STEMS, STEMS, STEMS everywhere

Both VDJ and Serato also have live stem separation. It’s to avoid the user complaints about stems on lower end systems for users that don’t think to pre-compute stems.

It’s just like when we release a new software build at work. We have to put training wheels warnings on every release just to eliminate the calls from users who don’t follow directions.

The fact still remains that people like Mojaxx and Phil Morse have been asked repeatedly for months now about Stems on standalone devices and they have consistently said ‘no, its not something that will be included on current generation devices’

These aren’t my words, they are the words of respected people in the industry who have direct lines into the brands who create the gear.

You having lots of theories about how much or how little power is needed is just your opinion on it and should be seen as just that, in light of the information we are hearing from the people with connections.

Notice how Pioneer have just released a new ‘flagship’ standalone with one of the main selling points being a better processor. Notice how they included stems as a function…oh wait.

1 Like

Pioneer is a poor example here. Their devices tend to always be a good 3-5 years behind just due to playing it safe.

I’ll stop hoping for it the day someone from InMusic comes back saying they will not pursue it. I believe there was a video a couple years back where Phil Morse also said he didn’t see sample playback coming to the denon devices as well.

In the meantime, we can also hope for Algoriddim to implement the long awaiting screen integration for computer mode on the denon players.

That’s fair enough, and hoping for them to include it is fine. Im just trying to offer a more realistic outlook on it being included, people often set their expectations at a high bar to be ultimately disappointed when the feature they had convinced themselves will 100% be implemented, hasn’t.

1 Like

I did say that, however I did not say any DJs on this platform. If someone on this platform said that or eluded to it, I have not read that. I also agree that it probably will not be on any current gear (you can find that quote somewhere in my post as well :grin:)

The power is needed to PROCESS the stems (i.e. analyse the track when it loads) not to “run” stems.

VDJ for example uses the GPU to calculate the stems, and the more powerful your graphics card, the faster they’ll get calculated. VDJ also offers an option to use the CPU, or to precompute tracks into packaged stems files (like the Traktor method but separated from the stereo file). Playing those back doesn’t require raw power.

I think the only way we will see it in Engine software or hardware is if/when Denon decide to make a “stems-compatible” hardware device with dedicated functionality for stems. The only “stems-ready” controller is the Rane 4 at the moment.

I don’t see thaaaat many DJ’s actually mixing and fully using the stems feature in clubs and during live sets (YET), apart from the usual acapella/instrumental transitions…

I think it’s a cool feature for creating acapellas and instrumentals on the fly, but it can do so much more, it just requires a lot of preparation than “regular” djing.

I also think the technology still has room for improvement, but more importantly the adoption in the market is still going to take a while.

It’s cool that Serato made a big marketing push with stems, it got all the other players in the industry moving a bit more proactively. But it’s still early days, excited to see how it continues to develop :fire:

1 Like

Tell us, on who exactly did you mean when you said “others in this thread”? If those “others” are not DJ’s, they are what…squirrels?

2 Likes

I do not like to quote other users in order to prove a point. There doesn’t appear to be an APA format requirement for posting. However you could check around the Nov 2022 timestamp or use your web browser’s Find function on this page for the term “pipe dream” from another user as one example. My initial sentence was based on information I have heard throughout the DJ community…not what I read hear. The successive sentence you quoted is a separate thought that I indeed gathered from various sentiments here. It is contrary to Moore’s Law. If you do not agree, no worries. But I do not want to engage in trolling behavior…it gets us off the subject of this thread and proves to be counterproductive. Wouldn’t you agree?

Let’s get back to the idea of implementing stems and why it may not happen in the current iteration. My thoughts are that there isn’t internal storage availability beyond the operating system and the demo files on the Prime devices. So the stems are a combination of created files and metadata that need to be stored somewhere. My Akai Force has a small bit of internal storage, but I upgraded it with a 1TB SSD drive. Maybe that would be a practical solution…would probably increase the price. Maybe the Prime devices could be programmed, in a sort of hybrid iteration, to use external drive to store the resulting stems. Thoughts?

1 Like

Good point on the usage of stems as limited to transitions. I have been using stems quite regularly since DJay Pro’s implementation on the iPad. At the time, I was in between powerful laptops and started using it heavily on my iOS devices. I didn’t mind the artifacts too much because the rewards of more interesting transitions overshadowed it. The way engineers mix artist’s vocals like Doja Cat and Drake hide some of the stuff you would hear in older recordings. With the improved quality in Serato and VDJ, my mixes are regulary “mashed up” for 25%-50% of a given song when it makes sense of course. Been doing it live on the air on KDEE here in Sacramento and the callers are intrigued they but don’t know exactly why lol. Definitely refreshes the throwbacks.

2 Likes

Maybe Denon could develop and release a hardware upgrade in the form of an additional box with an external CPU/GPU that would plug into one of the USB ports providing the power needed to separate the stems in real time, and that would be compatible with the whole current range. This is just a personal thought here, no idea if it is technically possible.

Oh yeah, it’s possible! But not probable. Sadly.

It is possible, but I can only imagine the amount of support tickets it could lead to. That’s a solid idea tho.

I believe that’s commonly known as “a computer”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A computer that can load something like, you know, DJ software:)

Actually, just for laughs I wanted to see if I could run VDJ on my son’s Chromebook. It did easily, I even had FX on both stems and the usage meter in VDJ didn’t go above 15% and those were on WAV’s too.

1 Like

Eh? I assume you’re talking about using the remote desktop to access VDJ on a PC? FYI the Chromebook isn’t running VDJ - the PC is.

My thoughts exactly. Is there a Chromebook OS version of VDJ or Serato for that matter?

None of the major players do a Chromebook version as far as I’m aware.

There is not. Either the commenter is lying or they installed windows on the Chromebook.

1 Like