back that the prime devices will have Bluetooth enabled soon, this will allow you to at least play music from a mobile device on the player. Is that what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Even if the shared track could be held in the Prepare folder after download.

I have played in venues with no common WiFi available and had requests which I could only download on my phone and use the AUX in.

@STU-C

I think what @DIVE80 is referring to is a smartphone app that lets you access tracks stored in the smartphone and load them into the decks via wifi. A bit like the Engine Remote library but in the form of a smartphone app

In fact, what he’s asking for is a mobile version of Engine Desktop that lets you create playlists and connect via remote wifi.

2 Likes

Ahhh ok, I get it now. I’d say that’s going to be a good distance away if it comes at all isn’t it.

1 Like

You can store your tracks on your phone in a dropbox cloud account and choose your dropbox account as the source on your equipment to access your tracks directly in the meantime.

But you’ll still need a network connection to access your dropbox account where you play.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input guys I can see by your suggestions and a little research on the net; which ever way I go it will cost a subscription to download or stream. I suppose the Dennon Prime work flow environment is a commercial one. Bluetooth on Prime Hardware might open up new avenues in Android devices becoming a Source in the menu. Amazon, Beatport and other streaming services might have their own ideas about what is free or not.

If the music is stored on the phone then you don’t need a hotspot, wifi or internet connection - and the music wouldn’t be streamed.

Playing back music on the phone and being able to feed that via Bluetooth to the hardware also wouldn’t require a Denon app.

Presumably you would just play back the music the same way as when you listen directly on the phone.

Hopefully this functionality won’t be too far away.

1 Like

By the way we all know that there is a bluetooth chip inside. Why they have not activated yet? For streaming or for wireless headphones maybe.

1 Like

Im guessing things like that need to be tested to ensure there are no adverse effects on other areas of the hardware… you can’t just turn something like that ‘on’ and roll it out to end users.

1 Like

Yes STU correct, but i think there are too many firmware updates, with new and more advanced functionalities, all these years for prime 4 so it is strange for me why they have not activated yet.

1 Like

Its already been teased by a couple of Youtuber’s as apparently coming soon, i guess we just need to be patient and wait for them to be in a position to roll it out.

3 Likes

yes, a mobile version engine desktop app is really necessary for create playlists anywhere, and cellphone wifi based engine remote library function is more convenient than take the laptop anytime or transit the the playlist to the flashdisk when u need it.

That would involve there being a cloud service for your library, which would undoubtedly cost a lot of money (as per the Pioneer version)… Otherwise how would a mobile app know what music you had in your library?

We already have Dropbox integration on the Prime hardware, so that would be one option. Alternatively have the Engine database synced to the phone via the desktop app (Sync Manager).